U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,394 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jackson to work at UMMC starting in July. I am new to the Jackson area, never having living in Mississippi before. I have been contemplating living in the downtown area, as I have found several buildings, such as King Edwards, etc to be of interest. However, I would like to know how safe it is for a female to be living on her own in the downtown area, and whether the risk of crime would be too great. I am looking for a nice apt to rent. If it would not be advisable to live in the downtown areas, what would be a safe and nice place to rent from? I am interested in an apartment building with hardwood floors and that is newer or newly renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,499,277 times
I am told that downtown is very safe. There are symphony performances, art museum activities, churches, etc. Downtown living in Jackson is relatively new. The Plaza building, Electric 308, and King Edward are new, with the King Edward being brand new. Near downtown are the Belhaven and Fondren communities which are very popular and relatively safe but not literally crime free.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,842 times
I know several women who live Downtown, some alone and some with other roommates. I would recommend the Plaza Building, Electric 308, Tombigbee Lofts, and the King Edward. There is also a new building that is nearing completion - I have always referred to it as the Dickie's Building, but I'm not sure what the name will be once it's opened. Another option on the south side of Downtown is the Foundry Lofts. A few blocks north of Downtown on State Street is City View apartments which are brand new. A few miles north of Downtown is Fondren, which has a 4 story mixed use building called Fondren Corner with nice apartments and within walking distance of UMC. The Standard Life building is currently under renovation, but it will not be move-in ready by July. I think that it will have some of the best rentals available once it is completed though.

As for things to do, the options are increasingly growing due to the large flux of Downtown residences. There are several Downtown bars and some great dining venues for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are several groups/events that occur every month, whether it be young professionals meeting for networking and socializing or people who have common interests meeting to discuss and mingle. Thalia Mara Hall and New Stage Theater both have plays/musicals throughout the year, and I encourage you to browse through their calendars to see what is coming in the future. There are a number of outdoor events that occur Downtown, including St. Paddy's Day Parade in March which is one of the largest St. Patrick's parades in the nation. Another event is Jubilee Jam which hosts bands and musicians for two days, usually in June. The Miller Lite Crawfish Boil is another concert series that takes place in May and is located at the fairgrounds on the east side of Downtown, which is also the venue for the Mississippi State Fair which comes to town in September/October.

Last edited by jacksonian; 02-14-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM

96 posts, read 296,913 times
Downtown living in Jackson is still in its infancy, and I would not recommend it right now for someone just moving to the area. It is not a pedestrian area, i.e, no neighborhood grocery store, pharmacy, movie theater, etc. I would recommend the Belhaven area for the type of living environment you described. There are many apartment that I believe would meet your specifications, and the area is truly a "neighborhood" with lots of amenities and conveniences that downtown just does not provide at this time. Welcome to Jackson.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn3000 View Post
Downtown living in Jackson is still in its infancy, and I would not recommend it right now for someone just moving to the area. It is not a pedestrian area, i.e, no neighborhood grocery store, pharmacy, movie theater, etc. I would recommend the Belhaven area for the type of living environment you described. There are many apartment that I believe would meet your specifications, and the area is truly a "neighborhood" with lots of amenities and conveniences that downtown just does not provide at this time. Welcome to Jackson.
Downtown living has existed for over a decade now - albeit, it hasn't been cast a light upon until the larger projects began like Electric 308, the Plaza Building, etc.

As for pedestrian areas, Downtown is the most pedestrian area in all of central Mississippi, and it's continuing to improve every year. A market and health clinic are opening up on Capitol Street directly across from the King Edward next year. There are already a ton of restaurants to choose from Downtown, some are even open at 6 am for breakfast. Thalia Mara Hall, the Convention Center, the Mississippi Museum of Art, Hal & Mal's, and other venues are within a half-mile radius.

Don't get me wrong, Belhaven is a great neighborhood with great people, and Fondren has a special character with great walkability, but neither area has the amenities that Downtown already offers. It's much easier to get a market, pharmacy, or restaurant to move in than a museum or concert hall.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM

96 posts, read 296,913 times
where are the ton of restaurants downtown? admittedly, there are a few, but let's not paint a picture of jackson being some hotbed of urban living.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn3000 View Post
where are the ton of restaurants downtown? admittedly, there are a few, but let's not paint a picture of jackson being some hotbed of urban living.
Basil's
Keifer's
Steve's
Taste of the Carribean
Wired Cafe
Miller's Grill
Miller's Cafe
Lamar Restaurant
Tony's Hot Tamales
Elite Restaurant
Mayflower Cafe
Peaches
F. Jones Corner
King Edward Restaurant
Two Sisters
Ole Tavern
Old Capitol Inn Restaurant
Hal & Mal's
Beatty's
Sugar's Place
Mansell's
Congress St Bar & Grill
Subway
McAllister's
Chikfila

That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head - I'm sure I've left out several more.

Not to come off as arrogant, but that seems more than just a "few." And the number is not as important to me as the density - all of the ones listed above can easily be accessed by walking (walking on sidewalks that have crosswalks at intersections where cars actually yield to pedestrians, which is a rare thing in Mississippi). I'm not claiming that Downtown is some sort of mecca for urban living, but it's the closest thing to it in Mississippi. To me, that's something worth caring about.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 17,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtojackson View Post
I am moving to Jackson to work at UMMC starting in July. I am new to the Jackson area, never having living in Mississippi before. I have been contemplating living in the downtown area, as I have found several buildings, such as King Edwards, etc to be of interest. However, I would like to know how safe it is for a female to be living on her own in the downtown area, and whether the risk of crime would be too great. I am looking for a nice apt to rent. If it would not be advisable to live in the downtown areas, what would be a safe and nice place to rent from? I am interested in an apartment building with hardwood floors and that is newer or newly renovated.
First off, welcome to the area! My wife and I considered moving downtime when we moved last summer but our dogs made us reconsider. From the research we did, downtime apartments seemed nice, although a bit over priced. Although not currently a hopping urban environment, downtown Jackson does seem to be progressing in that direction.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM

128 posts, read 254,491 times
Downtown is OK. There are a decent number of restaurants. At least until a few years ago, many of them are just open for lunch and things pretty much close up at nighttime with the exception of a few bars. It doesn't seem very walkable to me, but perhaps that's because I've lived in big cities that are very walkable.

If you've lived in a big city before and are pretty street smart it will probably be fine in terms of safety. If you're from more of a rural or small city environment I'd reccommend against living in downtown. Belhaven is pretty, crime is still a bit of a problem. Lakeland/ Pearl area is close by and less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or