U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2022, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,425 posts, read 4,062,101 times
Reputation: 3578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Fair enough, and I appreciate your honestly. JacksonPanther has a reputation of just bringing an overly negative viewpoint to any and all things Mississippi. It just isn't useful when folks are simply trying to discuss things.

I personally don't think I sugarcoated anything - I do like Natchez, it's very different than other towns its size. Has a unique feel to it. It's certainly not a weeklong-vacation destination or anything like that, but I see no reason it can't be a decent weekend getaway, or a stop along a bigger trip or something.
You can complain about my "reputation," or you can listen to what an actual tourist said about Natchez - that his expectations were too high based on what he had read on this thread, that he was disappointed with what he saw, and that he would not return.

Mississippi's number one problem is never wanting to listen to and accept criticism. Instead the get all in their feelings and want to find fault with the messenger.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2022, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,659 posts, read 1,607,435 times
Reputation: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You can complain about my "reputation," or you can listen to what an actual tourist said about Natchez - that his expectations were too high based on what he had read on this thread, that he was disappointed with what he saw, and that he would not return.

Mississippi's number one problem is never wanting to listen to and accept criticism. Instead the get all in their feelings and want to find fault with the messenger.
OK, let's break this down.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm thinking of making my way to Natchez. Thoughts? Is it worth the detour? I'm interested in seeing all things Southern and was told that's a good place for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Regarding Natchez, yes, it's spectacular. Very quiet and overflowing with historic buildings and mansions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I would recommend Natchez. We went down there a few weeks ago.
That is what was said. You might take issue with brickpatio's use of "spectacular", but all else was just true statements. The OP was told that it was a good place, so obviously it has a reputation.

I still think Natchez is awesome. And it is if you have the right context. sdurbanite didn't like it, but liked Vicksburg. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Stuff happens, folks have different opinions.

The only person not listening or accepting criticism is you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2022, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,425 posts, read 4,062,101 times
Reputation: 3578
"Spectacular?" Come on. Paris is spectacular. Tokyo is spectacular. Natchez is not spectacular.

"Very quiet?" This actually was the truth. No tourists other than OP. A few lightly attended restaurants that are no better than anywhere else. No signs of life downtown.

"Overflowing with historic buildings and mansions?" That's just complete and utter real estate hyperbole, and is a terrible lie when told to a potential tourist.

Natchez has its place - as a destination for hard core history buffs, civil war enthusiasts, and Gone with the Wind types who want to see a tour guide in a hoop skirt. It has little to offer a typical tourist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2022, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo - Kensington
5,268 posts, read 12,218,809 times
Reputation: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
OK, let's break this down.......






That is what was said. You might take issue with brickpatio's use of "spectacular", but all else was just true statements. The OP was told that it was a good place, so obviously it has a reputation.

I still think Natchez is awesome. And it is if you have the right context. sdurbanite didn't like it, but liked Vicksburg. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Stuff happens, folks have different opinions.

The only person not listening or accepting criticism is you.
Didn't mean to create bickering in this thread. Just wanted to share my experiences and observations as an outsider with no ties to the area. And you're right, different strokes for different folks. Am I glad I visited all of the places that have been mentioned? Absolutely. All places deserve a visit at least once. I'm hoping to visit Oxford the next time I'm in the Deep South.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2022, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo - Kensington
5,268 posts, read 12,218,809 times
Reputation: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
"Spectacular?" Come on. Paris is spectacular. Tokyo is spectacular. Natchez is not spectacular.

"Very quiet?" This actually was the truth. No tourists other than OP. A few lightly attended restaurants that are no better than anywhere else. No signs of life downtown.

"Overflowing with historic buildings and mansions?" That's just complete and utter real estate hyperbole, and is a terrible lie when told to a potential tourist.

Natchez has its place - as a destination for hard core history buffs, civil war enthusiasts, and Gone with the Wind types who want to see a tour guide in a hoop skirt. It has little to offer a typical tourist.
I think the use of "Spectacular" is what drew me in. Had "Interesting" or "Has it's Charms" been used instead, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed at all. Like I said earlier, perhaps it's more lively on weekends. Downtown Natchez can appeal to an older crowd in that it's mains street doesn't have breweries, outdoor seating, buzzing coffee, e.g.

I saw some scattered older buildings but many of them didn't look to be maintained very well or at all. Just rough around the edges overall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2022, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,659 posts, read 1,607,435 times
Reputation: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I think the use of "Spectacular" is what drew me in. Had "Interesting" or "Has it's Charms" been used instead, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed at all. Like I said earlier, perhaps it's more lively on weekends. Downtown Natchez can appeal to an older crowd in that it's mains street doesn't have breweries, outdoor seating, buzzing coffee, e.g.

I saw some scattered older buildings but many of them didn't look to be maintained very well or at all. Just rough around the edges overall.
I'd be interested in where you went. I was there on a Sunday and there was at least one brewery that had people all around it. There were some, not lots, of people walking up and down the board walk and river trail. There were also people in and out of the restaurants and casino on the river. Obviously a lot of thing were closed due to it being Sunday, but to me that probably means it's usually more lively. And one thing about Natchez, it's only that downtown area that is cool, all the outskirts is just BFE backwoods MS river country with a lot of poverty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2022, 02:58 PM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,506,162 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Hi all,

It's been over a week since I was in your City and wanted to provide a quick trip report of my visit.

Overall, it was pretty much what I had expected, eg, slow-paced, easy to navigate and friendly locals. I did tour of the State Capitol building, which is always interesting. The volunteer guide was an old timer and native of Mississippi who had some good stories to tell. I didn't see too much going on in and around the rest of downtown, so I just drove around for a bit. Any plans to bring downtown to life again? Unfortunately, the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum was closed the day I was there. I was able to pick up a brochure on Civil Rights and didn't realize so much was happening in Jackson during that movement.

My meals at Thailicious and The Pig and Pint were great. On my way to The Pig and Pint, Google maps took me thru the neighborhood just behind the restaurant which seemed pretty rough, or maybe it was just my imagination? After lunch, I drove thru some neighborhood streets around the District at Eastover admiring all of the trees.

I like Pig and Pint, but it's hipster BBQ. For good BBQ (especially ribs), the more likely you are becoming a crime victim when buying it, the better it is!

It was a quick visit but the City is small enough to explore in a day and half. You could see how it's a City of the haves and have-nots. Good areas next to rough areas were a common site but I think that applies to most of the State, right?

One day in Jxn is plenty to see everything.


On my drive to Jackson from New Orleans, I was able to visit Natchez and Vicksburg along the way. Gotta say, Natchez was a disappointment. Perhaps it was my fault for expecting it to be like Savannah or Charleston. I definitely enjoyed my visit to the Longwood Plantation, but the rest of the City was....mostly rundown or dead. I checked out the nice view of the river below from Bluff Park and Natchez Under The Hill before heading out of town.

There are some touristy type crowds at the Tavern Under the Hill on warm spring weekend afternoons.


My next stop was to see the Windsor Ruins, which was pretty cool. Not anything you'd expect to see in the middle of no where. I drove along the Trace Natchez Parkway to get there and it was definitely hard to maintain the 50mph speed limit but the pleasant drive was worth it.

The old Rodney Presbyterian Church is a neat stop, but it is in the middle of nowhere.


Final stop before Jackson was Vicksburg National Military Park. Lots of history and photo opps here. Reading the plaques along the drive the Park was really cool. The town town itself was pretty night. The downtown area is much nicer than downtown Natchez, for sure.

Concur, V'bur > Natchez by a long shot.

Thanks again to the posters here who gave suggestions on things to do while I was visiting your beautiful State.
For touristy type attractions, the Coast is likely your best bet. Unfortunately, our state and local governments suck at developing tourism.

Last edited by viverlibre; 02-21-2022 at 03:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2022, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo - Kensington
5,268 posts, read 12,218,809 times
Reputation: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'd be interested in where you went. I was there on a Sunday and there was at least one brewery that had people all around it. There were some, not lots, of people walking up and down the board walk and river trail. There were also people in and out of the restaurants and casino on the river. Obviously a lot of thing were closed due to it being Sunday, but to me that probably means it's usually more lively. And one thing about Natchez, it's only that downtown area that is cool, all the outskirts is just BFE backwoods MS river country with a lot of poverty.
I was looking at my photos and it appears that I was there on a Sunday. It was cold that day so maybe that kept people away? I walked along the park where the white gazebo is located, then checked out Main St. I found that street to be a bit drab in that it was treeless and lacked any outdoor seating. The businesses and restaurants didn't look very interesting to me so I never stopped to stroll. Checked out the Under the Hill area and it was ok.

Does Natchez have the potential to become a better tourist destination? Of course, it does, but not at the same level as Charleston or Savannah. It should looks to Vicksburg on how to spruce itself up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2022, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo - Kensington
5,268 posts, read 12,218,809 times
Reputation: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
For touristy type attractions, the Coast is likely your best bet. Unfortunately, our state and local governments suck at developing tourism.
You're right, The Pig and Pint reminded me of the BBQ places where I live. Less authentic, and more of a scene. It was still good though. I remember walking into a BBQ joint in a rough area of Memphis and everyone looked up and was like "How did you get here?" Turned out, they were super friendly and told me what I needed to order since it was my first time there. Situations like that are memorable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top