Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM

123 posts, read 326,661 times

Advertisements

My wife will be in Jackson Mississippi on business the end of January for a few weeks. Can you suggest some things for her to do or see when she has some time off (restaurants, shopping, sites, etc....) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
I haven't been to Jackson in years.... Are there still any restaurants on the reservoir?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,093,452 times
For shopping in Jackson, the newest and latest is the fancy Renaissance in Ridgeland, and up the road is the charming Township which includes a Viking cooking school. Also, Ridgeland's old Jackson Street district is brand new. In Flowood out Lakeland Drive, there is brand-new big box shopping galore.

In town is Banner Hall with beautiful Lemuria bookstore and Broad Street Baking Company. Also there is still beautiful Highland Village. And there is Fondren, with two of Jackson's best restaurants, Nick's and Walker's.

Downtown has several new places: the brand new, gorgeous King Edward hotel for drinks, now a Hilton Garden, the new jazz place on Congress Street near the Governor's Mansion, the brand new Mississippi Museum of Art, gorgeous and brand new Old Capitol Museum and new Mississippi Historical Museum (if it's open yet).

Other points of interest include the brand new Mississippi Crafts Center on Rice Rd at the Natchez Trace and the new Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. Just by the Crafts Center is a wonderful new walking path that runs along the Natchez Trace and the Barnett Reservoir. And yes, there is a new restaurant right on the water with a big outside deck, walking distance from the Crafts Center, that boats can pull up to etc but I can't recall the name.

She should drive through the brand new community of Lost Rabbit, an exquisite new neighborbood in Madison overlooking the reservoir, designed to look like a historic small town. Another great walking area is the Belhaven neighborhood, immediately around Belhaven College, one of Jackson's most beautiful neighborhoods. If she enjoys driving through new neighborhood developments, she might enjoy driving through Reunion in Madison and if she can get past the gates the Bridgewater neighborhood in Ridgeland which has huge new homes. Two other gorgeous older neighborhoods to drive through are Eastover and Woodland Hills.

She should also take side trips to historic Natchez and Vicksburg, buzzing Oxford in north Mississippi, and charming Ocean Springs on the Coast.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,140 times
brickpatio did a good job - thanks for saving me the time!

Also, I recommend you check out the Best of Jackson list from last year. It is a voter-generated list of the best things that Jackson has to offer, from shopping and restaurants to the "best place to see the sunrise." You can find it here:
Best of Jackson

Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM

64 posts, read 236,020 times
Try some of the old stand bys also for good food. Downtown has some great eateries, The Elite, Mayflower, Tye's

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
Is Nick's the great place that used to be in the bottom floor of an office building on Lakeland Dr? Took my parents to that place once years ago, and we all had a lovely time.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Is Nick's the great place that used to be in the bottom floor of an office building on Lakeland Dr? Took my parents to that place once years ago, and we all had a lovely time.
Yes, it has since moved to Fondren on Old Canton Road. It's a similar setup - bottom floor of multi-story building. It's next to the Trustmark Bank and just across the road from Quizno's.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 AM

123 posts, read 326,661 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for you input! I'm sure it will be very helpful to my wife!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
how much wud a train ticket cost from Stl To Jackson

Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labertha View Post
how much wud a train ticket cost from Stl To Jackson
Go to Amtrak's website and you can see how much it would cost. I know that a ticket to New Orleans is $22 one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson