Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM

120 posts, read 154,713 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say thank-you Jackson for a really fun, pleasurable 3 days!

My girlfriend and I currently reside in Atlanta. We really wanted to do a "beachy" vaca and booked a room for 5 days on the coast. I'd never been to Jackson before...didn't really know what to expect...but was curious after watching some of the Visit Jackson videos on YouTube...and booked 3 nights at the Marriot downtown. We both agreed, it was a great decision. We enjoyed some great food (and beer from Lucky Town Brewery)...met numerous friendly (and helpful) folks while out and about...were inspired and encouraged by your amazing museums (especially the new Civil Rights Museum)...managed to find some great deals while shopping in Fondren...and of course, fed our souls with the unique sound that is Mississippi blues music! We truly fed our mind, body and souls while experiencing your hospitality and beautiful city.

Not knowing what to expect, and frankly, even a little skeptical...we left Jackson really impressed. Your downtown, like the citizens who call the area home, is beautiful! The area is filled with potential and really, really good bones (many places would die for the architecture and greenery.) I wish the city and its citizen nothing but the best! We both look forward to a return visit in the not too distant future.

Paul & Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 01:42 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Thank you, Paul & Shannon, for sharing the wonderful news!

We're so very glad you met all those wonderful and helpful People of Jackson. And it's so inspiring to know that you were inspired by Jackson's stellar museums and such-as. Jackson truly is an undiscovered and unspoiled gem. My only worry is that now you've "let the cat out of the bag" or "put Jacktown on Blast", tourists by the millions will be flocking to my home state's Capitol City, and may be diluting Jackson's edgy-yet-charming "vibe".

And I would like to encourage all the people of that Atlanta, when they're "doing a 'beachy vaca" on Mississippi's fabulous Gulf Coast, to spend three days in hip, happening, and SOULFUL Jackson, Mississippi. I mean, why should Atlantans bother with the beaches of Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina, when Mississippi's beaches are so much better? And while I'm at it, why bother with New Orleans, when there's Jackson?

Truly, it takes three days, to even begin to sample all the world-class wonders that Jackson has to offer. I'm so glad you took the time to savor that savory city, and hope you didn't miss one single inch of the brick-paved wonderland we call Farish Street, in Jackson's hopping Entertainment District.

I can tell that you truly are real people, just like ourselves and Mrs. Judith Beasley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezHl51-f5U)!

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-10-2018 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thank you, Paul & Shannon, for sharing the wonderful news!

We're so very glad you met all those wonderful and helpful People of Jackson. And it's so inspiring to know that you were inspired by Jackson's stellar museums and such-as. Jackson truly is an undiscovered and unspoiled gem. My only worry is that now you've "let the cat out of the bag" or "put Jacktown on Blast", tourists by the millions will be flocking to my home state's Capitol City, and may be diluting Jackson's edgy-yet-charming "vibe".

And I would like to encourage all the people of that Atlanta, when they're "doing a 'beachy vaca" on Mississippi's fabulous Gulf Coast, to spend three days in hip, happening, and SOULFUL Jackson, Mississippi. I mean, why should Atlantans bother with the beaches of Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina, when Mississippi's beaches are so much better? And while I'm at it, why bother with New Orleans, when there's Jackson?

Truly, it takes three days, to even begin to sample all the world-class wonders that Jackson has to offer. I'm so glad you took the time to savor that savory city, and hope you didn't miss one single inch of the brick-paved wonderland we call Farish Street, in Jackson's hopping Entertainment District.

I can tell that you truly are real people, just like ourselves and Mrs. Judith Beasley (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezHl51-f5U)!
Wow, I'm not quite sure how to even respond to this?

Do you routinely treat people with this amount of cynicism and condescension when they come to a forum to express thanks and share a positive experience? Apparently, when you fled Mississippi, you abandoned your southern charm and manners, as well. That's truly sad. Why so bitter? Is it Jackson? Mississippi? Strangers who hare a view you don't happen to share? All of the aforementioned...or just bitter and unhappy in general? Regardless, rather than questioning and spilling your negativity towards total strangers on an anonymous message board, why not be slightly more creative and harangue friends, neighbors and family...at least then, they can look you in the eye when they call you out for the blowhard you most certainly are...something unfortunately, I won't have the good fortune to experience.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM

57 posts, read 58,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post

Do you routinely treat people with this amount of cynicism and condescension when they come to a forum to express thanks and share a positive experience? Apparently, when you fled Mississippi, you abandoned your southern charm and manners, as well. That's truly sad. Why so bitter? Is it Jackson? Mississippi? Strangers who hare a view you don't happen to share? All of the aforementioned...or just bitter and unhappy in general? Regardless, rather than questioning and spilling your negativity towards total strangers on an anonymous message board, why not be slightly more creative and harangue friends, neighbors and family...at least then, they can look you in the eye when they call you out for the blowhard you most certainly are...something unfortunately, I won't have the good fortune to experience.

Don't worry about her. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. That is exactly what I tell people about Jack city downtown. It is a hidden jewel. People might be poor, in some areas that are slightly away from those downtown high rises. But their souls are not. You can see life around and enjoy it, particularly, during weekend summer evenings.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Thanks VennyG. We couldn't agree with you more regarding the people of Jackson...and look forward to hearing about the good things happening in Jackson! Peace to you my friend...

Paul & Shannon

Old 08-12-2018, 09:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Thanks VennyG. We couldn't agree with you more regarding the people of Jackson...and look forward to hearing about the good things happening in Jackson! Peace to you my friend...

Paul & Shannon
Glad you enjoyed your time in Jackson!

Also glad you stood up to our resident Mississippi bully. Like most bullies, she will disappear for a while upon realizing that her crap has been brought out into the light.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Default Mea culpa MAXIMA!

Oh, my GOODNESS! When it turned out that my relentlessly perki and upbeat post was seen in such a jaundiced light by the OP, I went and read his old posts, to discover how I could have been so woefully misunderstood.

Here I was, giving an 'attaboy affirmation' to someone I perceived as being a LOCAL Community Booster Professional (posing as someone who'd visited from the Outside World) - doing my darndest to echo his powerful positivity - going so far, even, as to link to the greatest Personal Endorsement Pro of all time, Mrs. Judith Beasley (Judith Beasly | LILY) - when I realized that OP actually DID travel to Jackson, from Atlanta (by choice, even!), and actually DID have a good time, there.

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to switch from "going along with the ruse", to "Compassion and Understanding Mode". Now that I realize he's not someone paid to post cheery things about Jackson, or a member of a 'PAC' of some kind, who's volunteered to "talk-Jackson-up, on the Internet!" - now that I realize he actually, really lives somewhere else, and actually had a pleasant three days in Jackson.... well... all I can say is, "MIRABILE DICTU!"

Now I know that his vacation report is 'echt', rather than 'ersatz' (real, rather than fake), and that OP has been on multiple quests (some spiritual, and some practical - such as finding an inexpensive region in which to live, after an early retirement), now that I know who OP's Personal Hero is, and having deduced that OP is struggling (http://www.city-data.com/forum/50611281-post61.html), currently, with cognitive dissonance resulting from real experiences in the South, which surely are contradicting a long-held worldview resulting from early indoctrination (and, unavoidable in Detroit, childhood experiences of the sort which induce Stockholm Syndrome), I can see that a different reply to the Original Post was in order.

Currently, I'm pointing-out good retirement spots in Mississippi, to a friend who's intent upon moving there from a very expensive state. (Her West Coast friends from Mississippi, are very nice) Found her, inside Jackson-proper, a bargain mini-mansion, in the only spot which fits both her modest budget, and her rather high social caste (not that she'd admit it, but her IQ and enculturation would place her squarely within Mississippi's Upper Class Intelligentsia).

OP, on the other hand, having a rare knack for interacting with extremely humble people, would have a far greater range of housing choices, and would have no trouble finding a place where he could be happy. 'Fab Fondren' is FULL of people who share his ideological leanings, as is Belhaven Heights (not to mention newly-hip places like Lo-Ho and Mid-city).

Oh, and Jackson Panther, while I know you're saving-up for a nice used one, when I say 'Mea culpa MAXIMA', I'm not talking about Toyotas. I just didn't want you getting all excited over nothing.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-13-2018 at 02:24 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Glad to read about y'all's trip, Paul and Shannon! I've only visited the civil rights museum (which was breathtaking), but I'll have to go back and see more sometime soon. We wanted to at least see more of downtown when we visited but didn't have time.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:

that's just the way she responds to everything. just ignore her.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
that's just the way she responds to everything. just ignore her.
Ditto. The old fashioned antebellum complex is the main attraction in her bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson