U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 PM

27 posts, read 69,793 times
Default Can't "get" Madison-Help!

I've been down to Jackson for a job interview and was told by the realtor how wonderful Madison is. I've read posts saying the same thing. But what I saw was ... a suburb where life happens in your car. Also the houses I saw were nice but dont' have the extras some older homes have, like a workshop, or a designated study PLUS a 4th bedroom. I did see those things in NE Jackson. I also visited a private school in Jackson and the public one in Madison to see how my sp needs daughter would fit. I was MUCH more impressed w/the private school. Yes, Madison had bells and whistles, but the other was warmer it seemed to me. I'm not complaining about it, but I wonder "What am I missing here?" Many of you have talked about making so many friends in Madison. What makes it so good? Can someone shed some light on this? Is there anyone out there who LOVES living in NE Jackson? The crime issue does bother me. Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM

442 posts, read 1,432,959 times
Your perception is spot on target. Madison is very nice, but it is mostly cookie-cutter houses and is heavily congested with traffic. All of the neighborhoods have covenants and an HOA. There are some very nice homes in NE Jackson, especially off of Old Canton Road (St. Andrews Drive area and Northpointe) and Pear Orchard Road (Crowne Pointe Circle, Lake Trace, etc.). These areas are just over the line from Madison County and very convenient to NorthPark Mall and all the wonderful Ridgeland-Madison restaurants and shopping. Jackson has some very impressive private schools, JA and Prep to name two, but also check out Madison-Ridgeland Academy on Old Canton Road. It's a smaller private school and less expensive than the other two mentioned, but with the same education and performance expectations. If you are looking for the 4 bedroom with an office/bonus room that is reasonably priced, NE Jackson is your best bet. However, also check out North Bay in Madison. It is very close to Madison-Ridgeland Academy, and the houses are large with a $189,000 and up price which is very reasonable for the area. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,924 times
Default moving to canton area for husbands job

my husband recently got a job offer in canton, ms as a systems tech at the nissan plant. after looking at the city data for this town, i do NOT want to move to canton. madison is too expensive for us though. are there any other options without going to jackson that has affordable living, and by affordable i mean renting a house for around the 650-700 a month range that is a nice house? we have a 3 year old, so i need a good daycare/preschool..and who has good schools considering madison is not an option at this point. if anyone can give me some helpful insight i would appreciate it because i am really struggling with this move considering we will have no family around when we move.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 116,994 times
Northeast Jackson or Brandon/Flowood area would probably work for you. There is also a new apartment complex not far from Nissan that would be convenient for you. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM

355 posts, read 876,571 times
I don't think you are likely to find a nice house to rent in Brandon/Flowood for that price, but you should be able to find a nice apartment there.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisfam View Post
my husband recently got a job offer in canton, ms as a systems tech at the nissan plant. after looking at the city data for this town, i do NOT want to move to canton. madison is too expensive for us though. are there any other options without going to jackson that has affordable living, and by affordable i mean renting a house for around the 650-700 a month range that is a nice house? we have a 3 year old, so i need a good daycare/preschool..and who has good schools considering madison is not an option at this point. if anyone can give me some helpful insight i would appreciate it because i am really struggling with this move considering we will have no family around when we move.
Did you look in Ridgeland? You can rent for that price in a nice home in a nice neighborhood.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdeauxja View Post
I've been down to Jackson for a job interview and was told by the realtor how wonderful Madison is. I've read posts saying the same thing. But what I saw was ... a suburb where life happens in your car. Also the houses I saw were nice but dont' have the extras some older homes have, like a workshop, or a designated study PLUS a 4th bedroom. I did see those things in NE Jackson. I also visited a private school in Jackson and the public one in Madison to see how my sp needs daughter would fit. I was MUCH more impressed w/the private school. Yes, Madison had bells and whistles, but the other was warmer it seemed to me. I'm not complaining about it, but I wonder "What am I missing here?" Many of you have talked about making so many friends in Madison. What makes it so good? Can someone shed some light on this? Is there anyone out there who LOVES living in NE Jackson? The crime issue does bother me. Thanks ahead of time!

NE Jackson is not a bad place to live. The areas around Pear Orchard and Old Canton Road are especially nice. I once lived in those neighborhoods, and the people are friendly and the prices are reasonable. The only drawbacks, in my opinion, are the Hinds County taxes and the Jackson Police Department. The taxes are horrendous - expect to pay $600 and up for a car tag - and the police force is a joke at best. If you are robbed or mugged, don't expect any police help or protection. Other than those two issues, I really can't think of a reason why anyone would not want to live in NE Jackson. Oh, if you have school age kids and live in Jackson, you must send them to a private school due to the crime and drugs in the JPS system.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,924 times
Default scared to move to jackson

well i am kind of scared to move to the actual city limits of jackson, i have heard nothing good about it. everyone keeps telling me to look at ridgeland. are the schools good there because our son will start kindergarten next year. any suggestions on what neighborhoods are kid friendly/ nice neighborhood..

sorry its just i have never even been to mississippi except for horn lake and southaven.

dont know much about it..

Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM

36 posts, read 105,950 times
Some parts of Jackson are ok. But they are very small areas. For older houses with that extra charm look into Belhaven or Woodland hills. In Belhaven the farther north and east in the area the better it is. Woodland Hills has nice areas off Old Canton west of I-55, but stay east of State St. Northeast Jackson was getting bad when i left a few years ago. Any of these areas would actually end up being a long drive for you to the plant though. Morning and evening traffic through Madison and Ridgeland can be terrible. I always preferred living in Jackson as opposed to the surrounding areas. Except the car tag issue. They are extremely expensive and have a retarded way of figuring the price.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM

If you are looking for a house with a workshop and the extras, stay away from the subdivisions in Ridgeland like Wendover, Shadowood, Heatherstone, Muirwood, and so forth and so on. They all have strict covenants with petty and power tripping home owners associations. No out buildings allowed. You will need to look outside the city limits in Madison County to find such a luxury. Good luck with that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson