U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM

49 posts, read 32,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Lol .. You must drive a company vehicle or an old vehicle that you don't care about to be willing to ride around those areas for fun.. Tires & rims / balancing / alignments way too expensive for me.
Not a company car. It is very rare if you can get hold of my kind of car. (No it is not Antique) :-)
I dont replace tires and rims that often. I get what you mean.
Over the years I learned how to drive on Jack city roads. And I drive on my own precious dime.
Like I said I like to drive around in the city. It is fun to watch "life" around in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM

684 posts, read 425,557 times
Quote:
Lol .. You must drive a company vehicle or an old vehicle that you don't care about to be willing to ride around those areas for fun.. Tires & rims / balancing / alignments way too expensive for me.
I say that besides the road condition, it's nothing extraordinary to be paranoid about those areas. I went through Washington Addition, West Capitol St, Mill St, Northside Dr, & Farish St ( African store was a hidden gem to me). Besides the obvious needs for redevelopment , it's just like every other large city in this country.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM

725 posts, read 404,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennyG View Post
Over the years I learned how to drive on Jack city roads. And I drive on my own precious dime.
Haha, yeah, I drove around downtown Jackson back in May and it wasn't THAT bad if you are watching and driving carefully.

That Ridgewood Road stuff was just unforgivable though, but that was negligence.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM

691 posts, read 646,638 times
N Mill Street (around Lucky Town) is much worse than all of those, it is almost impassable. It's been a month or two, hopefully, it has been repaved recently.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM

146 posts, read 91,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I say that besides the road condition, it's nothing extraordinary to be paranoid about those areas. I went through Washington Addition, West Capitol St, Mill St, Northside Dr, & Farish St ( African store was a hidden gem to me). Besides the obvious needs for redevelopment , it's just like every other large city in this country.
You are also the same race as the majority in Jackson, us white folks get quite the stares when we ride through some parts of Jackson. I've also had to just sit in the middle of the road and wait 2-3 minutes for people to get out of the middle of the road before passing, I would not want to interrupt their conversation -- and by the way they stared me down as I waited, they would not have been too happy if I interrupted their conversation either.

I don't think paranoid is the right word. But I do have a relatively new vehicle with expensive tires and rims that I do not care to destroy just to go sight seeing in the ghetto. I have had people drive me around in a company vehicle though -- there is no paranoia it's just a constant head-shake that humans could allow their surroundings to get so terrible. There are able bodies everywhere walking around/sitting around, but it still appears that caring for the community is the exception rather than the rule.

I go around my neighborhood and pick up trash and mow/weed whack any areas that get overgrown. By the looks of things -- That is not something the residents of Jackson seem to care too much about. Just dump the trash on the neighboring overgrown lot and move on with your life.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You are also the same race as the majority in Jackson, us white folks get quite the stares when we ride through some parts of Jackson. I've also had to just sit in the middle of the road and wait 2-3 minutes for people to get out of the middle of the road before passing, I would not want to interrupt their conversation -- and by the way they stared me down as I waited, they would not have been too happy if I interrupted their conversation either.

I don't think paranoid is the right word. But I do have a relatively new vehicle with expensive tires and rims that I do not care to destroy just to go sight seeing in the ghetto. I have had people drive me around in a company vehicle though -- there is no paranoia it's just a constant head-shake that humans could allow their surroundings to get so terrible. There are able bodies everywhere walking around/sitting around, but it still appears that caring for the community is the exception rather than the rule.

I go around my neighborhood and pick up trash and mow/weed whack any areas that get overgrown. By the looks of things -- That is not something the residents of Jackson seem to care too much about. Just dump the trash on the neighboring overgrown lot and move on with your life.
Trust me when i say your not the only ones that get the stare. It's the same effect if a Black person goes through certain white neighborhoods. Work both ways depending on the situation.

It's depend by some ghetto blocks , some areas are well kept. I ride around looking at it from a historic perspective and hidden gems.

It's not the entire Jackson city residents as it's just mainly the low income neighborhoods.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Trust me when i say your not the only ones that get the stare. It's the same effect if a Black person goes through certain white neighborhoods. Work both ways depending on the situation.

It's depend by some ghetto blocks , some areas are well kept. I ride around looking at it from a historic perspective and hidden gems.

It's not the entire Jackson city residents as it's just mainly the low income neighborhoods.
haha, just curious, what's up with the punctuation there?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
haha, just curious, what's up with the punctuation there?
Typing fast on work break

Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Typing fast on work break

I'm talking about capitalizing 'Black' and keeping 'white' lower case (as it should be). You did it in another thread too, and I've seen some other people do it too, in other areas.

I just notice small things like that. The racial divide is the biggest issue keeping Mississippi down today, so I'm a little sensitive to it. And I just wish that both blacks and whites, even if they disagree about things fundamentally, would get it through their heads that they need each other, and the future of Mississippi will have to involve both, if they want to be successful.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'm talking about capitalizing 'Black' and keeping 'white' lower case (as it should be). You did it in another thread too, and I've seen some other people do it too, in other areas.

I just notice small things like that. The racial divide is the biggest issue keeping Mississippi down today, so I'm a little sensitive to it. And I just wish that both blacks and whites, even if they disagree about things fundamentally, would get it through their heads that they need each other, and the future of Mississippi will have to involve both, if they want to be successful.
Cultural fault zones isn't just Mississippi issue it's the whole country. Mississippi's gets overblown attention for bigotry/rascism when there are other states with equal or more cultural faults. As I always call it, America's Scar.

Wishful thinking is all I can say. I don't see any major movements within the white communities to expel the bigots out their mist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson