Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 PM

12,582 posts, read 9,085,368 times

Advertisements

Since the Huntsville and Jackson metros are roughly the same size, I was wondering how the Brandon Amphitheater is doing, financially and in other ways. The reason I'm asking is that Huntsville just approved about $4M for the design phase of a proposed one to be built here. It would be funded by the city. Is the one in Brandon well-used during the decent weather months? Do they get name-brand groups?

https://www.al.com/news/2019/01/will...outputType=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 07:45 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,941,575 times
LOL, Jackson is 25% bigger than Huntsville. That said, an amphitheater would probably do well there.

And yes, Brandon gets big names. Info is out there to google.

No, not used much in winter.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 PM

799 posts, read 1,056,377 times
they just opened it last year. so far this year there's only 6 acts booked through August. Like MAL said they don't book acts during the winter.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 PM

12,582 posts, read 9,085,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
they just opened it last year. so far this year there's only 6 acts booked through August. Like MAL said they don't book acts during the winter.
Yeah, I would expect it to be closed for the winter ... too wet and too cold. I believe it's same way with Oak Mountain near B'ham, and the ones in Nashville too. I suppose there could be a few yearround events of some sort, but sitting in 20 degree weather for a concert doesn't sound too pleasant.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,848,838 times
The wife and I were just talking about this, it didn't seem to be used much last summer and very little in the fall (which one would think is the best time to have an outdoor event - I realize you have football competing).

It doesn't have many bookings this year either. I assumed it with be booked with second-tier 80s rock bands (Poison, etc) and big-name country stars, I am surprised at how little it is booked.

I've been to it, it is very nice.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,394,524 times
It looks very nice.
It was underutilized last year, and is on the same path this year.
Of course it's not used during winter, but spring, summer, fall should be prime time.
I think there were fewer than 10 events last year.

With so many artists touring the country you wonder why they cant get the bookings. I assume it's because we dont have concert promoters willing to front artists the money and make it up on ticket sales. No artist is going to risk coming to Mississippi without getting paid upfront.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:59 PM

168 posts, read 189,716 times

Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Is your point that all 3 amphitheaters are underutilized? Just because Brandon is the best of a bad lot, it's still very, very bad.

Here's a link to Ravinia in suburban Chicago. Prepare yourself for what a real schedule looks like:

https://patch-com.cdn.ampproject.org...dule-announced

Even if you remove the orchestra events, it still just creams whatever is happening in Brandon. This is what they mean when people say there's nothing to do in Jackson.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:50 PM

168 posts, read 189,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Is your point that all 3 amphitheaters are underutilized? Just because Brandon is the best of a bad lot, it's still very, very bad.

Here's a link to Ravinia in suburban Chicago. Prepare yourself for what a real schedule looks like:

Even if you remove the orchestra events, it still just creams whatever is happening in Brandon. This is what they mean when people say there's nothing to do in Jackson.
I simply posted an objective view of the 2018-2019 lineups.

What's sad to me about Brandon's amphitheater's 2018 lineup is that it was probably the densest it will ever be since it was the opening year. But they're all three pathetic really...

But to compare the Ravinia Festival to the Brandon amphitheater? Come on.

It's been going on since 1904 and has about 600K people that visit it annually (quick Google search). Oh by the way it's near/in Chicago which consists of about 2.7 million people compared to the Jackson metro area's population of 540K... Not to mention the amount of tourists that visit Chicago because it's a populated city with like.... actual things to do. We don't have tourists in Jackson. We just have people that ended up here by mistake.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
It's been going on since 1904 and has about 600K people that visit it annually (quick Google search). Oh by the way it's near/in Chicago which consists of about 2.7 million people compared to the Jackson metro area's population of 540K... Not to mention the amount of tourists that visit Chicago because it's a populated city with like.... actual things to do. We don't have tourists in Jackson. We just have people that ended up here by mistake.
I don't disagree with you. Then why did Brandon build it? For 6 events? No way that made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson