U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2018, 09:01 PM
 
687 posts, read 643,448 times
Reputation: 1235

Advertisements

Jackson Jambalaya: Unbelievable.

Anyone who had the means to move, yet still chooses to live in Jackson, what are you thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 AM
 
575 posts, read 564,610 times
Reputation: 571
This happened in Horn Lake A LOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,134 posts, read 3,954,362 times
Reputation: 11030
"...They approach me because many times I have on the bourgeoise uniform of a shirt and tie..."


Kingfish was vague about whose Facebook screed he was posting, but if the above quote is by Adofo Minka (an apparent male), then I have to wonder if Adofo is a cross-dresser (not that there's anything wrong with that). Because if he has on "the bourgeoise uniform", then he's wearing Middle Class women's clothing.


According to Google Dictionary, 'bourgeoise' means:
"adjective
adjective: bourgeoise
  1. 1.
    of or characteristic of female members of the bourgeoisie."
I would beg Adofo Minka Person to learn the difference between 'bourgeois', 'bourgeoise', and 'bourgeoisie'.

Alternately, he (or 'they'), could stop using such bourgeois language, since he (or 'they') seems to be in over his (or 'their') head, where the English and French languages are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Jackson Jambalaya: Unbelievable.

Anyone who had the means to move, yet still chooses to live in Jackson, what are you thinking?
Idk, do you have a link to a real news article on this, or just a wildly biased opinion piece?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 AM
 
687 posts, read 643,448 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Idk, do you have a link to a real news article on this, or just a wildly biased opinion piece?
Not sure about the commentary, but the video is from WJTV.

Last edited by viverlibre; 08-27-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 AM
 
146 posts, read 90,494 times
Reputation: 278
Just let them have it.

It blows my mind why anyone that cares about anything would still try to live or run a business in the city limits of Jackson.

Only a matter of time before your property, life, or auto are stolen/damaged/destroyed and NO ONE CARES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
722 posts, read 401,695 times
Reputation: 1078
Same as New Orleans, Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta. The only difference is size. Not sure why anyone thinks it is a Jackson only problem.

As for the people, yeah, who cares about them. No sense in even engaging them. With that attitude, they'll keep themselves down and out.

As for why they are having the hearing, it's simply to say they did their due diligence, and most of these federal projects require it. It doesn't really stop or change anything.

Either way, investments in downtown Jackson are coming, and there's nothing the haters here or the haters in that video can do about it. Certain areas of Jackson will rise and poorer people will get priced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM
 
687 posts, read 643,448 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

Either way, investments in downtown Jackson are coming, and there's nothing the haters here or the haters in that video can do about it. Certain areas of Jackson will rise and poorer people will get priced out.
Downtown is not where investment is needed. Downtown is downtown, other than being much less occupied than when I moved here in 95, it's not in bad shape, nor is it unsafe (no one is there after 5 or during the weekends). There are a few crumbling buildings, but most people really don't notice them.

Development should be directed toward the Belhaven/Fondren and Lakeland Drive area (that is within the city limits).

All of the above cities you mentioned are in a thousand times better shape than Jackson, which has absolutely nothing going for it.

There are really only a few semi-safe neighborhoods left in Jackson, with the Eastover area being the most notable and the buffer around it is shrinking.

Last edited by viverlibre; 08-27-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM
 
146 posts, read 90,494 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Same as New Orleans, Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta. The only difference is size. Not sure why anyone thinks it is a Jackson only problem.

As for the people, yeah, who cares about them. No sense in even engaging them. With that attitude, they'll keep themselves down and out.

As for why they are having the hearing, it's simply to say they did their due diligence, and most of these federal projects require it. It doesn't really stop or change anything.

Either way, investments in downtown Jackson are coming, and there's nothing the haters here or the haters in that video can do about it. Certain areas of Jackson will rise and poorer people will get priced out.
Great. They can spend millions, billions. Doesn't matter. If you're a homeowner or business owner in Jackson -- the city does not care about you. They are not going to allocate resources to protect you or your property. If by some stroke of luck they do manage to arrest the offender that stole from you or killed your family member, he/she will be back out on the street within a few days or weeks.

I just wish people that care about their surroundings and their city would move to a city that will return the favor. Jackson does not meet this criteria.

The city's leaders are too concerned about finding ways to spend money on "downtown" to actually care about any resident or business.

Last edited by dwashington; 08-27-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
722 posts, read 401,695 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Downtown is not where investment is needed. Downtown is downtown, other than being much less occupied than when I moved here in 95, it's not in bad shape, nor is it unsafe (no one is there after 5 or during the weekends). There are a few crumbling buildings, but most people really don't notice them.

Development should be directed toward the Belhaven/Fondren and Lakeland Drive area (that is within the city limits).

All of the above cities you mentioned are in a thousand times better shape than Jackson, which has absolutely nothing going for it.

There are really only a few semi-safe neighborhoods left in Jackson, with the Eastover area being the most notable and the buffer around it is shrinking.
Well, that's what I meant.

I agree those cities are in better shape, because they are bigger. More comparable cities are probably Montgomery and Macon. Jackson can certainly do as well as those.

There is nothing about Jackson that makes it any worse, per capita, than any other city in the south. It's the financial and government center of the state of Mississippi, it's not going away unless Mississippi does. That may happen, but it won't be for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top