U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,685,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
I am from Memphis and lived in Jackson, Mississippi for a period of time and actually liked it there, and wouldn't have minded to have found a girl there and live in some house in Madison or Ridgeland or where ever.

Saying that, Jackson just lacks something, and it is hard to put a finger on it. It's just not a cosmopolitan type of place. It's not a "party" kind of place like even Memphis would be. There is good eating, good shopping, plenty of churches and whatever, I don't know, you know?

I will say that the Ross Barnett Resovior and the Natchez Trace are very pretty places. Somebody mentioned gambling, and Vicksburg is only 45 minutes away. Vicksburg is a place that needs a revitalization. It could be a pretty community and it just isn't.

Jackson's not a bad town. It's just not the land of excitement. Like Mississippi itself.
This pretty much sums it up (with only a few small alterations) for me. I lived in Jackson twice, and thought it was "almost there", but fell just slightly short in a few areas. I hate to see that the "nice" retail keeps moving further and further out. Hopefully, the Fondren and Woodland Hills areas (along with the Belhaven area) will make a strong showing and bring people back to the city's core. Also, the one thing that kept bringing itself abruptly to my attention was the awful condition of city streets. Don't know if "Yazoo Clay" is entirely to blame, but that was really astonishing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM

579 posts, read 1,165,288 times
Here is a link from Clarion Ledger regarding the first phase of construction on Farish Street. I cannot wait until this revitalization is in place.

Farish Street work beginning to take shape | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

With Farish Street underway as well as the Old Captial Green project, I hope we can establish a Memphis/New Orleans vibe here. I was downtown yesterday for the parade and it felt like Mardi Gras all over again without masks on lol. I really want the best for my city on the smaller level were trying to achieve.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 AM

210 posts, read 341,274 times
http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/inde...r_king_edward/

New businesses near the King Edward. I'm honestly conflicted about the businesses. I'm not conflicted about businesses being near the King Edward, who would be, but I don't know if I want them to be locally owned or national chains. On the one hand, it would be nice to see something new and different, but on the other hand, Jackson is lacking in chains, and it would be nice to see Jackson proper attract them. I want Jackson and downtown to have a mixture of both, so I'm hoping Watkins and Goree are at least working on retail new to the area. I would still like a Friday's in Jackson, but I'm sure Goree and Watkins want something a little more high end for the King Edward. I remember a rumor that the New Orleans restaurant Drago's was going to locate in the King Edward, and I think that could be a wonderful addition.

As for the clothing store, it would be nice to have a chain solely because they seem to be able to attract more people. Again, a chain new to the area. I wouldn't mind an Urban Outfitters, but I don't think that's a little young for the image their trying to convey with the King Edward.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 AM

165 posts, read 513,301 times
Change the name of Roach St. I mean, would you like your street to be called roach? A roach is either a dirty waterbug or the end of a marijuana cigarette.

I do applaud the opening of the King Edward, that place was an eyesore

I used to work at Books-A-Million on I-55 Frontage Road. The place was crap to work for the book selection there was absolutely wonderful. There was another independetly owned shop across the highway a few miles down (forgot the name, moved away in 2000, now live in China.)

I liked County Line Road, the mall and the numerous restaurants and retail outlets there. There was (and hopefully is) a great Tex-Mex place in the parking lot of the Wal Mart. There were many rednecks there.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 PM

783 posts, read 1,882,265 times
It's an ok tex mex place. We've eaten there a few times. Honestly I'm no longer big on mexican places because I think I make it better myself, but the pork I had was very good. They do seem a bit too tolerant of drunks there, so be warned if you should decide to eat outside - choose your seating carefully.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,350 times
Alot of different things. But first and foremost, I'd LOVE to see more big name concerts/events. I'm a HUGE concert goer and I live in Brookhaven, which there is absolutely nothing to do here so why not come to Jackson? I know about the Fire Club and such but I'd love to see more big names in the coliseum and what not. It gets tiring driving to Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Memphis and so on to see a good concert.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM

145 posts, read 553,083 times
Here's my list:

1. A Dave & Buster's
2. Macy's & Nordstrom
3. Chipotle Restaurants
4. Good Chinese takeout
5. For the MS Alcohol bureau to stop controlling which wine & spirits brands can sell in MS (what, no Texas wines?)
6. Good breakfast tacos
7. More Starbucks or Seattle's Best or other gourmet coffee locations with drive-thru's (I don't have time for Cups)
8. Local evening news reporters who aren't so lazy that they only report the murders that come across the police blotter
9. Specialty lingerie store (mastectomy bras, extended sizes, high-end European brands, etc.)
10. A dog park!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM

210 posts, read 341,274 times
I think Dave and Buster's would be perfect for the Old Capital Green project or the Farish Street Entertainment project. It makes too much sense to not happen.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:39 PM

145 posts, read 553,083 times
Part of the problem with those locations is the parking situation. On the D&B website, there's a section where people can propose locations, however it gives guidelines regarding square footage, market demographics, and parking space. I'm not that familiar with those areas, but I don't think there's enough parking space downtown to support. I do, however, think that there's plenty of vacant retail space from defunct companies to house it. I'm thinking of the old Circuit City on County Line or Brookshires on Ridgewood.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,886,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
Part of the problem with those locations is the parking situation. On the D&B website, there's a section where people can propose locations, however it gives guidelines regarding square footage, market demographics, and parking space. I'm not that familiar with those areas, but I don't think there's enough parking space downtown to support. I do, however, think that there's plenty of vacant retail space from defunct companies to house it. I'm thinking of the old Circuit City on County Line or Brookshires on Ridgewood.
Parking Garage.. there's more than enough surface parking in Jackson as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson