Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 146,547 times

Advertisements

I have recently been offered a promotional opportunity in Jackson, Ms. We will be relocating from Austin, Texas and concerned somewhat about the crime in Jackson. Can anyone provide the names of the safest suburbs to raise a family? We are also concerned about which county offers the best school system for our elementary school children. I am hoping to find something within the 225k-250k price range and within 30-45 minute to downtown Jackson. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
Brandon, Flowood or Madison would be your best choices. The schools are good in those area and you should have no problem finding a house in your price range. I personally love the Reservoir area which would be either Brandon or Flowood.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 20,174 times
Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Brandon, Flowood or Madison would be your best choices. The schools are good in those area and you should have no problem finding a house in your price range. I personally love the Reservoir area which would be either Brandon or Flowood.
The way it goes is,

Madison most expensive, The mayor is a real defender of all that is homeownership. The mcdonalds will have a facade and you will pay for all the pretty in everything you do. I personally would not live anyplace near it, but if you like being controlled or controlling your community and neighbors, it should be on your short list. I think they do not even allow rentals of anything. This is also where the money lives.

Brandon is where everyone wants to live so if you work a normal shift you will get traffic. Coming from Austin you will think it is lovely and not care. Honestly, probably the best choice, but a bit far out.

FLowood traffic bugs me, but it is not bad compared to most cities. Old 4 lane 49 really needs to be widened at rush hour or something. But, I would say don't chop it off your list, you really might fall in love with some of the areas.

North Jackson is nice enough, but, it does have a higher crime rate. Since everyone is working during the day guess what happens. I sure would not like to burgle poor houses. It would have to be private schools anywhere in Jackson.

South Jackson is looked down upon. You can buy a buncha houses for that money and rent them I actually live there and my $40k house is paid for, but I keep dogs and I do not recommend that area. Do I feel safe there? Absolutly. Do people from other areas feel safe there? Not at all!

Good luck.

Dan

Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,000 times
I am from the Memphis, TN area and am looking at a oppurtunity in Jackson. I currently do not live in Memphis proper because of the crime rate. Basically, I am living out in the burbs of Arkansas. Is there a place near Jackson that would be like eastern Arkansas? I want to live in a good area with decent schools. However, I do not want to deal with wacko homeowners associations. I would also like to find a place where I can at least get a digital subscriber line within range.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
Any of the big subdivisions of Brandon, Flowood or Madison will have homeowners' associations. You might look for homes in Brandon that aren't in a subdivision. There are also some nice areas of Pearl. Also the Raymond area might be what you're looking for.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 AM

101 posts, read 307,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
That is how it is. Only stay in the surrounding suburbs. STAY OUT OF JACKSON as far as living. But Madison is the top one then Flowood and Brandon. You will be good in either of these places.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,589 times
Default Don't forget about Clinton

Madison is great but VERY expensive and the people who live there tend to want you to know how much money they have (sorry - don't mean to offend anyone). If you want a great place to raise a family without all of the pressure of "keeping up with the Jones's" that you get in Madison and without all of the crime issues you get with Jackson you should look into Clinton. It is a small college town with a really neat "main streeet" area. It has a great public school system and has several amazing private schools nearby if interested. The Natchez Trace runs right by Clinton so you can hop on it and be in North Jackson/Madison is 20 minutes.
As for downtown - I worked downtown for 5 years. It is true that you don't want to be walking around after dark downtown; however, during the day it is very safe, has lots of great restaurants, parks to walk through during lunch, and is actually quite beautiful to look at. I enjoyed the time I spent working downtown in Jackson.
If you are interested in Clinton, I have a 4 br, 3 1/2 bath home in the only gated community in Clinton that I am interested in leasing.
Good luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 26,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfpilot View Post
I have recently been offered a promotional opportunity in Jackson, Ms. We will be relocating from Austin, Texas and concerned somewhat about the crime in Jackson. Can anyone provide the names of the safest suburbs to raise a family? We are also concerned about which county offers the best school system for our elementary school children. I am hoping to find something within the 225k-250k price range and within 30-45 minute to downtown Jackson. Thanks
If you want top notch PUBLIC schools-----Madison
If you want property value preservation---Madison
If you want a very FAMILY orientated town----Madison

There really is no comparison between Madison and surrounding suburbs.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,589 times
If you have an opportunity, you should visit before you decide where you want to live. I think you should at least check out Clinton. It is a very nice little college town that is very well located. Highways and Natchez Trace give easy access to anywhere you want to go. It is a growing city - new Home Depot, new Kroger, new Starbucks, new McDonald's, new Zaxby's, and various other new restaurants and businesses. Clinton has very good schools, is very family oriented and has very good home resale value as well. It's just a matter of how much you want for your money and which little city you like better. Your dollar will go alot further in Clinton - especially in the price range that you are looking at. You will not go wrong with either city - they are both great places to live and will both be good investments.
I have a 4000 sq ft, 4 br & 3 1/2 bath home in a gated community in Clinton for lease. If you are interested I'll be happy to get more info to you.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
If you're looking for fake columns and foo foo strip malls-----Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson