Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM

163 posts, read 156,149 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to metro Jackson. I'm from Dallas, wife is from MS Delta and we currently reside in Atlanta. Trying to get closer to wife's hometown. Looking for opinions on the area from any transplants from DFW or Atlanta. We don't mind that it is smaller city,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Madison, comparable to probably Alpharetta, is loaded with transplants. Shopping along Highland Colony Parkway looks like something out of Dallas or Atlanta, very new and nice. Residential areas along Hwy 463 in Madison (roughly speaking, the Annandale, Reunion, and Lake Caroline communities) are similar to what you would find in DFW and Atlanta suburbs. For very high end, there is Lost Rabbit, a new urbanism community right on the reservoir in Madison. There are other very nice neighboroods along Rice Rd in Madison on down to the neighborhoods adjacent to the Jackson Yacht Club. Jackson's equivalent to Virginia-Highlands would be the Belhaven and Fondren-Woodland Hills neighborhoods on either side of the University Medical Center. There isn't really a neighorhood like Park Cities or Buckhead, but Jackson's Eastover area is quite beautiful and is now very much an in-town neighborhood. The Reservoir area on the Rankin County side, including the Northsore area (literally the north shore of Pelahatchie Bay), is also likely full of transplants due to being nice, relatively far out, good schools, new shopping along Lakeland Drive, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
What type of area do you prefer to live/work in? Do you prefer the downtown/midtown of Dallas/Atlanta or do you prefer the suburbs? Also, what type of occupations are you considering in Jackson? (I know Jackson is relatively small compared to both Dallas and Atlanta, so your commute time will more than likely seem like nothing to you regardless - but it's still worth looking at, especially once you get use to it here).

Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Madison, comparable to probably Alpharetta, is loaded with transplants. Shopping along Highland Colony Parkway looks like something out of Dallas or Atlanta, very new and nice. Residential areas along Hwy 463 in Madison (roughly speaking, the Annandale, Reunion, and Lake Caroline communities) are similar to what you would find in DFW and Atlanta suburbs. For very high end, there is Lost Rabbit, a new urbanism community right on the reservoir in Madison. There are other very nice neighboroods along Rice Rd in Madison on down to the neighborhoods adjacent to the Jackson Yacht Club. Jackson's equivalent to Virginia-Highlands would be the Belhaven and Fondren-Woodland Hills neighborhoods on either side of the University Medical Center. There isn't really a neighorhood like Park Cities or Buckhead, but Jackson's Eastover area is quite beautiful and is now very much an in-town neighborhood. The Reservoir area on the Rankin County side, including the Northsore area (literally the north shore of Pelahatchie Bay), is also likely full of transplants due to being nice, relatively far out, good schools, new shopping along Lakeland Drive, etc.
+1

If you wanna do it right when you move, do it this way^. move to Madison. don't settle. Jackson is a great city to play in, but living there can burn you if you're not used to it. the only areas recommended are in Fondren and if you're coming from Dallas or ATL I don't think Fondren would be your flavor since it's more established country porch types who will not put up with your speakers bumping down the street or loud BBQ's and get togethers in the backyard.they will have the Laws in your life quickly over there. but very beautiful area nonetheless. same as EastOver.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
+1

If you wanna do it right when you move, do it this way^. move to Madison. don't settle. Jackson is a great city to play in, but living there can burn you if you're not used to it. the only areas recommended are in Fondren and if you're coming from Dallas or ATL I don't think Fondren would be your flavor since it's more established country porch types who will not put up with your speakers bumping down the street or loud BBQ's and get togethers in the backyard.they will have the Laws in your life quickly over there. but very beautiful area nonetheless. same as EastOver.
I'm not sure I follow you here. Sarcasm?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I'm not sure I follow you here. Sarcasm?
Sarcasm with truth. It's not the most urban of communities and a family coming from Dallas or ATL is most likely gonna want some of that aspect and Fondren is too artsy fartsy for that. not to mention most the houses are expensive as hell and the tenants are mostly retirees who want peace and quiet. However, the apartment living is stellar. but I don't think he's looking for an apartment. I may be wrong.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm with truth. It's not the most urban of communities and a family coming from Dallas or ATL is most likely gonna want some of that aspect and Fondren is too artsy fartsy for that. not to mention most the houses are expensive as hell and the tenants are mostly retirees who want peace and quiet. However, the apartment living is stellar. but I don't think he's looking for an apartment. I may be wrong.
Being that I live in Fondren, I have to respectfully disagree. Fondren is all about freedom of choice, which goes along with artsy communities. You don't have to get a homeowners' association to ok your paint colors before painting your house, you can park on the street if you want, etc. As for housing costs, they range from $100k (you could probably find some less than that) up to $1 million+. $100k is not expensive for a house. Not to mention, most houses in Fondren are cheaper than houses in Madison per s.f. The average age on my street is 30-35. I have a 50+ year old neighbor that backs up to my property that likes to listen to classic rock (106.7 FM) while he cleans his boat on the weekends - that's his form of "peace and quiet" I suppose.

It seems your perception of Fondren is a little off, but I must admit that it is hard to peg it down under a brief description. Every street is different, which is why I love it here. No cookie cutters in Fondren! haha (although we do have a pony ).

Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Being that I live in Fondren, I have to respectfully disagree. Fondren is all about freedom of choice, which goes along with artsy communities. You don't have to get a homeowners' association to ok your paint colors before painting your house, you can park on the street if you want, etc. As for housing costs, they range from $100k (you could probably find some less than that) up to $1 million+. $100k is not expensive for a house. Not to mention, most houses in Fondren are cheaper than houses in Madison per s.f. The average age on my street is 30-35. I have a 50+ year old neighbor that backs up to my property that likes to listen to classic rock (106.7 FM) while he cleans his boat on the weekends - that's his form of "peace and quiet" I suppose.
let's be honest here. a $100K home in Fondren will have way less sf than a $100K home in Madison. but the $1 mil homes are comparable because those homes in Fondren are built like tanks with lots of sf. they are earthquake proof if I'm not mistaken..lol

Quote:
It seems your perception of Fondren is a little off, but I must admit that it is hard to peg it down under a brief description. Every street is different, which is why I love it here. No cookie cutters in Fondren! haha (although we do have a pony ).
No, it's not. my grandma lives there and so does a good friend of mine. but you are right, every street and every house is different in Fondren which does add to the value of the homes.

when I was little I mowed Kane Dittos(mothers') yard with some friends of mine. It seemed like an acre back then. we got paid $100 to do it. took all of 3 hours of non-stop cutting and raking. but at least we had money to go to the skating rink that night..

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
let's be honest here. a $100K home in Fondren will have way less sf than a $100K home in Madison.
I am being honest. My mother lives in Madison, her house is similar in size to mine and it was $115/sf in 2005. I bought my house in early 2007 for $95/sf in Fondren.

Average listing price for Madison:
$383,558

Average listing price for Fondren:
$267,768

You get more house for your money in Fondren than in Madison, hands down [not to mention the early century architecture, craft, and quality].

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I am being honest. My mother lives in Madison, her house is similar in size to mine and it was $115/sf in 2005. I bought my house in early 2007 for $95/sf in Fondren.

Average listing price for Madison:
$383,558

Average listing price for Fondren:
$267,768

You get more house for your money in Fondren than in Madison, hands down [not to mention the early century architecture, craft, and quality].
Considering the flight from Jackson to Madison, I can see this breakdown as plausable. but I wonder why people aren't moving to Fondren more than Madison then? I see them for sale all the time in Fondren but in the million dollar range only. I rarely see a house in Fondren for sale less that $400k. those who own $100k homes are not budging. Is there an HOA in Fondren? I don't think so because my grandma doesn't pay into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson