Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 PM
cbz cbz started this thread

22 posts, read 115,496 times

Advertisements

Peppermint - thanks about the weather comment - in Portland there is no humidity or mosquitos - so the summer weather is truly glorious. The downside is that it rains a lot the rest of the year with no rain in the summer. I do hate humidity - but if it's only for a couple of months in the Summer with the rest of the year being warm without strong humidity then we should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
See climate-charts.com for a graph show daily high temps. Mid-October will be dry and in the 70s (average daily high temps), drops to mid-50s by December, and back to 70s in April. Weather is usually great and seasonal on Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, and Memorial Day. Steamy summer doldrums are July, August, through late-September.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
For me, it's miserable from late April until mid-October. I don't hike or do many outdoor activities during those months. I think over time you will get used to the climate, but the first year might be a little overwhelming. You will certainly spend quite a bit to cool your home that first summer since you will not be acclimated.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM

93 posts, read 216,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Madison is full of transplants from all over the country. My guess is that it would be an easy place to get connected, because of the strong sense of community in Madison. There are churches all over the place that are constantly looking to welcome new members. And there are some very nice schools, public and private in the Madison area that provide an obvious opportunity for connecting with others.
I live close to Madison and I agree with this. Madison has many new people moving in all the time; Madison County is one of the fastest growing areas in Mississippi, so you know all of the people can't possibly be natives. You may have to make a bit of an effort to make friends at first, but there are plenty of nice folks there.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 AM

35 posts, read 245,049 times
One of my friends who went to Madison Central HS also went to grad school at MIT for civil engineering.

Another who went to Jackson Prep graduated from Georgetown University law (#1 law school in the country) and clerked for the highest appellate court in the U.S.

Those kids are exceptional, but of course you have to be exceptional (or a legacy) to be admitted at those universities.

However, there's a big trend now of employers disliking Ivy League graduates because they tend to want everything handed to them.

I dislike Madison but love Ridgeland except for their dog laws.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM

190 posts, read 692,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbz View Post
That left us to believe that we'd be better off moving into an area with other transplants. We are active in our kids' schools and in church - we are yankees, but like to think we are open minded and not arrogant like others from our area - do you think we'd have any problems fitting in?
A good many transplants in Madison. If you are active in school activities and church, you shouldn't have much trouble finding folks to bond with. Not sure of your age, but I will sayd the under 40 crowd in Madison is a bit on the snobbish side and really into the "outdoing the Joneses" type lifestyle. Not to say there aren't some easy going folks in that age group here, but we do seem to be outnumbered a bit.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times
When I went to University of Pennsylvania a couple years ago, we had a few folks who graduated from Mississippi High Schools. Including one from Madison (or maybe it was Ridgeland?). I agree that they often look at people from under-represented states because it brings geographic diversity. That said, while the average performance of schools in Mississippi may be lower than it states with a high educational funding, chances are that schools in an affluent area (such as Madison) will be on par with schools of a similar affluence elsewhere in the country. The weather and pace of life may be a big culture shock, but the school system should be perfectly good at sending you on to competitive national schools.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:44 PM

21 posts, read 65,791 times
I lived in madison Ms for 2 yrs. I was a Norheast transplant. I noticed the area was full of transplants. As in every town, say hello be polite, if you get a reponse, you know you're welcome. Remember, wherever you go, there will always be someone who doesn't like change and that means newcomers. You can always pick your friends. I was a yankee, loved Ms. got used to the weather. Had a great job with nice co-workers. yes there was one who didn't accept the "yankee", but hey, there's always one in every crowd. lol I have since moved on, due to job transfer, but still have fond memories of my short southern lifestyle. It's a good place to bring up kids y'all.
Good Luck!!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,157 times
Hi, I live in the Madison area and I love it. It will definitely be an adjustment for you but that's because it is a different part of the country with a different climate and culture. If you can be accepting of the people here they will most surely be accepting of you. The fall, winter and spring are very mild but I have to say...the summers can be brutally hot. Not to worry.... cars, homes and businesses are all air conditioned so you won't notice it for too long. It does take time to adjust but be patient with yourself. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,157 times
I failed to mention in my previous post that Madison County has excellent schools. I graduated from them as did both of my children. I have had an excellent career and my son graduated with honors from both highschool and college and was recruited by many companies prior to his University graduation. My daughter is in graduate school and was accepted by numerous schools across the country. Our public schools are wonderful but if you feel they are not to your standards, we also have excellent private schools. The only reason for not getting a good education here is ....NOT WANTING ONE. I think you will be pleased when you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson