U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
 
776 posts, read 730,823 times
Reputation: 1458

Advertisements

Jackson Jambalaya: Jackson Issues RFP for Conv. Center Hotel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,205 posts, read 4,115,272 times
Reputation: 11447
Well, that depressing music in the video, certainly goes with Jackson's stock of ugly, depressing, Cow College Modern buildings, left over from the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies.

And it's poignantly expressive of the ugly, depressing, newly-constructed Cow College Modern buildings, which look just like the older ones. (There was a man who wrote an easy-to-follow book. Generations of architects - the kind who went to state schools, who were good at math, but who had no aesthetic inclinations - used that book as a manual, to create the ugliness that now fills most of the world's cities).

So, it's natural that the sad, whiny music (To me, the tune tells the story of a homeless old man, who pairs-up with a starving puppy. The two find shelter in a Downtown Jackson ditch, where they share a hotdog the man finds in a trash can. As both slowly freeze to death, the old man tells the puppy about the glories of his younger, finger-snapping days.) eloquently provides musical narration for the ugly, depressing, Cow College Modern buildings and "hardscape features", which are portrayed in those renderings - buildings and landscape "features" which look pretty-much like what was built, in Jackson, in the Fifties and the Sixties and the Seventies and the Eighties and the Nineties and just recently.

And kudos for including so much diversity and funkiness in the renderings of all those hipsters! Truly, having an image from 'Titanic', on the screen at the outdoor theatre, was sheer genius. What a perfect image of doomed virtue-signaling idealists! The state's mental hospitals dump the mentally disabled on the streets of Jackson, and so I think that an outdoor theatre will be a much-appreciated amenity.

Too, I'm impressed that they found a girl who could narrate in that "Great Lakes Vowel Shift Spunky Gal" accent - slaughtering the English Language in such a trendy and Yankee-sounding way.

Last but not least, there's that stroke of Socialistic genius, in pretending to have the public help shape the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
 
776 posts, read 730,823 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, that depressing music in the video, certainly goes with Jackson's stock of ugly, depressing, Cow College Modern buildings, left over from the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies.

And it's poignantly expressive of the ugly, depressing, newly-constructed Cow College Modern buildings, which look just like the older ones. (There was a man who wrote an easy-to-follow book. Generations of architects - the kind who went to state schools, who were good at math, but who had no aesthetic inclinations - used that book as a manual, to create the ugliness that now fills most of the world's cities).

So, it's natural that the sad, whiny music (To me, the tune tells the story of a homeless old man, who pairs-up with a starving puppy. The two find shelter in a Downtown Jackson ditch, where they share a hotdog the man finds in a trash can. As both slowly freeze to death, the old man tells the puppy about the glories of his younger, finger-snapping days.) eloquently provides musical narration for the ugly, depressing, Cow College Modern buildings and "hardscape features", which are portrayed in those renderings - buildings and landscape "features" which look pretty-much like what was built, in Jackson, in the Fifties and the Sixties and the Seventies and the Eighties and the Nineties and just recently.

And kudos for including so much diversity and funkiness in the renderings of all those hipsters! Truly, having an image from 'Titanic', on the screen at the outdoor theatre, was sheer genius. What a perfect image of doomed virtue-signaling idealists! The state's mental hospitals dump the mentally disabled on the streets of Jackson, and so I think that an outdoor theatre will be a much-appreciated amenity.

Too, I'm impressed that they found a girl who could narrate in that "Great Lakes Vowel Shift Spunky Gal" accent - slaughtering the English Language in such a trendy and Yankee-sounding way.

Last but not least, there's that stroke of Socialistic genius, in pretending to have the public help shape the project.
Agree, that opening music is terrible and some of the aerial footage is not flattering.

Unfortunately, the convention center is not going to be a draw with its current purpose. Very few conventions are going to come to Jackson, there's just not enough to do and almost nothing within walking distance. Not to mention Destin, NOLA, Nashville, the MS Gulf Coast, etc. already have that market for the southeast wrapped up.

Maybe Jackson city leaders should consider selling it to the state or repurposing it? I doubt they could swallow their pride enough to do that though. Hopefully, the city doesn't sink too much taxpayer money into luring a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,205 posts, read 4,115,272 times
Reputation: 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Agree, that opening music is terrible and some of the aerial footage is not flattering.

Unfortunately, the convention center is not going to be a draw with its current purpose. Very few conventions are going to come to Jackson, there's just not enough to do and almost nothing within walking distance. Not to mention Destin, NOLA, Nashville, the MS Gulf Coast, etc. already have that market for the southeast wrapped up.

Maybe Jackson city leaders should consider selling it to the state or repurposing it? I doubt they could swallow their pride enough to do that though. Hopefully, the city doesn't sink too much taxpayer money into luring a hotel.
I totally agree. And since when, is the appropriate response, in a city with a shrinking population - a place nobody wants to visit, and where few actually choose to live - to build MORE buildings? Wouldn't a more appropriate response be, to 'triage' the current stock of buildings, marking the best for preservation and upgrades, while removing redundant buildings which are lacking in merit?

And wouldn't a rational "repurposing" of the site, in a place which needs no more buildings, be to plant trees on the vacant land? Forest is the mature-stage ecosystem in Mississippi. It provides natural beauty. Natural beauty attracts desirable people. It helps to retain desirable people. It provides a view. It cleans the air. It mediates climate, and improves acoustics. It creates a sense of place.

The reasons why nobody wants to live in or visit Jackson, are its miserable climate, and its toxic population. One of my old buds from the gym, DECADES BACK, when we first moved to the Capital, tried to give us his rental houses near Downtown. There were dozens of these houses, and he would have actually given them to us. He was a professional landlord, who knew his business, and did most of the work, himself.

But his pool of renters was so dysfunctional, so dangerous, so infinitely problematic in so many ways - he simply could no longer deal with them. And the "authorities" - even in the late Eighties - were so much a part of the problem, he had no legal recourse. Most of the "authorities" were part of the Criminal Food Chain, and actually PROTECTED THE DRUG DEALERS.

And this was back when Jackson was still a thriving, happening, hopeful place - before things got REALLY bad.

Our friend first tried reporting his houses which contained drug activity. Eviction measures were proving futile, so he asked "the law" for help. What happened, was that the houses he reported, were confiscated - taken away from him. Then, the "Authorities" which had assumed ownership of the houses, simply allowed the drug dealers to remain - rent-free. They were protecting the drug dealers, because both "The Authorities" and the drug dealers were parts of Jackson's Criminal Food Chain. The addicts, and the people they robbed, were at the bottom of the Food Chain. The dealers, and the "Authorities" they bribed, were high in the Food Chain.

Tired of being 'The Phytoplankton of the Criminal Food Chain', decent people started moving away. Everybody had a story as disheartening as our Landlord friend's. We had several such stories, mostly concerning key employees who gave notice, when they, or their spouses, had been robbed enough, or threatened enough, or ignored by police, and decided to move out of the state.

And that's what our whole "pod" (inner circle of friends/co-investors) was planning to do, when we discovered Madison. The superior lifestyle offered by Madison, kept us from leaving Mississippi, for years. And most of our "pod" is still in Madison. Meanwhile, the toxic element among Jackson's population has actually increased, both proportionally and in absolute numbers, enabled by growing numbers of corrupt "authorities".

But back to that video. ...something like, "There are few American cities with this amount of land and ownership in their downtown..." Well... that could be rephrased as, "There are few American cities whose downtowns are so deserted that nine contiguous acres of formerly valuable commercial property, could have their structures demolished, and revert to ownership by the city."

A decade or so back, a famous architect or urban planner, was featured at some sort of revitalization symposium in Jackson. He was perplexed by all the paved-over vacant lots. "Why is everything torn-down? I've never seen anything like this. This doesn't make sense!"

But that great thinker didn't understand Mississippi, where demolishing all the structures around you, is how you avoid having to move, if problematic people have moved in around you. In places where the population is largely toxic, neighbors are trouble. Vacant lots are buffer zones. It's like a zombie movie, where you want to have the zombies as far from your compound as is possible.

What's wrong with reducing Downtown to its core components, and planting trees where buildings used to be? Who said bigger is always better? Our Decorator frequently makes things better, simply by editing-out things he feels are inferior, off-theme, discordant, or redundant. Why not do that with Downtown?
________
And why would anybody choose to visit, or plan a convention, in a state whose government does its best, to disenfranchise Gay people, and to deny women control of our own bodies? Forget the silly flag issue, which only matters to people who obsess over symbols. Far more real and compelling, is that Mississippi's State government goes out of its way, to threaten and insult two groups who, together, are more than half the population.

The expectation that there will be throngs of "Civil Rights Tourists", as well as the existence and plans for all the Modernist buildings in Jackson, are so ironic, considering the Medieval morality that Mississippi's politicians are trying to impose upon the populace. People think that an "entertainment district" will work, in such a climate? Really?

There are reasons why Mississippians have to go to Florida or Louisiana, just to feel free to have a good time.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; Yesterday at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
884 posts, read 520,703 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The expectation that there will be throngs of "Civil Rights Tourists", as well as the existence and plans for all the Modernist buildings in Jackson, are so ironic, considering the Medieval morality that Mississippi's politicians are trying to impose upon the populace. People think that an "entertainment district" will work, in such a climate? Really?
That is Mississippi for you. Fighting over itself.

The entertainment district can work in Jackson (theoretically), so I disagree there, granted it will need a huge police presence and leaders will need to subliminally realize that the rest of the city is beyond saving. But I agree they shouldn't be BUILDING a new one. The bones are there to have one already. The Convention Complex was a stupid idea, and this district is a stupid idea. We already have the Trade Mart (isn't it getting a facelift soon) and the entertainment district should be over there by Hal and Mals.

I like the idea of more green spaces.

And yeah, at this point, change the flag, cut out the dumb unnecessary Baptist social laws, and move on and make some money. There are plenty of smaller state-wide 'conferences' that can be held in Jackson at a theoretical convention center, but of course, no one can agree on where to do it, so nothing ever works.

If Montgomery can do it, anybody can do it (except Jackson).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,161 posts, read 9,092,359 times
Reputation: 6450
“Disenfranchising” gay people - denying them the right to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:59 PM
 
776 posts, read 730,823 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
smaller state-wide 'conferences' that can be held in Jackson at a theoretical convention center, but of course, no one can agree on where to do it, so nothing ever works.
The convention center already holds these type conferences (Star Student/Valedictorian recognition, State Chamber of Commerce, MS Economic Commission, etc.), the problem is these are one-day events, the people come in, have the program and leave, most don't spend the night or spend much money in Jackson. What little money spent by attendees usually goes to Flowood, Madison or Ridgeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top