U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 AM

809 posts, read 1,639,401 times

Advertisements

since Jackson is on the upswing in growth, can we possibly make the 2010 JJ a landmark event of attendance going forward? I've been to quite a few JJ's but it's never been "packed" before. but I got a feeling that if everybody is ready to JAM! in 2010 we can get the word out and make it official with an attendance record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 PM

35 posts, read 102,611 times
Scheduling of this event is usually during the warmest and most humid time of the year. Suffice it to say that 2009 was a bust due to the enormous amount of rain we've had. The Miss. Fair also lost out with the wet stuff even tried to add an extra day to make up for the lost revenue.

I have not been to a JJ event but would be willing to do so if it was during a more inviting time of year(weatherwise) and possibly a little better talent lineup.

With $90 mil investment in King Edward and some other plans in the works, maybe Jackson town will one day be a great place to hang out.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,021,210 times
Most bands tour during the fall, winter and spring, which is why most music festivals occur during the summer. It's the best time of the year to get bands to perform. However, this past year was harsh with 100+ heat index and high humidity. I believe one major issue is the heat generated by all the hard surfaces, ie asphalt streets, concrete sidewalks, etc. JJ use to be located on the lawn by One Jackson Place on Capitol street, but now the Pinnacle building stands there - to me, it was much more enjoyable to be able to stand/sit on the grass while enjoying the live performances. Downtown desperately needs a large green space where events like JJ can take place. If Old Capitol Green ever becomes a reality, then that would be a great location for JJ. Instead of waiting on that concept to come to fruition, I would rather see the city be proactive and construct a green space in front of the new convention center, one that is a 2 full blocks. Not only would it provide a great location for outdoor festivals/events, but it would also increase the property values surrounding the area, therefore increasing tax revenue for the city.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM

138 posts, read 447,082 times
Forgive me, but what is the Jubilee Jam...I would come up from the coast if I knew what it was??

Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
Forgive me, but what is the Jubilee Jam...I would come up from the coast if I knew what it was??
It's an annual music and art festival in Jackson, usually around mid-June. A few performers from the list of many over the years:
James Brown
Little Richard
the Neville Brothers
Gregg Allman
Little Feat
ZZ Top
The Temptations
Bonnie Raitt
John Prine
Blood Sweat and Tears
Sun Ra
Grand Funk Railroad
Puddle of Mudd
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Joan Jett
George Clinton
Breaking Benjamin
Egypt Central
Shinedown
Tantric
Johnny Cash
David Banner
North Mississippi All-Starts
Black Crowes
Charlie Mars
Galactic
Hurt
Blind Melon
Saving Abel
Carolina Liar
Guster
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Three Days Grace
3 6 Mafia
Ludacris
Corey Smith
Smash Mouth

Jubilee!JAM: June 19 & 20 Music and Arts Festival in Downtown Jackson, Mississippi

Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Downtown desperately needs a large green space where events like JJ can take place.

indeed. Jackson needs to create more Parks that can house events like this.

Who do we contact on something like that?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
indeed. Jackson needs to create more Parks that can house events like this.

Who do we contact on something like that?
Anyone who will listen - Mayor Harvey Johnson, city councilmen/women, Downtown Partners (Ben Allen), etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone who will listen - Mayor Harvey Johnson, city councilmen/women, Downtown Partners (Ben Allen), etc.
start at the top and work our way down. I think I can get a letter on his desk about somehting like this for the city of Jackson. it could definitely help the tax base.

another thing, the organizers might need to consider more "drier" days further into the summer if rain and mud is always an issue during the Spring.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM

138 posts, read 447,082 times
Quote:
It's an annual music and art festival in Jackson, usually around mid-June.

Jubilee!JAM: June 19 & 20 Music and Arts Festival in Downtown Jackson, Mississippi
Thanks...this would explain why I don't know about it...not in MS in June, sorry, cant come, but it sounds like a blast.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,799 times
Anyone have any idea who is gonna perform at Jubilee Jam this jear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson