U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-18-2019, 03:07 PM
 
51 posts, read 35,400 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I argued earlier in the thread that it wasn't really poverty but something that you often see in high poverty areas: unstable, dysfunctional households. Those are much more common in low income areas than in high income areas and I believe that is the true reason that crime is so pervasive in certain areas.
There is a direct correlation between "relative" poverty and increase in crime rates. We cannot blindly say "it is not" and accept the crime spree that is happening in certain areas within Jackson. It is the responsibility of all, including political and religious leaders. No exceptions. Every life saved, counts.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
783 posts, read 507,210 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I argued earlier in the thread that it wasn't really poverty but something that you often see in high poverty areas: unstable, dysfunctional households. Those are much more common in low income areas than in high income areas and I believe that is the true reason that crime is so pervasive in certain areas.
That's an additional factor to consider too. Throughout history of high concentrated urban decay have in 1 form or another develop a cradle for criminal activities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,765 posts, read 1,915,140 times
Reputation: 4702
I think it comes down to individual choices each person makes. I have known way too many people who are poor and just barely get by and they are not out there committing crimes against anybody. It's how they were raised and the values that were instilled in them.

I think poverty is more of an excuse to justify why somebody commits a crime. There might be more thiefs or burglaries or robberies committed by poor/low income than other income levels, but each one of the criminals is making an individual choice to commit a crime, no matter their income level. This country has many safety nets to help out poor people. They don't have to live on the streets or go without food. There is help out there. Nobody has to steal a loaf of bread because they are hungry.

You can't say that because somebody is poor they are going to be a criminal, any more than you say because somebody is of a certain race or sex or ethnicity they are going to be a criminal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
783 posts, read 507,210 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think it comes down to individual choices each person makes. I have known way too many people who are poor and just barely get by and they are not out there committing crimes against anybody. It's how they were raised and the values that were instilled in them.

I think poverty is more of an excuse to justify why somebody commits a crime. There might be more thiefs or burglaries or robberies committed by poor/low income than other income levels, but each one of the criminals is making an individual choice to commit a crime, no matter their income level. This country has many safety nets to help out poor people. They don't have to live on the streets or go without food. There is help out there. Nobody has to steal a loaf of bread because they are hungry.

You can't say that because somebody is poor they are going to be a criminal, any more than you say because somebody is of a certain race or sex or ethnicity they are going to be a criminal.
There's still a segment of those choices is driven by profits. This country have always been unequivocal in those safety nets for the poor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Floribama
14,082 posts, read 30,263,132 times
Reputation: 12713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Poverty breeds crime. You don't see that level of crime in more higher income areas. It's like that worldwide.
Appalachia has high levels of poverty, and while drug use is high, they’re not out there murdering each other everyday.

I blame a lot of it on the hip hop culture that has taken over a large part of the black community (and occasionally whites as well). It’s the whole ‘attitude’ that goes along with it, young men think it’s makes them more masculine, while the end result is actually the opposite. They’re like little kids that have to constantly be watched.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM
 
750 posts, read 706,265 times
Reputation: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Where does the JXN abbreviation originates?
Airport codes are three letters, the code for Jackson is actually JAN. JXN is Jackson, MI, but to me JXN is cooler than JAN.

That abbreviation has been used by locals since I got here in 1995.


For example https://crossfitjxn.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
783 posts, read 507,210 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Appalachia has high levels of poverty, and while drug use is high, they’re not out there murdering each other everyday.

I blame a lot of it on the hip hop culture that has taken over a large part of the black community (and occasionally whites as well). It’s the whole ‘attitude’ that goes along with it, young men think it’s makes them more masculine, while the end result is actually the opposite. They’re like little kids that have to constantly be watched.
I was speaking of urban poverty not rural poverty. People tend to use the Appalachian region as an example but it's misguided. Largest volumes of homicides happens in larger metropolitan areas and the rural county have the lowest volumes.

Blaming Hip-Hop is a fallacy due to different factors. There was large amount of homicides in large cities prior to Hip-Hop mainstream success. Large cities was experiencing 100s of homicides back in the early 70s and prior. So what music would place the blame on back then ? Disco, Soul, Jazz, Bluegrass, Rock, etc?

Again, high concentrated urban poverty is where majority of our country's homicides are located and historically ( 1900s, 1800s).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 05:18 PM
 
26 posts, read 7,339 times
Reputation: 80
Since 1990, New York City has dropped from 2,000 to 300 homicides per year. During the same period Jackson's homicides have increased from about 40 to 85 per year.

About 45% of New Yorkers live at or near the poverty rate. The African-American population in New York is about 2 million. Cultural factors such as education, poverty, race, and family breakdown have not changed significantly in New York since 1990. What changed was the city's approach to policing, under Mayor Giuliani.

If Mayor Lumumba were to replicate New York's policing tactics, Jackson's annual homicides could drop from some 80 pear year to more like 10 to 15 per year. That would be about 1 homicide per month, as opposed to the 10 homicides Jackson has had in the past two weeks.

In 2019 Jackson is on pace to hit 240 homicides for the year, which may actually surpass New York. It won't be because of cultural factors or the number of African-Americans; it will be because of failed policing tactics by Mayor Lumumba, and because of a hapless, do-nothing Governor Phil Bryant who has the power to take over and solve this problem single-handedly if he so chooses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
783 posts, read 507,210 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Since 1990, New York City has dropped from 2,000 to 300 homicides per year. During the same period Jackson's homicides have increased from about 40 to 85 per year.

About 45% of New Yorkers live at or near the poverty rate. The African-American population in New York is about 2 million. Cultural factors such as education, poverty, race, and family breakdown have not changed significantly in New York since 1990. What changed was the city's approach to policing, under Mayor Giuliani.

If Mayor Lumumba were to replicate New York's policing tactics, Jackson's annual homicides could drop from some 80 pear year to more like 10 to 15 per year. That would be about 1 homicide per month, as opposed to the 10 homicides Jackson has had in the past two weeks.

In 2019 Jackson is on pace to hit 240 homicides for the year, which may actually surpass New York. It won't be because of cultural factors or the number of African-Americans; it will be because of failed policing tactics by Mayor Lumumba, and because of a hapless, do-nothing Governor Phil Bryant who has the power to take over and solve this problem single-handedly if he so chooses.
There's many different approach to cities of immense size, demographics, & policing to reduce homicides. Jackson's homicide didn't steadily increase to it's present day , it varied by time frame. It was higher than 40 in 1990 than hit 92 (1995) then dropped into the 40s at the end of the 90s. Climb up in the early 00s but did a sudden drop to 37 ( Frank Melton administration) 1 year. At that precise moment is whenever was in effect as policing and other matters should have keep it declining.

From that low point it increase all the way into the 70s 1 year during the mid-late 00. At the start of the 010s, it dropped into the 50s and remain steady with a few lows/highs until mid/late 010s. It was 58 in 015, 64 in 016 & 017, then last year hit 78 ( should be the official stat). This year starts unpredictably high and could end in the 80s officially.

That NYC style of policing works for itself due to it's circumstances. The only American city to have 1,000 homicides for 26 consecutive years (1969-1995).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
 
26 posts, read 7,339 times
Reputation: 80
These data show that Jackson policing has vacillated between average and terrible, by going from 40 to 80 homicides and in between. If Jackson policing were performing at the level of New York policing, Jackson would drop to just 10 homicides per year.

From what I've read about New York, they did a couple of big things. They divided the city into subsections, with one officer in charge of each section and held accountable for results. They created daily processes to analyze the successes and failures in each area and adjusted their tactics accordingly.

Secondly, the police became extremely pro-active, enforcing all the laws large and small, under the theory that criminals won't bother to try big crimes if they can't even get away with small crimes. Also they began pro-actively checking people who fit the usual criminal characteristics, thereby catching those who were evading warrants, carrying weapons, etc. By placing them in jail for smaller offenses, the criminals weren't in the community and thus unable to commit homicides and other larger offenses in the community.

Governor Phil Bryant could save the city simply by taking over parts of the Jackson city government that aren't working (police, water, roads) and making life better for everyone. Jackson is not just another small town in Mississippi. It's the capital, the largest city, and home to the state's major institutions such as state government, major hospitals, universities, etc. He cannot sit by while Mississippi's capital turns into another El Salvador or Guatemala with literally the highest homicide rate on the planet.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top