U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM

11 posts, read 28,989 times

Advertisements

Thx for all your input . . .I def. think we will end up in Madison (or Fondren) if "Jackson" is where we end up moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,271 times
I have to ask his question and not to bring defense upon anyone, but I have noticed that the minority (African American) rate is quite the minimum when it comes to the majority (Caucasians) and wanted to know if racism is a major issue in this city. Racism is every where, but should I move to MISSISSIPPI I want to my children and myself to be as far away from such ignorance as possible. This is far away from our home of Alabama, family and friends. I am a single parent and want the best for my two children.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 978,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchatman View Post
I have to ask his question and not to bring defense upon anyone, but I have noticed that the minority (African American) rate is quite the minimum when it comes to the majority (Caucasians) and wanted to know if racism is a major issue in this city. Racism is every where, but should I move to MISSISSIPPI I want to my children and myself to be as far away from such ignorance as possible. This is far away from our home of Alabama, family and friends. I am a single parent and want the best for my two children.
Are you telling me that if I (a white male) wouldn't have any racism directed at me if I moved my family to the mostly black Jackson?
Racism will be found everywhere and Alabama is no different. If you want your kinds to go to the best schools then you'll move to Madison. If you want diversity AND poor schools then enjoy living in Jackson.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,529,124 times
GJ, you might want to look at Ridgeland, which is next door to Madison. The schools are more diverse than Madison and have a very good reputation. Ridgeland has some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Mississippi and nicest shopping, but it's also got a lot of apartment complexes and residential areas with homes of all sizes, although mostly built in the last 30 years. You might also want to consider the city of Clinton, which also has schools that are both very highly rated and diverse. This is very safe and has a college in town. Another option would be the city of Pearl, which has a reputation for being blue collar and recently has been growing rapidly. Its schools have been well rated and very diverse as well. Or you could consider the city of Brandon, which is a hot growth area within the metro area. Or you could check out Gluckstadt, to the north of Madison, which is probably the hottest growth area in the metro and schools slightly more diverse than Madison. You can check the data on these schools at schooldigger.com.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 AM

3,157 posts, read 4,026,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchatman View Post
Actually, I think you should look up the words 'Racism' and 'Ignorance'. Very carefully study their definitions, and compare. Racism may or may not result from Ignorance. The two terms are not synonyms. And one is not necessarily the result of, or a subset of, the other.

In any event, Madison is quite diverse. There are plenty of UPPER MIDDLE CLASS people there, of all races and religions. CLASSism, however, is rampant there. Pieces of scum are NOT welcome in Madison, and will be very unhappy there.

If you dress well, have a car that will fit in there (Escalades, Camaros, Mustangs, tricked-out trucks, boom cars, "performance mufflers", Chryslers, "riced" cars... will get you SHUNNED) (factory-spec only, and NO after-market window tinting), don't make noise, don't have Pitt Bulls - and just basically do act like a third-generation college grad with an IQ over 120, then you will fit in. Otherwise, you will be absolutely miserable, and will move away, rather quickly.

Oh, and colored lights at Christmas are considered tacky in all the better neighborhoods in the Jackson Metro. Again, having them will result in major points being deducted from your social standing. Landscaping is very important in Madison. If a person starts cutting down trees, then he can expect to have Code Enforcement called by the neighbors. If a person cuts down the shrubbery around the house, he can expect both Code Enforcement sanctions and cold treatment by the neighbors. It is rumored powerful property owners have arranged for the disappearance of bush-whackers whose destruction of shrubbery has lowered property values. And Crape Murder is considered the absolute social Kiss of Death https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-...54367104600280. Crape Murderers are Untouchables in Madison (and, to a lesser degree, in any place where decent people live).

Speed limits are observed in Madison. Turning signals are not optional. Noisy vehicles are reported. criminal-looking "Magnum"-type cars in parking lots get their VIN Numbers photographed by private citizens, to be checked against lists of stolen vehicles. Tag numbers on sleazy-looking cars are written down, to be run (again, by private citizens - usually retired military or law enforcement) against lists of stolen vehicles, or to see if the owners have outstanding warrants.

People have been arrested for using profanity in Madison. And when a "Laser Center" put up a billboard on the Interstate running through town, showing a woman in a bikini, public outcry caused it to be taken down.

People move there, because they are fed-up with conditions elsewhere. They do not tolerate misbehavior. They report bad behavior to the Police. People with bad kids very quickly realize they shouldn't have moved to Madison - particularly considering that the same kids would not have been arrested over and over in Jackson. Plenty of rich, lily-white alcoholic "socialites" move to Madison from Jackson. When their spoiled brats get arrested a time or two, they move back to Jackson, where they belong. Jackson is a place where drunken socialites and their little mistakes can zoom around town at double the speed limit, without repercussions (until they kill somebody: Stuart Irby In Wreck - YouTube )

If your kids are gentle, polite, quiet, and studious, they will be accepted and happy in Madison. If they are loud, aggressive, disruptive, and bad students, then things will not go well for them at all. This holds true for all races.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Grandviewgloria,
You really talk too much. I usually don't mind if a person has something interesting to say. But you don't fit that category.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,025,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Grandviewgloria,
You really talk too much. I usually don't mind if a person has something interesting to say. But you don't fit that category.
Usually posters with only 2 posts are awestruck by GG's verbiage. I gave you rep points for not being suckered into her mess.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
People have been arrested for using profanity in Madison.
Are you drunk?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 PM

3,157 posts, read 4,026,246 times
Quote:
Grandviewgloria,
Well bless your heart! Aren't you just the most special person I've encountered all day?! I can tell your family members love seeing your car pulling into their driveways (and never hide behind the kitchen counter, pretending they don't hear the doorbell), and your parents were delighted to see the wonderful person you grew up to be - and were proud they brought you into the world.

And I'm sure your new neighbors in Madison feel so lucky to have you living on their street. Yes indeedy! And I'm sure your old neighbors were so sorry to see you go.

You know, living here in Oregon, I don't get special evaluations like the one you're offering here. That's one of the things a person who missed Mississippi would miss most about Mississippi. People like you, dearest Angel Wing!

You know, our Daughter was, just the other day, lamenting the fact that we don't know any people, here in Lake O' who are helpful in the way you're helping. Maybe that's why nobody ever takes us aside, to share special insight with us, like they so frequently did in Mississippi. So many special individuals sharing special wisdom they'd gained in their struggles against... ...well, whatever it was they were struggling against: poverty, poverty of the Spirit, shopping addiction, Hornets-in-the-Brain, family dysfunction, ancestry from the least brilliant of Great Britain's traditional subgroups (hint: IQ93), religious hysteria, being born Redneck, having been dragged to too many revivals at too young an age, growing up in a home without a Warming Oven in the kitchen, growing up in a home without a Children's Den, not being able to afford a home with a Dedicated Master Suite, having to pledge Kappa Delta because Delta Delta Delta was not interested, having to keep on driving that Taurus because one's credit wasn't good enough for even a 3-series BMW (that would have to be the cruelest cut of them all, and I do empathize) so many humiliations which can give a person character and make them Leaders of Men.

We just don't have people like that in our lives, anymore, and it could be something to be homesick about, if I ever needed to be. No... our neighbors are too busy putzing around with their patents, and their business acquisitions, and their interests, and their trips abroad, to take the time to make a difference, like you're doing. They lack a certain something which you clearly have in abundance. And that's why it truly matters to me, what you think.

Thank you for sharing!

And now, if I may - two inspirational Mississippians with Leadership Ability, from whom I have recently learned so much (only one of them is in Madison, though - although, with the recent home invasion at the Country Club of Jackson, it's only a matter of time, I'm sure, until the other one moves there.):
Jackson Jambalaya: "Do you know you have Mrs. World in the car?"
and...
"Death of a BoyToy" @All Rights Reserved William B Wasser - a set on Flickr (pay special attention to certain details in that chest shot)

You know, sometimes, when I'm alone in an hotel room, in Shanghai or Kiev, thinking I may have strayed too far from the world I once knew, I have to remind myself that it wasn't for nothing. People like this provide endless reassurance, in my hours of darkest doubt, that I am on the right track.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,739,125 times
Quote:
Are you drunk?

LOL. I actually knew someone in college who was arrested for public profanity in Raymond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson