Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,922 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Jackson after living in Atlanta for 6 years. I only know a few family members here. I am looking to meet young professionals in their late 20's/early 30's but have no idea where to go! I am starting over from scratch hoping I didn't make the wrong decision!

Please help...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM

57 posts, read 217,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiej View Post
I am relocating to Jackson after living in Atlanta for 6 years. I only know a few family members here. I am looking to meet young professionals in their late 20's/early 30's but have no idea where to go! I am starting over from scratch hoping I didn't make the wrong decision!

Please help...
Your family doesn't have any information?

What race are you? I would think that's important if you're
realistic about your options.

What sex are you?

Are you looking for "fun" and dating...or a serious love story?

Are you very religious? (a big plus in Missy; not to mention there's
a church on every corner).

I think you should hang around the colleges or get involved with
people connected to college events and activities.

I think you should hang out in FONDEREN area.

I think you should become scientific about where the "professional"
people are (horse back riding? country fish farms?) and find a way
to befriend those types and tag along with their groups.

Anything can be done/achieved...if you really want to do it.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM

57 posts, read 217,303 times
P.S.

I met a really sexy guy at a men's Soccer game (I post using a man's name, but I'm female).

And I never would have attended that soccer game if I hadn't been invited by a Coach at one of the colleges.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,922 times
ha... My family has no clue. My mom is divorced and in her 50's and my brother is married with a 2 month old baby! Social lives aren't in the same arena as what I'm looking for.

I'm 29 white female. By professional... I mean... not slackers.

Any advice? Please!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,406 times
Hello Brooke and welcome to Jackson. It's not much to do as compared to Atlanta (I love visiting there) but you can make the best out of our social life. I'm a 28 y/o black professional and I go to all aspects of our nightlife here. I agree with Claude you can visit the Fondern area but if you're more interested in a louder social setting then you should try Bulldogs or the Electric Cowboy on Ridgewood Road. We have Time Out on Old Canton Road. There are 2 spots downtown called Fire and Hal & Mals both are by each other on State Street.

If you be patient with the progress taking place downtown we will soon have a entertainment district on Farish Street and Old Capitol Green entertainment district.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Hello brookiej, and welcome to Jackson! I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the Jackson Free Press, it's on news stands around the city on Wednesdays. They also have a website, you can google it and find it easily (I would post it here, but the mods would delete it). It lists events, parties, concerts, art shows, etc for the week and will allow you the chance to choose the type of setting you think you would enjoy the most. As for just walking around, downtown is great, especially around Congress St (there are some local restaurants and a bar) and Fondren is great to take a stroll through, go shopping, grab some coffee, etc. Hope this helps!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiej View Post
I am looking to meet young professionals in their late 20's/early 30's but have no idea where to go!
I am not from Jackson but am a male young prof'l in 20's who has investigated Jackson/almost moved there once/still may move there in future. If you are wanting to meet people and get into the whole young prof'l scene then the best thing to do in any city is tap into the young prof'l group for that city--and Jackson has one.
Young Up & Coming Professionals
It is for all of Metro Jackson which includes Ridgeland/Flowood/etc.
Jackson's downtown kind of lags behind some other similar-sized cities. I am not sure if they are developing condos or anything yet. I have not been there in more than a year so am not sure if Fondren Street is re-developed, but it is supposed to be a cool downtown destination. I know a lot of the 20's crowd frequent Hals and Mals bar and restaurant. There are a ton of nice apartment complexes in the Ridgeland area that have lots of young prof's living in them--check around the Rice Rd./Spillway area.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by innovator82; 02-22-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Fondren has been doing well as long as I can remember, and there are several different varieties of downtown condos/apartments available now, ranging from loft apartments to high rise condos.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,114 times
Know it's not specifically meant for me, but good information.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
I agree with Claude you can visit the Fondern area but if you're more interested in a louder social setting then you should try Bulldogs or the Electric Cowboy on Ridgewood Road. We have Time Out on Old Canton Road. There are 2 spots downtown called Fire and Hal & Mals both are by each other on State Street.
In other words, you just need to hit the various bars and clubs around town. There are many. Grab a copy of the Jackson Free Press each week for a running list of clubs, live-music spots, and bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
If you be patient with the progress taking place downtown we will soon have a entertainment district on Farish Street and Old Capitol Green entertainment district.
Ha Ha! Ha HA HA HA!!!
We will "soon" have an entertainment district? Bwa-ha-ha!!!

Have you driven or walked through Farish St recently? The area is as bombed-out as its ever been. Other than F Jones Corner (a great place to hang out at, btw) there are no signs of progress, after multiple years of talk. What a friggin disaster.
Every building is still open to the elements, which means nothing is being done - if anything was happening the buildings would be boarded up and fenced to keep out construction thieves. But since there is no construction, there's no fear of thieves, so buildings are all left open.
I don't know where the money is going, but no progress is evident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson