U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM

687 posts, read 643,448 times

Advertisements

I was traveling down Riverside Drive the other day and it struck me that when I moved to Jackson in 1995, Riverside Drive was considered one of the worst roads in the city. Fast forward to today and it's one of the better roads in Jackson and no work (except repairing water leaks) has been done on Riverside in the past 23 years!

Worst to First without even trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:57 PM

3,134 posts, read 3,954,362 times
That's really an amazing statement (and it may take an accomplished logician to grasp the deliberate irony in what you're saying)!

I think that Babette and Izzi had made it out to Riverside, a couple of weeks back, when they called with the news that they'd renamed 'Belhaven'. "It' now HELLHAVEN! You should SEE this place. It's noticeably worse than it was, six weeks ago, the last time we drove through here."

One of them had an assistant in the car, and I had an assistant in MY car, and so I got to see it LIVE. They were "streaming", and so proud of themselves.

They were creeping over one of those humps which have been there since 'Dale Days' (except now, the humps have become "somewhat more articulated than in the past"), and contemplating which crater was the least likely to rip the guts out of a Jaguar (you can't drive around or between potholes, now. There's not enough good pavement left, for that. You just have to decide which are among the lesser evils, and hope you've chosen to drive over the potholes which are least likely to snap your steering arms or axles or whatever.)

Well, about half the OTHER drivers didn't understand, apparently, what bushing arms, and struts, and wheel bearings and shock absorbers COST, and were "menacing" poor Babette. This is a girl whose mother was a Delta Debutante (a group who used to take their cussing seriously). Thus, Babette can cuss more effectively than anyone I've ever seen - and being from multicultural Greenville, can do so in a variety of languages - although it's her delivery that will curdle your blood (well... that and her malicious intent... and the sincerity with which she drives the point home, that the object of her fury should never have been born, and needs to die, immediately.). And Izzi is a good cusser, too. So, I'm seeing the Jaguar lurching over the humps, and into the sunken spots following the humps, and the scenery lurching with the camera, while those two are spitting exotic obscenities and gesticulating at the people "menacing" them.

.......and then, to show me "this weird dynamic", they arbitrarily turn onto Myrtle Street, which is now dotted with all sorts of unpaved areas and sinkholes and barricades and piles of gravel. It's still a quiet little dell of a place. But now, it's like a zombie movie, with the car having to crawl along stretches of gravel, drive around obstructions, and stop for the joggers/dog-walkers/baby-strollers, who're sort of stopped and waiting for YOU (Are you an actual human with normal caution and driving skills? Or are you a zombie-on-wheels, who'll run them over? They don't know what to do, and the drivers don't know what to do, and everybody's staring at everybody, because the street is so torn-up, all precedents are pretty-much nonexistent, at this point.).

So, I know what you mean. Mill Street has deteriorated to a surreal degree: https://www.wjtv.com/news/metro/road...eet/1423540622 And even ritzy Crane Boulevard (or a street parallel to it) now has this virtual SWAMP... BOG stretch of missing pavement that you really wonder whether the vehicle is going to make it through. And North State, north of Fondren, is beginning to look like something out of 'Life After People'.

So YES! Riverside Drive is movin'-on-up! (by deteriorating relatively slowly, while other streets are sliding backward at faster rates).

Old 09-11-2018, 07:28 AM

1,195 posts, read 892,790 times
Mill Street was one of the absolute worst that I'd seen during my days living in the Jackson metro area (2006 to 2015). In general, there were almost no streets where I felt safe testing the speed limit, as my poor car would have suffered even more from hitting all of the potholes and sinking spots in the road.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 908,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Mill Street was one of the absolute worst that I'd seen during my days living in the Jackson metro area (2006 to 2015). In general, there were almost no streets where I felt safe testing the speed limit, as my poor car would have suffered even more from hitting all of the potholes and sinking spots in the road.
I haven't been to Jackson in many years (other than just driving through on I-55 about 20 years ago), but what used to be a nice, attractive town now looks (based on that Mill St video from the Jackson television station) like a third world country. What happened?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 PM

687 posts, read 643,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I haven't been to Jackson in many years (other than just driving through on I-55 about 20 years ago), but what used to be a nice, attractive town now looks (based on that Mill St video from the Jackson television station) like a third world country. What happened?
Dude the whole thing is a thrid world country. A poor city in a poor state with absolutely no competent leadership in decades and massive corruption.

Virtually everyone with money has left, including business, professional firms, etc. If not for governmental employees there'd hardly be any employed people in the city.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
RocketDawg, these days, just driving THROUGH Jacktown on the Interstates, is not as easy and safe as it once was. There have been reports of people shooting at strangers, on I55 and I20, and of people being successfully MURDERED while driving on I220 (constructed during a period of optimism, to complete the "loop" around what was expected to become a throbbing metropolis).

I'm sure you've experienced the drivers in Birmingham, tearing around like headless chickens (something I always dread, when I take that route). Well, Jackson has those, too - more heavily on I55, south of 'Dead Man's Curve', all along the stretch of I20 running through JackCity, and especially on I220 (which is driven entirely by impaired, incompetent, inebriated, and uninsured people in hooptierides, going very, VERY fast - frequently while shooting at other motorists: https://www.wapt.com/article/man-kil...i-220/12040989 ).

(At this point, I would like to remind everyone that uninsured headless chickens driving cars, are why you need at least half-a-million in Uninsured Motorist Coverage - in case one of them hits you and sends you to the hospital.)

Oh, and did I mention that Mississippi no longer requires annual Vehicle Inspection Stickers? There's no-telling what (or "whut", as the Governor would say) you will encounter on those roads.

WHAT HAPPENED TO JACKSON? Oh, MY... It's a long story.

There were certain factors which set the stage. The fact that so many fine old Victorian and 1920s homes were torn-down, simply because they were no longer 'in-fashion', meant that the interesting sorts who love such homes, had fewer reasons to remain within Jackson-proper, or within Mississippi.

Cincinnati, Brooklyn Heights, Flatbush, and now even Weehawken (https://www.google.com/search?q=Weeh...ih=735#imgrc=_) are revitalization hotspots, primarily because they abound with wonderful old houses, which attract nice people who want to fix them up.

Same with Des Moines' Sherman Hill area, which has been reclaimed, to much acclaim: https://www.google.com/search?q=Sher...w=1181&bih=735 Well, a lot remains of 'Old Jackson'. But much, MUCH more was torn asunder, simply in the name of progress. Those stately Jackson houses were every bit as fine as the finest houses in Weehawken or Flatbush. But they're GONE. And so, not enough of the kinds of people who would have fallen in love with them (and who would have found ways to make a living in Jackson, in order to live in those houses) remained. Instead, they moved to other places in other states. A FEW such people are not enough for a sustainable community.

Then, there were all the anti-Gay laws (anti-'Sodomy', anti-Gay-Marriage...), which sent a clear message to many of the 'interesting sorts' who would have remained in Jackson and Mississippi, that they were not welcome, and might even be in danger. Too, those laws, along with all the anti-woman laws, illustrated, for my kids, and my friends' kids, that Mississippi was hateful and backwards - and getting worse: not better. Whether or not a person was directly impacted by those laws, they sent a clear message that Mississippi was not a place with a future. Our children, and our friends' children, announced that they were not going to Mississippi schools, and that they were NOT coming back. They urged us to follow, and we did (as did many people we know).

The above is important, because it means that the metro, as a whole, is losing 'movers & shakers & job-makers'. More fine homes are being built, than there are fine people to live in them. More chic shopping venues are being built (Man says God told him to destroy horse statues with chainsaw, sledgehammer), than there are chic people to shop in them. Something's gotta give. Someplace has got to be deserted. There just aren't enough 'people of substance' to go around, in a state where nobody wants to live. There aren't enough gentry to gentrify all that needs gentrifying.

So, situations like this arise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsaiYR5tZ8

Then, of course, there's the leadership. Plenty has been posted about THAT. However, the leaders merely, in my opinion, walked onto a stage which had already been set. They are a product of the times, more than they inform the current era. But most recent, just as an illustration, there's this news tidbit, about one of the more prominent mainstays of Jackson's legal system: Prosecutors rest in D.A. Robert Shuler Smith domestic assault trial His romantic life is not all that's been investigated, recently.

And did you say "THIRD WORLD COUNTRY"? Well, now that you mention it, Jackson IS apparently intended as the Capital of the New Kingdom of Kush, both according to PapaChok Lumumba, a recent Mayor (A Quiet Push for), and in the eyes of his successor, current Mayor BabyChok Lumumba: https://www.oxfordamerican.org/item/...ist-experiment.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-12-2018 at 01:51 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 AM

722 posts, read 401,695 times
Quote:
It's not nearly as bad as the City Data clowns would have you believe. Jackson reminds me a lot of Montgomery, except bigger. A big part of the city is crappy, but a few areas can be really nice with some development, which will eventually come.

And of course, Jackson's suburbs are nicer than Montgomery's. Jackson has the aspects of Birmingham and Montgomery (scaled down for a smaller state) in that it is the financial and logistical center of MS, like B'ham is for AL, and also the governmental center of the state, like Montgomery.

Jackson is only really missing some development there along the river, and it could have a pretty cool downtown area, like Montgomery.

Last edited by Mississippi Alabama Line; 09-12-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM

666 posts, read 419,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
It's not nearly as bad as the City Data clowns would have you believe. Jackson reminds me a lot of Montgomery, except bigger. A big part of the city is crappy, but a few areas can be really nice with some development, which will eventually come.

And of course, Jackson's suburbs are nicer than Montgomery's. Jackson has the aspects of Birmingham and Montgomery (scaled down for a smaller state) in that it is the financial and logistical center of MS, like B'ham is for AL, and also the governmental center of the state, like Montgomery.

Jackson is only really missing some development there along the river, and it could have a pretty cool downtown area, like Montgomery.
Thank you once again. Just was down there a couple weekends ago. Vast majority of downtown ( except North Mill st, under repair) is underrated.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:20 AM

December through February are really the only months, in Mississippi, when a person can reliably dress well. In other months, depending on which way the winds are blowing, the heat can factor into your logistics. These, "The Good Months", are when Southerners get a break from having to dress for staying cool, and get to wear the things that make them look good.

There are no mountain ranges to stop the cold winds which sometimes blow down out of Canada. But mostly, the prevailing winds come from the southwest - across Mexico, picking up humidity, as they skirt the Gulf of Mexico. December's the month when temperatures remain just-right, day and night. By February, things (particularly the car) can heat-up quite a bit, during the day, while nighttime temps can get pipe-freezing-cold.

Portland is actually in a MILDER climate zone, in winter, than is most of Mississippi. Manhattan is about the same. And the Hamptons get winters about like those in Northeast Mississippi. In winter (December thru February), whatever you're wearing in Manhattan, is probably fine in Jackson. You almost never need the big, ugly, insulating layers that make people shapeless, in some parts of the country. So, it's really the time for wearing the clothes that make you look best. More than likely, cowboy boots, jeans, and silk or cotton sweaters, with a Mafia-length cashmere coat to throw on at night, or if there's a cold snap blowing down from Canada, and a big pashmina scarf (JUST IN CASE) - are good for comfortable casual wear - just like in Manhattan. More likely, nights will get just chilly enough that you'll want to don a leather bomber jacket, over your long-sleeved silk tee or cotton cableknit (and no, it probably WON'T be cool enough to wear the former under the latter, although you DO need that OPTION: Capisce?).

Really, during "the good months" (Dec. - Feb.), we can get on a little jet in East Hampton, and fly to Madison (https://goo.gl/images/GbUXLX), and not have to "adjust, thermally". Do that in SUMMER (Mid-May through late September), and the wave of heat that will hit you as you disembark the plane, will have you thinking you've arrived in HELL - specifically, the part of Hell where the demons have their steam sauna.

Really, you've chosen the part of the year, when Mississippians are euphoric and feeling frisky. You'll see lots of people running around in shorts and long-sleeved-but-thin polos/henleys/tees/mock-turtlenecks/crew-necks - and with jackets or sweaters on, at night - just like people have been doing in the PNW, for the last quarter-century. I'm talking about the 'Movers & Shakers & Job-makers', of course.

The layabouts, whose idea of 'The Good Life', involves smoking materials, puffy upholstery for lounging, screens for watching, fishsticks for microwaving, and shapeless clothing for pulling out of the piles on the floor where it gets thrown after being in the dryer - THOSE Mississippians are miserable in February, because they have to put on their Wal-Mart parkas, if they want to sit out under their doublewide's carport for hours-on-end, smoking and petting their Pit Bulls.

When we lived there, 'The Good Months' were like being in a resort. It was 'The Happy Time'. Camellia Japonica (https://goo.gl/images/EuZeCg) is in bloom, in February, as may be various Narcissus (EARTH LADY: Daffodils bloom when gardener). Pansies, Dianthus, and Snapdragons are blooming, then, and you'll see lots of the ornamental cabbages - all in the professionally-maintained beds around businesses in prosperous places like Madison.

Where to go?

I'd start at the Northwest corner, and visit Oxford (the wellspring of Southern Exploitation Literature, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Faulkner and a major vector for The Football Sickness). Anyway, it's the home of The University of Mississippi, a former "publicly-supported Harvard" for Mississippi's desperately-poor upper classes, during the century of grinding poverty following the Civil War - now becoming just another bland and politically-correct public utility, about like miserable Mizzou. But once upon a time, magazines like Playboy perennially named 'Ole Miss' among America's "Top Party Schools", and a lot of its Law and Business grads have done VERY well for themselves (https://www.amazon.com/Fall-House-Ze.../dp/0307460711) and (https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/201...ssissippi.html). See it, before it's gone. Maybe this B&B? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ssissippi.html

Then, I'd go to Greenwood. The 'Delta' is at its flattest and brownest, that time of year. It has a subtle beauty then - particularly if it's foggy and drizzling. The cool humidity is a caress, and the forty-foot-deep topsoil provides a soft resonance for the region, like nowhere else on Earth. Stay at The Alluvian: The Alluvian Hotel and watch 'The Help' in your room (while winding-down after whatever activities the hotel has suggested for you). The Movie was filmed mostly in Greenwood, with bits in Jackson - and with the World Premier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGqz0shO0g) held in posh little Madison, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0vpOi_5V0 Clarksdale, the origin of Tennessee Williams, is not far from Greenwood. Before even leaving home, you MUST watch the Tennessee Williams masterpiece, Baby Doll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSuBrdlHPY). The Baby Doll House, built in a very erudite and early Greek Revival style, is in that part of the Delta, somewhere: The Baby Doll House

Watching The Help, will get you into the proper spirit for visiting JACKSON. Stay at Fairview (https://fairviewinn.com/), which is a resort-like compound made from an early Twentieth Century Carpetbagger Colonial mansion (bigger and stuffier than a Doctor's Wife Colonial Saltbox, y'know... ) - a replica of Mount Vernon. This is the kind of house that special-pie-munching Hilly would have grown up in. No telling WHO you'll meet, there. I've heard some HUGE, internationally-famous names dropped... Anyway, it's in the Belhaven District, which is home to the metro's two nicer private colleges, and to a great many interesting people. Eudora Welty (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudora_Welty) lived in that neighborhood, for almost her entire life.

While in Jackson, don't miss Babalu, which is reminiscent of Castro-era Habana https://www.eatbabalu.com/location/jackson/ This is the chain's original location. Babalu's high-concept, and every detail is deliberate and effective. EVERYTHING is good.

Otherwise, the Old Capitol Building is awesomely intellectual and Federal, while the New Capitol Building (yes, there are tours) is one of the most exuberant examples of Beaux Arts Neoclassicism, anywhere. Beyond that, I'd spend my time in Madison, which has made the Urban Planning history books, with its handling of Big Box Retail. Madison had the FIRST fancy WalMart (which made so much money, the chain started putting fancier stores in fancier towns - but Madison had the first). Now, Madison's got the world's most gorgeous Kroger (https://goo.gl/images/euHQ93) - and Steinmart (https://goo.gl/images/ZJqSVs) - not to mention stone-columned gas stations which could be garden pavilions. And, there's Circle7 (https://goo.gl/images/q494Bq), which is where the magnamillionaires and billionaires who land their little jets at posh little Madison's posh little airport, shop for their outdoor gear (and six-figure hunting rifles) - before heading to their Mississippi hunting clubs: https://circle7online.com/

Then, I'd get on the serene Natchez Trace Parkway, where It crosses I55 at Ridgeland (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Na...!4d-89.0187511) , and head for NATCHEZ. The Trace will take you right into the middle of Natchez, now, which is nice. Personally, I'd stay at Dunleith, which is the Ultimate: Dunleith Historic Inn | Natchez, MS South Mississippi is pretty balmy, so February will probably be PERFECT.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-16-2018 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson