U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:43 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,104,801 times

Advertisements

Having the venue is one part, but I'm pretty sure Mississippi is missing concert Promoters who will pay acts up front and take their profits from ticket sales. If Brandon built the venue thinking thr acts were going to take the financial risk, then they are incompetent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 01:34 PM

623 posts, read 614,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Having the venue is one part, but I'm pretty sure Mississippi is missing concert Promoters who will pay acts up front and take their profits from ticket sales. If Brandon built the venue thinking thr acts were going to take the financial risk, then they are incompetent.
Most big name acts use Live Nation as promoters so rarely do they rely on independent promoters. Take Metallica for example, they are promoted by Live Nation. Live Nation books the tour, sets the ticket prices through the ticket providers. Artists signed through companies like Live Nation are paid upfront contractually. They've already been paid a guarantee, the ticket prices you pay goes back to the promoter. They pay the venue and of all that. If there's any money left then that's worked out because the promotion company and the artist. There really are no more independent promoters that deal with big name acts. Now there are still promoters that book clubs and the such.

Last edited by sammyreynolds1977; 02-01-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 06:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 1,448,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Hahahaha the information you sometimes post never ceases to amaze me. I used to live by the Oak Mountain amphitheatre. This 'park' you speak of is the fair that comes once per year, lol. Zoo? What the heck are you talking about??
Well, since you're so sharp, know ALL the answers, and are quick to criticize, try googling Oak Mountain Amphitheater and you'll see something that looks like a petting zoo, and some children's areas, what appears to be a car show, and all sorts of things not associated with music. I admitted I'm not familiar with the place, and I gleaned that information from googling. As a matter of fact, I'd never heard of the place until maybe 6 months ago.

Give it a try. Google and tell me your impressions, assuming you'd never been there.

I'll even give you a link to make it easy. Scroll down the pictures on the left hand side and tell me what you see. There are no captions, so it's easy to see how once could assume they're permanent fixtures.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECAYQBg

Old 02-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I assume you're referring to my heartfelt and completely specious remembrances, from the time when the world lost Lynrd Skynrd: http://www.city-data.com/forum/41813129-post7.html

Oh, but I WOULD admit it, as my memoirs from that apocryphally seminal chapter in my early life will attest.

Under the right conditions, I'd admit to just about anything.
Haha. I still can't rep you ... I just need to spread my love around a bit. Maybe I'll give some to Mississippi Alabama Line.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM

For what it's worth and continuity since I brought the subject up, the city council approved a $4M+ design study for the new amphitheater, and will see if they want to fund it after the design period. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and then dropping the entire thing, so we'll see. Hopefully it will succeed and not become a white elephant if built.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 PM

909 posts, read 539,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
For what it's worth and continuity since I brought the subject up, the city council approved a $4M+ design study for the new amphitheater, and will see if they want to fund it after the design period. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and then dropping the entire thing, so we'll see. Hopefully it will succeed and not become a white elephant if built.
Since this thread started, BA has booked like 3 more shows, including Widespread Panic. Jackson haters have derped again.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM

796 posts, read 496,856 times
Looks like the typical calendar for Oak Mountain Amphitheatre is April to October, with anywhere from 10-15 concerts per year:

https://www.jambase.com/venue/oak-mo...tre/past-shows

Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,104,801 times
Brandon now has 9 events scheduled for their 6 month season.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM

159 posts, read 107,942 times

Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 PM

779 posts, read 739,753 times
The most impressive thing in the above post is that Styx and REO Speedwagon are still touring. I remember when Styx's "Borrowed Time" with the phrase, "here come the eighties" was played on the radio....

Those were the days. People did not so easily get their feelings hurt if called a name or someone disagreed with them and there was no pride in being a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson