U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Madison, MS
1,031 posts, read 978,507 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

Do everyone a favor and go annoy people in the Oregon forums. Nobody cares about your links and long winded pointless rambles.

I thought this forum was about Madison MS.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,244 posts, read 1,392,353 times
Reputation: 1678
Before we moved to Arkansas, we looked around at some other places. I have to say that I rather enjoy reading GG's postings. I bet she is a helluva fun person to drink with.

I am not from Mississippi (Texas, by God). But I have to say that there is a marked difference between Mississippi and Arkansas, at least the part of Arkansas we landed in. I laugh at Gloria's posts because it fleshes out for me some of what I describe as a "bunker mentality" that upper-class people in Mississippi seem to have in spades. We considered jobs in Oxford and in metro Jackson before deciding to make Fayetteville our new home away from Austin and we felt that Mississippi "felt different" than what we were comfortable with.

I suppose you could say similar things about places in Texas. Highland Park, for example. But that is a city in which you cannot own a home for less than $1 million, in what is otherwise one of the most affordable metropolitan areas in the nation. Its also surrounded by the city of Dallas.

But even in Oxford, which is a nice town, but rather humble in comparison to most places, we felt that people were deeply committed to "preservation" of classism, to an almost absurd degree.

There seemed to be nothing relaxing about life in Mississippi, which was disappointing because we had in our minds a certain "down home, relaxed, southern charm" idea that we obviously picked up from reading too many brochures.

I also never felt that "positive vibe" that I get in places like Portland, Austin, Boulder, etc. It all just seemed very self-conscious and forced, and that there was a pervasive mentality of "placing" people into their deserved socioeconomic categories.

What is that all about? We live in Fayetteville now, which we realize is not the "Deep South" by any stretch, but its a very egalitarian, community-minded place, which honestly, reminds us so much of a "smaller Austin" in many ways. Geographically, its not that far away from Mississippi, but culturally it seems like a different world altogether.

I must admit I am fascinated by Mississippi for some strange reason. But Gloria touches on some realities that I think I would find altogether exhausting after a short while.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,892 posts, read 3,025,575 times
Reputation: 2428
To Rock Climber, you can find classify, elitist jerks anywhere in the country. Mississippi has not cornered the market on boors. If you choose to surround yourself with those types, no matter where you live you will not be happy. Choose your friends and acquaintances wisely, and you will find that you are not confronted by nonsense.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Madison, MS
1,031 posts, read 978,507 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
To Rock Climber, you can find classify, elitist jerks anywhere in the country. Mississippi has not cornered the market on boors. If you choose to surround yourself with those types, no matter where you live you will not be happy. Choose your friends and acquaintances wisely, and you will find that you are not confronted by nonsense.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

Exactly. For people to assume otherwise is idiotic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
772 posts, read 758,605 times
Reputation: 240
I'd just like to add something, I love how everyone says Ridgeland has some of the best schools ... Might've been true when I was attending them, but I don't think it really holds up anymore. Highland Elementary (Grades 3-5) received a D on the academic accountability report card for the 2012-2013 school year. Ridgeland High School is a C for the second year in a row after being an A for 9 years, with a huge influx of fights last year. I know people that go to Ridgeland High and some of them call each JPS. Oh, and also with Ridgeland High being a C, Murrah High is also a C. So essentially, if you were to attend Murrah in Jackson, you'd be getting the EXACT same education that you would receive at Ridgeland High. Which is good! Murrah High is one of the 2 high schools that I like in Jackson, the other being Forest Hill.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,157 posts, read 4,026,246 times
Reputation: 11197
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Do everyone a favor and go annoy people in the Oregon forums.
You mean like this?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/21329346-post16.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Madison, MS
1,031 posts, read 978,507 times
Reputation: 425
Congratulations. You posted a message in 2011. You deserve a cookie.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,157 posts, read 4,026,246 times
Reputation: 11197
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Congratulations. You posted a message in 2011. You deserve a cookie.
You really are a cheerful bunnyrabbit, aren't you?

Anyway, I was rather proud of that post. Illustrates quite well, how I deal with crazy people - the harmless ones, at least...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,246 posts, read 1,739,125 times
Reputation: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I'd just like to add something, I love how everyone says Ridgeland has some of the best schools ... Might've been true when I was attending them, but I don't think it really holds up anymore. Highland Elementary (Grades 3-5) received a D on the academic accountability report card for the 2012-2013 school year. Ridgeland High School is a C for the second year in a row after being an A for 9 years, with a huge influx of fights last year. I know people that go to Ridgeland High and some of them call each JPS. Oh, and also with Ridgeland High being a C, Murrah High is also a C. So essentially, if you were to attend Murrah in Jackson, you'd be getting the EXACT same education that you would receive at Ridgeland High. Which is good! Murrah High is one of the 2 high schools that I like in Jackson, the other being Forest Hill.
I thought it was already obvious to everyone that Ridgeland is in decline because of the riff raff from Jackson spreading north. This thread is about Madison, not Ridgeland. There is a difference.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 AM
 
46 posts, read 7,201 times
Reputation: 56
I'm glad this thread exists. I have a job interview in Madison and will be flying out next week. It sounds like Madison is a really great place and pictures on the Internet pretty much confirm that. It appears to be beautiful there. I'm going to catch up on the rest of this thread!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top