U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,403,488 times

Advertisements

I am heading through Jackson, MS on my way to gulf to visit my very good friend from college and his wife (in southern MS) in a couple months. I understand from reading other threads that areas of the inner city (Jackson) have iffy areas. I am interested in hotels in either the Ridgeland/Madison area, Clinton, or areas along US-49 south of I-20. Clinton is my top pick at this point.

Are these areas OK as for safety and amenities such as restaurants and decent gas stations? At this point, I am open-minded but wanted to see where good areas to stay that are reasonably-priced but in safe, clean areas with amenities nearby. Any insight is welcomed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,531,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I am heading through Jackson, MS on my way to gulf to visit my very good friend from college and his wife (in southern MS) in a couple months. I understand from reading other threads that areas of the inner city (Jackson) have iffy areas. I am interested in hotels in either the Ridgeland/Madison area, Clinton, or areas along US-49 south of I-20. Clinton is my top pick at this point.

Are these areas OK as for safety and amenities such as restaurants and decent gas stations? At this point, I am open-minded but wanted to see where good areas to stay that are reasonably-priced but in safe, clean areas with amenities nearby. Any insight is welcomed.
Hi Chris

I don't know your budget but here are three choices in the Ridgeland area.
Red Roof Inn 810 Adcock St. Under $40 a night
I stayed there and found the rooms clean and safe. It's a drive up to your room type motel.
Around the corner is a Days Inn. 150 Centre St. They are under $70 a night with free breakfast. They have a waffle machine that makes a mean waffle plus the usual. This is a typical lobby elevator hotel. Rooms were clean and car was safe in the parking lot. Free ethernet access in your room.
There is a Hilton at 1001 E. County Line Road. I've never stayed there but I heard it's not bad.
There are restaurants all along County Line Road. All within 1-2 blocks of these hotels. Malls and gas stations too.
If you have AAA or something you can usually save $5 or so per night off the room prices at these hotels.
Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM

783 posts, read 2,046,197 times
We spent valentine's at the red roof at county line and it was pretty nice. Some very nice fooderies in the area including a great japanese place in the mall on the other side of 55 (park behind red lobster and you'll be right there).

Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Thank you, NWS and postpones. I am looking for a motel room in between $55-$80 per night price range. The Days Inn in Ridgeland would be my most likely choice. I am looking for a Comfort Inn/Quality Inn/Days Inn/Best Western/Super 8 type of motel.

Looking at expedia and other hotel sites, I found it wierd that many swimming pools do not have hot tubs nearby them (not nearly as much as in the Midwest and the West). Knowing the climate, outdoor pools are common (very few indoor pools from what I see).

I was thinking of something like a Comfort Inn, Best Western, Super 8, or Days Inn (something economical but clean, comfortable, and safe).

At this point, the most likely scenario would be me crossing through a good chunk of Arkansas and coming in to Jackson from the west on I-20 (getting on I-20 west of Vicksburg).

Is Clinton or Richland/Pearl area good (safe and clean) areas to rent a hotel room?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
NWS

There is a Quality Inn in Clinton right off I-20 off Springridge Rd.
Quality Inn
103 Johnston Place
Clinton, MS 39056

There is a Hampton Inn Jackson/Clinton
493 Springridge Road
Clinton, MS 39056

and
Holiday Inn Express
Write a review
495 Springridge Rd
Clinton, MS 39056
It is a safe area near many restaurants. I've never stayed there but I pass it almost every day. It is very nice.

Do not stay at the Days Inn in Clinton. It is a dump in need of remodeling.
I have stayed there. I was supposed to stay for 4 nights and I had to leave after the first night. Drains were clogged, rooms were dreary. Yuck.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM

I made my decision and decided to stay in Clinton, MS at the Comfort Inn. The hotel was on the higher end of my price range, but would be a nice treat with an indoor pool and hot tub. A decent hotel not too far off the beaten path and near conveniences. I was debating between that or a hotel in the Pearl area and had a better vibe towards Clinton. Also, after driving for 10-11 hrs. from Kansas City, I would rather save driving through Jackson on I-20 for the following morning when going to Biloxi to visit a good college buddy and his wife.

I look forward to heading through Mississippi and hopefully the weather is good. I have been to Mississippi on three different occasions and had very good experiences and was impressed by the scenery (trees are nice-not much for trees in South Dakota except in town, farmsteads, and major river valleys and lakes), and the people. Thanks to NWS and postpone again.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM
NWS

You will be on Springridge Rd. There's plenty of fast food right there. McDonalds, Taco Bell Burger King Popeyes, Shoneys all in walking distance if you wanted to. Also several restaurants within a half mile. One Mexicanyou could walk to from the hotel called Salsas. Also about a 1/4 north is a nice Mexican place called Las Margaritas. Others are on hwy 80 a short ride from the hotel. Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 AM

581 posts, read 1,274,116 times
Quote:
I made my decision and decided to stay in Clinton, MS at the Comfort Inn. The hotel was on the higher end of my price range, but would be a nice treat with an indoor pool and hot tub. A decent hotel not too far off the beaten path and near conveniences. I was debating between that or a hotel in the Pearl area and had a better vibe towards Clinton. Also, after driving for 10-11 hrs. from Kansas City, I would rather save driving through Jackson on I-20 for the following morning when going to Biloxi to visit a good college buddy and his wife.

I look forward to heading through Mississippi and hopefully the weather is good. I have been to Mississippi on three different occasions and had very good experiences and was impressed by the scenery (trees are nice-not much for trees in South Dakota except in town, farmsteads, and major river valleys and lakes), and the people. Thanks to NWS and postpone again.
Yeah Clinton will be fine, very nice area. You can also check out some Marriott properties they have in the area. I think it's a Courtyard or maybe a Fairfield. Enjoy you time in Metro Jackson.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 PM

The Comfort Inn was a nice hotel. I loved the pool and hot tub area and it was very clean. The staff was very friendly. I have no regrets staying there.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM
NWS

Quote:
The Comfort Inn was a nice hotel. I loved the pool and hot tub area and it was very clean. The staff was very friendly. I have no regrets staying there.
Glad you enjoyed your stay Chris.
Did you take any pictures? Our picture thread could use some help from you if you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson