Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 AM

35 posts, read 118,063 times

Advertisements

It takes money to make money... everyone has heard this before and it still stands. Any corporation, business, or entity desiring to make a profit will do the homework neccessary. Businesses in and around Jackson are closing down left and right. Why?

If the opposite were happening and businesses were opening like crazy, no doubt a 6 flags or something similar would work. I used to ride my mountain bike in a big field in Clinton. Worldcom built a building there and BOOM... new businesses were springing up all over Clinton. We all know what happened.

Someone has to be willing to gamble and I don't think see any investors looking toward central Miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm asking you why is there nothing there. You've made it clear that there isn't, so I'm asking you why is it this way.
oh ok..well, my best guess is old money politics and red tape filibusters by the Powers that be who want to make sure Mississippi stays down.

An old elderly man told me once "if they will neglect themselves just to keep you down, they'll do it". the "they" he was referring to was the
'old money' of Mississippi. It's claws are in deep to this very day. It's most likely the main reason nothing's here.

Quote:
Trust me if they are related, they are very distant cousins. Nothing alike, different culture, people are nothing alike, etc. If any city is related to NO it's Houston and that's even before the storm.
not true. It may be more New Orleans people living in Houston to make you think that, but New Orleans is more akin to Jackson is akin Memphis. those 3 cities are mor alike than any southern city combination you can create. could be the close proxy and food likes and cooking styles. just m.o.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHEUS311 View Post
It takes money to make money... everyone has heard this before and it still stands. Any corporation, business, or entity desiring to make a profit will do the homework neccessary. Businesses in and around Jackson are closing down left and right. Why?

If the opposite were happening and businesses were opening like crazy, no doubt a 6 flags or something similar would work. I used to ride my mountain bike in a big field in Clinton. Worldcom built a building there and BOOM... new businesses were springing up all over Clinton. We all know what happened.

Someone has to be willing to gamble and I don't think see any investors looking toward central Miss.
Worldcom was criminal. bad example. and others may have bad business models, who knows, but one business closes, another opens. so goes the cycle.

scared money don't make NO money. anything is worth a shot in Jackson.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
not true. It may be more New Orleans people living in Houston to make you think that, but New Orleans is more akin to Jackson is akin Memphis. those 3 cities are mor alike than any southern city combination you can create. could be the close proxy and food likes and cooking styles. just m.o.
un uh!
You cannot be serious.

Memphis and Jackson yes. New Orleans does not fit anywhere in that equation. Houston has a large creole/cajun background and has always been connected to south Louisiana. Jackson is closer to north Louisiana.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
un uh!
You cannot be serious.

Memphis and Jackson yes. New Orleans does not fit anywhere in that equation. Houston has a large creole/cajun background and has always been connected to south Louisiana. Jackson is closer to north Louisiana.
I am very serious. Just about every Jacksonian I know that can cook, can cook creole/cajun dishes with one spoon tied behind their back. and I'm talking thick New Orleans Jumbalaya and Gumbos with deer sausage and jumbo shrimp in it.

We all really tied together. not far from each other at all.

I take it you haven't run into many creole in Jackson yet?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I am very serious. Just about every Jacksonian I know that can cook, can cook creole/cajun dishes with one spoon tied behind their back. and I'm talking thick New Orleans Jumbalaya and Gumbos with deer sausage and jumbo shrimp in it.

We all really tied together. not far from each other at all.

I take it you haven't run into many creole in Jackson yet?

This is actually funny. I spent a year in Jackson after the hurricane. You can't even find half of the ingredients to make real "New Orleans Style" (I hate that term) food in Jackson. Thick Jambalaya and Deer Gumbo just sound wrong anyway you put that. Most people I encountered in Jackson had no idea what pickle meat was, or maquechoux, or grillades, yaka mein, etc. Red beans Monday, what's that? Jackson is a soul food, BBQ type city and it is good at it. Try to find BBQ or soul food in New Orleans, good luck. Even the things that we both do are done completely different in each city. If any cities in MS were connected to NO it would be Hattiesburg and the Gulf Coast areas and even they have obvious difference.

I wish you and Jackson the best, but you have to be real.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:

This is actually funny. I spent a year in Jackson after the hurricane. You can't even find half of the ingredients to make real "New Orleans Style" (I hate that term) food in Jackson. Thick Jambalaya and Deer Gumbo just sound wrong anyway you put that. Most people I encountered in Jackson had no idea what pickle meat was, or maquechoux, or grillades, yaka mein, etc. Red beans Monday, what's that? Jackson is a soul food, BBQ type city and it is good at it. Try to find BBQ or soul food in New Orleans, good luck. Even the things that we both do are done completely different in each city. If any cities in MS were connected to NO it would be Hattiesburg and the Gulf Coast areas and even they have obvious difference.

I wish you and Jackson the best, but you have to be real.
Well Speaking for myself I have family in New Orleans, Metairire, and Pochatrain area. Baton Rouge too, so I might be speaking from a little bias. and you're right BBQ is big in Jackson but so is Cajun food. We tend not to put the same things in our gumbos as you all do but that's the beauty of Gumbo it's a mixed pot of whatever you like. and since I got hunters in my family we put in the deer sausage in addition to the regular ingredients.

You ever had BBQ backstrap sandwich? better than any burger you ever ate

Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Well Speaking for myself I have family in New Orleans, Metairire, and Pochatrain area. Baton Rouge too, so I might be speaking from a little bias. and you're right BBQ is big in Jackson but so is Cajun food. We tend not to put the same things in our gumbos as you all do but that's the beauty of Gumbo it's a mixed pot of whatever you like. and since I got hunters in my family we put in the deer sausage in addition to the regular ingredients.

You ever had BBQ backstrap sandwich? better than any burger you ever ate
I have always seen Jackson as more like Memphis. Serious question, no harm intended, but if Cajun food is so big in Jackson why aren't there more Cajun restaurants? Why did Copeland's of New Orleans close down? It was in a high traffic area close to the mall.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I have always seen Jackson as more like Memphis. Serious question, no harm intended, but if Cajun food is so big in Jackson why aren't there more Cajun restaurants? Why did Copeland's of New Orleans close down? It was in a high traffic area close to the mall.
...and hopefully his relatives in LA will inform him the nothing about New Orleans has ever been Cajun. NOLA is Creole, a completely different culture from Cajun. Cajuns come from the farthest corner in Louisiana away from Mississippi so to see a large migration of Acadian culture in Central Mississippi is interesting.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
...and hopefully his relatives in LA will inform him the nothing about New Orleans has ever been Cajun. NOLA is Creole, a completely different culture from Cajun. Cajuns come from the farthest corner in Louisiana away from Mississippi so to see a large migration of Acadian culture in Central Mississippi is interesting.
I love creole/cajun food though. I wish more of that type restaurant would come to Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson