U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 PM

606 posts, read 593,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Jackson is a lost cause. The reason is that nobody will elect the right leadership. Oh sure, Jackson will not go away but it will sink further and further. RIP
People not only in Jackson but the state as a whole are unable to grasp the concept that you can't keep electing the same people and expect a different result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM

819 posts, read 480,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's really a shame that Jackson has gone downhill so badly. As a kid, we'd go to the zoo there with no fear for safety at all. Jackson was a vibrant town, and it had fairly explosive growth in the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure what happened to make it basically unlivable now. I grew up in Meridian, and it was a really nice, safe town then with good public schools. I went back a few years ago for a high school reunion and it was unbelivable ... most things downtown were boarded up. And I understand it's quite dangerous too.
Quite a few things have changed since the 60s and 70s. The metro areas of both are actually still growing. I'm still not sure why people get caught up in city limits, I mean we all understand the dynamics of what happened with cities in this country. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Birmingham is on a roll, there are a lot of good things happening there, same with NOLA - both still have many issues though. Memphis has its issues, but it has the downtown/Beale Street area and a few other right spots. I haven't heard much good about Montgomery or Macon, but I know several people who absolutely love Savannah.
"On a roll" is a stretch. They simply have begun investing in small areas of downtown rather than continuing the suburban sprawl. Overall metro growth is on par with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Jackson is a lost cause. The reason is that nobody will elect the right leadership. Oh sure, Jackson will not go away but it will sink further and further. RIP
The people in Jackson will continue to elect the same people. The only way to change it is for more people to move into Jackson and vote them out.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,244,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Quite a few things have changed since the 60s and 70s. The metro areas of both are actually still growing. I'm still not sure why people get caught up in city limits, I mean we all understand the dynamics of what happened with cities in this country. It's not rocket science.

"On a roll" is a stretch. They simply have begun investing in small areas of downtown rather than continuing the suburban sprawl. Overall metro growth is on par with everything else.

The people in Jackson will continue to elect the same people. The only way to change it is for more people to move into Jackson and vote them out.
And that's probably not going to happen because of those "unmentionable" dynamics you referred to. Maybe that's why Huntsville is annexing more land almost on a daily basis. Instead of "land-grabbing", maybe there was some thought behind the actions. Jackson isn't surrounded by towns like B'ham is; maybe they should try annexation ... but the current leaders don't want that.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
And that's probably not going to happen because of those "unmentionable" dynamics you referred to. Maybe that's why Huntsville is annexing more land almost on a daily basis. Instead of "land-grabbing", maybe there was some thought behind the actions. Jackson isn't surrounded by towns like B'ham is; maybe they should try annexation ... but the current leaders don't want that.
And who places around Jackson do you want to annex?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 PM

819 posts, read 480,494 times
Quote:
Madison, Ridgeland, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Richland, Brandon, Flowood.....you were saying?

Annexation isn’t always good. I personally think Dallas Fanning took it to far in HSV. Schools are suffering.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Madison, Ridgeland, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Richland, Brandon, Flowood.....you were saying?

Annexation isn’t always good. I personally think Dallas Fanning took it to far in HSV. Schools are suffering.
Most of those cities would fight like hell if Jackson tried to annex them and rightfully so. Like you pointed out annexation isn't always a good thing. I know Madison tried to annex Germantown but the people there said no.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

1,282 posts, read 947,978 times
Annexation can definitely go to far. I have lived in Jackson before, as well as Brandon and Pearl and currently live in Memphis. Memphis would be an example of a city that took annexation too far. As Memphis' core (ie inside of the I-240\I-40 loop around the city) lost population, city leaders basically chased that population and tax dollars by annexing Raleigh, Whitehaven, Cordova & Hickory Hill. The result is a city that is huge in terms of square miles but just a medium-sized city in terms of population and the physical size has strained Memphis' ability to maintain infrastructure and provide police and fire service to all areas.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

8,996 posts, read 8,954,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Annexation can definitely go to far. I have lived in Jackson before, as well as Brandon and Pearl and currently live in Memphis. Memphis would be an example of a city that took annexation too far. As Memphis' core (ie inside of the I-240\I-40 loop around the city) lost population, city leaders basically chased that population and tax dollars by annexing Raleigh, Whitehaven, Cordova & Hickory Hill. The result is a city that is huge in terms of square miles but just a medium-sized city in terms of population and the physical size has strained Memphis' ability to maintain infrastructure and provide police and fire service to all areas.
Whitehaven was annexed about 1970. It was an independent town before then. At the time, it was a thriving community. Things began to change around 1980 and now it is a lot like west Jackson. Whitehaven was the site of Southland, the Memphis area’s first indoor shopping mall. It opened in the 1960s. It is still in operation, while the Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall, and Raleigh Springs Mall are all gone.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

8,996 posts, read 8,954,810 times
Who was Jackson’s last good mayor?

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

997 posts, read 2,048,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Whitehaven was annexed about 1970. It was an independent town before then. At the time, it was a thriving community. Things began to change around 1980 and now it is a lot like west Jackson. Whitehaven was the site of Southland, the Memphis area’s first indoor shopping mall. It opened in the 1960s. It is still in operation, while the Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall, and Raleigh Springs Mall are all gone.
Last time I went to Southland Mall, about 15 years ago, I heard a black guy say "Look at that white dude" as I was walking in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or