Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

I am gonna assume something must be wrong. I checked the crime and its been going down every year, although at 550 its still high but maybe itll drop alot more soon? The house doesnt look like a dump, although its small with only 2 bedrooms. Probably needs some TLC or just use it as a cheapo storage shed or for your pets maybe?

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/jacksonms/listings/large/026/169471_0.jpg (broken link)

Theres some for a few thousand without pics. This one is just under $10k, another 2 bedroomer.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/jacksonms/listings/large/080/166925_0.jpg (broken link)

Probably in much better condition than the $2500 house to cost four times the price!

Unbelivably, there are 115 houses for $20k or less and 216 houses for $20k to $50k! Maybe theres some safer suburbs of Jackson with major bargain houses?

Its a 500 mile plus drive from Gainesville FL(we will visit my bro and sis in that city) so if theres a good reason we should make the day long drive to Jackson, MS say so. Crime scares me so ill be wanting a safe area. I am fine with a TLC or handyman special as long as the cost and time for repairs is worthwhile in respect to the house's value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am gonna assume something must be wrong. I checked the crime and its been going down every year, although at 550 its still high but maybe itll drop alot more soon? The house doesnt look like a dump, although its small with only 2 bedrooms. Probably needs some TLC or just use it as a cheapo storage shed or for your pets maybe?

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/jacksonms/listings/large/026/169471_0.jpg (broken link)
Ok Now I have to ask "what are you smoking or taking"

"The house doesnt look like a dump" "Probably needs some TLC"
OMG it has NO ROOF !!!
and the back right corner of the house looks like it is missing
the only thing this needs is a bulldozer

As many people have told you time and time again price is not everything

Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I had to take another look and it does have a roof but something looks a little amiss about the right corner. Probably just put a tarp or flat piece of wood for a quick, cheap fix. The windows arent boarded and if any have cracks, its cheap to replace. I dont know what condition the house is on the inside. If the land has $5000 or more value, may be worth tearing down and selling the vacent land. I know price isnt everything and realise Jackson is a questionable location. This is why I have to ask whats wrong, whats the catch and is it too good to be true? Look at the $10k house, looks problem free!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
And for the crime problem, the CITY has 550. It's a big city. It's not as though every area is as "bad" as a 550 crime zone. There are safe areas. You've gotta find them.

And considering that one house has no roof - don't buy it. You can't just stick a tarp over it! Did you forget about any amount of rain? Any amount of wind? Any amount of ANYTHING? That "tarp roof" will be gone/leaking/have a hole. It's just not gonna happen, unless you're staying there for a weekend or something. Not to live in!

Once again - if your ideas made sense - EVERYONE WOULD BE BUYING CHEAP HOUSING LIKE THIS!

Although it's true that some areas are cheaper than others, obviously, you're not going to find a $10k house in okay condition in any kind of okay area. It's not gonna happen. Not even in the desert or an abandoned plain. It's just not feasible. If you know about the market and avg. prices, you'd know it's not possible. I know you do know quite a bit, so give up on this cheap housing fantasy.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Just ignore that naysayer- Bmurphy. I think that first house is a diamond in the rough. There's even room for a garden. I've posted it in the General U.S. forum to share with a wider audience.

Quote:
I had to take another look and it does have a roof but something looks a little amiss about the right corner. Probably just put a tarp or flat piece of wood for a quick, cheap fix. The windows arent boarded and if any have cracks, its cheap to replace. I dont know what condition the house is on the inside. If the land has $5000 or more value, may be worth tearing down and selling the vacent land. I know price isnt everything and realise Jackson is a questionable location. This is why I have to ask whats wrong, whats the catch and is it too good to be true? Look at the $10k house, looks problem free!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
You're suggesting someone buy a $10k house? Good luck with that one. Sorry to be a "naysayer", but $10k for a house just isn't right.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Well Need I am pretty sure you're budget range was 100k and less.

I assume you will be making 25k a year plus or maybe you should find another job -- trucking, construction work, accounting, graphic design what not.

I think something safe would be 50k. You could get a double wide or smaller kind of house and have some space around Jackson.

I think you'd like Mississippi. The climate is warm and humid but it doesnt freeze like your Oil City. There is more green and seasons so that should help your mental health You are not going to be surrounded by rich people/low wages like in Florida. It would drive me nuts too. Again it is close enough to Florida for a long day drive to visit family but far enough away to not have any influence with the prices.

Keep your search in the 50-100k range and get something decent. The average housing price is 120k in Jackson and salaries in the area are overall lower than in other parts of the country its a nice place as well. Look at suburbs like Clinton, Ridgeland, Canton. Stay out of dangerous/ghetto areas of town. It will help to take a trip up with a realtor.

And do something nice for yourself. Buy some ice cream, take a nice bubble bath or shower. I don't think you like yourself very much and your body/mind doesn't like how you are treating it. And get the hell out of high cost southern florida if you are free lance and just move already

You have obsessive compulsive disorder and should probably seek some pills/psychiatric help. Its a fixation on housing prices that of course nowhere in america is under 10k going to get you anything remotely decent. Thats okay too we all have problems (Mine is social anxiety) but something we all work through.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
Quote:
I think you should go for it, Needs. We'll check here for updates on your progress. We can enjoy your aquisition vicariously.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 AM

51 posts, read 312,824 times
Default Where can I find the 500 doillars one

I woud like to kjnow where to fing the 500 and 1000 dollar one. I woudl buy them for the land value. Can you tell me where I can find them.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM

227 posts, read 293,018 times
You also wont have to go far when shopping for crack...hell the crack business men live in the back bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson