Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,477 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of discussion about Jackson and it's future lately, so what do you think is Jackson's "brand" and/or what should it be? For example, New Orleans has Mardi Gras, jazz music, historic districts, etc. What is it that Jackson should promote about itself? If you feel there is nothing substantial, what do you think Jackson should try to create as a "brand?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,145 times
I think Jackson should rally around it's musical heritage, including Gospel, Blues, and R&B. The International Ballet Competition, festivals, food, and civil rights should be heavily marketed as well.

Jackson is pretty diverse in the festivals and exhibits it offers including Celtic, Latino, St. Patricks, Muslim, film, gay and lesbian, etc. and should be marketed as a city with diversity.

I'm sure I missed something, feel free to add to it.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 AM

30 posts, read 101,720 times
Gay and lesbian? In MS? ...are you certain we are talking about the same town?

But, I definitely agree with the sentiment, musical as well as civil rights definitely should/will play a large role in Jackson methinks. Also, I mean, it is a hub city with links to several major cities, so anything that can expand upon and utilize those connections and offer something different.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
Gay and lesbian? In MS? ...are you certain we are talking about the same town?

But, I definitely agree with the sentiment, musical as well as civil rights definitely should/will play a large role in Jackson methinks. Also, I mean, it is a hub city with links to several major cities, so anything that can expand upon and utilize those connections and offer something different.
I'm positive we are talking about the same town. It's called Outoberfest.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Yes, Jackson does have a thriving gay community. There are gay festivals and and at least one gay bar that I know of - I'm not gay myself, but I do have gay friends. If anything, it makes the outsiders more confident that the city is in decay, although it is a false confidence.

I strongly agree on the music and food aspects of Jackson. Just yesterday, I had lunch while listening to the live music of a harmonica and guitar. We already have the Blues Trail that has many markers in Jackson, as well as other parts of the state. I have always considered Jackson to have a great selection of delicious entrees and appetizers, especially considering the size of the city. We have over 500 restaurants to choose from for a population of less than 200k. That's more restaurants per capita than New York City. I never have a problem finding a great lunch or dinner, no matter where I am in the city - it's just choosing one over another that is difficult.

The civil rights era also has a lot of history here in Jackson and Mississippi as a whole. A dedicated museum would not only educate those who visited, but it would also act as a symbol that Mississippi IS moving forward and that we are not stuck in the "old ways."

Maybe we should have a museum of shoes too so that we can get rid the false notion that we don't wear shoes.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM

30 posts, read 101,720 times
So, after some digging and asking some friends I have found out that there are 4 gay bars currently in Jackson... Jack and Jills (new location coming soon), Dick and Janes (206 W Capitol St), Club City Lights (220 W Amite St), and Jack's Construction Site / JC (425 N Mart Plaza).

Of course I'm not certain how reliable that information is so I will try and find out the next time I'm in Jackson. ...hey, as I'm certain that I'm the gay minority on here, I'm willing to make a sacrifice and try to visit a bar to gather information, I'm just that dedicated to ensuring my info is correct.

...and, jacksonian, what do you mean we wear shoes? That's just preposterous, they just get in the way of our enjoying the dirt between our toes, since we don't have concrete or asphalt down here yet. That statistic of the restaurant is amazing, that alone would probably draw in a large crow...hey, everyone loves to eat, as one of my favorite restaurant slogan goes, "Eat or we both starve."

Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
So, after some digging and asking some friends I have found out that there are 4 gay bars currently in Jackson... Jack and Jills (new location coming soon), Dick and Janes (206 W Capitol St), Club City Lights (220 W Amite St), and Jack's Construction Site / JC (425 N Mart Plaza).

Of course I'm not certain how reliable that information is so I will try and find out the next time I'm in Jackson. ...hey, as I'm certain that I'm the gay minority on here, I'm willing to make a sacrifice and try to visit a bar to gather information, I'm just that dedicated to ensuring my info is correct.

...and, jacksonian, what do you mean we wear shoes? That's just preposterous, they just get in the way of our enjoying the dirt between our toes, since we don't have concrete or asphalt down here yet. That statistic of the restaurant is amazing, that alone would probably draw in a large crow...hey, everyone loves to eat, as one of my favorite restaurant slogan goes, "Eat or we both starve."
I can vouch for Dick & Jane's. Also, here is Outoberfest's website:
OUToberfest 2009 - Mississippi's largest, annual LGBT festival for National Coming Out Day.

As for wearing or not wearing shoes, I try to stick to my roots as much as possible. Don't be surprised to see me wearing these around town:

Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
^^ Ugh to those shoes, LOL

I enjoyed my time at 930 Blues club when I went home for the holidays, and it was cool to see a diverse crowd in a city and state contrary to the stereotypes. And was surprised to learn that Jackson has some hipsters, LOL.

Is Seven still open? I heard the owner packed up and left for NYC.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^ Ugh to those shoes, LOL

I enjoyed my time at 930 Blues club when I went home for the holidays, and it was cool to see a diverse crowd in a city and state contrary to the stereotypes. And was surprised to learn that Jackson has some hipsters, LOL.

Is Seven still open? I heard the owner packed up and left for NYC.
I'm not sure about Seven - I've never been there but I have friends that have. Another option for a diverse crowd is F. Jones Corner, located on Farish Street. It's a small venue, but they have live blues almost every night and it's a true late night hot spot, with the music starting up around 11-12 and ending around 4 am.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,107 times
Where I live, the brand revolves around the nearby mountains and the river & falls that divide Downtown & the West End. It's a stylized lower-case "g" that appears on all signage, city vehicles, trash cans, etc. Here's an example: Greenville, South Carolina Home Page I believe they commissioned an ad or PR agency to come up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson