Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,731 times

Advertisements

My brother and his family (wife, 2 young boys) are moving to Jackson from Colorado next month. They are very excited. He's been offered a great job, likes the people and the State. What are some of the areas they should be looking at to purchase a house, and how are the public schools vs private. Thanks, looking forward to visiting them and enjoying some fine Mississippi BBQ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 PM

114 posts, read 419,342 times
Madison and Rankin Counties are fine places to live and the public schools are good. Hinds county is not very good. He can look at some houses on the internet. Click on search homes and enter the location and price range.
Home Search

Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,731 times
Thanks, PN. Sent this to my brother.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,342 times
There are some public schools in Jackson that are decent, but the better public schools are in the suburbs (Clinton, Madison, Ridgeland, Brandon, Northwest Rankin). If you're interested in private schools, most of them are in Jackson or close by (Jackson Prep, Jackson Academy, St. Andrews, etc) and they are great schools. As for housing, there are some good neighborhoods/communities in northeast Jackson like Fondren, Belhaven, Eastover, and more. If they are into the artsy lifestyle, I would recommend Fondren.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,058 times
I wouldn't recommend any public schools in Jackson. Rankin County and Madison schools are all good. They would probably like the Reservoir area of Rankin County. My son and his family live there and they love it.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,342 times
It has been heart breaking to see some of the Jackson public schools take the downward turn they have over the past decade, but there are still some hopeful schools. There are some level 5 public schools in Jackson, but most of them are elementary and/or middle schools. There is also the Montessori schools that accept a limited number of students each year, which are part of the public school system but it does cost something to go there (though not near what the private schools charge).

Also, I was surprised to find Murrah High School on this list (America's Top Public High Schools), but I have heard they have a large number of students that test well there:
America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson