Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM

30 posts, read 77,676 times

Advertisements

My husband needs to relocate in order to keep his job. We thought he was going to be sent to Baton Rouge, LA so I had done research on the surrounding areas and was all set in my mind for that move. The call came in today that he was offered Clinton, MS. He has less than two days to make a decision. We can't even go there to see what it is like. I am trying to do research and I don't want to do repetitive questions on here, but I don't have much time, so I apologize if these questions have already been answered.

The website for Clinton looks great. Is it really that good? I have read some on the crime in Jackson which is only 7 miles away...does it effect Clinton? How are the public schools? I have a child with cerebral palsy and I want to make sure that his is included with the typical classes and not ostracized. I see that Clinton has some sports programs for challenged children so I am hoping that means they are more progressive in this area??? Also, how about cost of living. Are there any bad areas of Clinton or areas to stay away from when looking for houses (we want to stay in the less than $150k range in the best possible area elementary school wise)? Lastly, is there anything to do? It looks like a sleepy little town with not a lot of action, which is fine with me, but are there zoos or kids museums close by?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM

64 posts, read 237,277 times
Clinton is a suburb of Jackson located on I20 West. Great little town, has MC College in the center of town. Several subdivisions in the area in the price range you are looking for. As for crime, I wouldn't think you are going to see anyting like you would in Jackson. I have several friends that live thaere that all enjoy it. They have lots of sports programs for kids, public school system is above average.
As for other activities, you are clsoe to the Jackson Zoo which is OK. And there is always something going on within a 20 mile radisu which covers Madison, Ranking and Hinds county.
If you decide to move and need a good realtor, I have several that I work with that specialize in Clinton that can help you.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

190 posts, read 692,576 times
I don't live in Clinton, but everything I can tell from passing through there it seems like a nice town.

Wish I had more info to provide, but I'm sure someone will come along and help you out more. The link below is a good website to search for houses on in the metro area. It will let you sort by town and price. Maybe that will give you some idea of what you are looking at in that price range. Hope it helps and good luck.

HomeSearch.JacksonRealtor.com

Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
I lived in Clinton during my teenage years and attended Sumner Hill and Clinton High School. The public schools are very good in Clinton - they are disciplined and have good teachers. Most of the town's extracurricular activities revolve around sports, mainly soccer and baseball/softball. They are also getting a brand new library that will be far superior to most municipal libraries in the state. I'm not sure how the home prices are as I have never looked there, but you should be able to find a decent house for $150k. I have a friend who bought a house in one of the small neighborhoods off Pinehaven - it's a nice area with close proximity to the schools.

As for progressiveness, this is Mississippi and the norm here is conservative - however, Jackson is probably the most progressive city in the state [but it's still in Mississippi, so may not be as progressive as you might think]. Jackson does have a zoo which is not too far from Clinton, and there are several museums in Jackson as well, including the Natural Science Museum, the Mississippi Agriculture & Forestry Museum and the Mississippi Museum of Art. Also, the Mississippi Children's Museum is under construction as we speak. Another area of interest is the Ross Barnett Reservoir, which is a large public reservoir lake located northeast of Jackson in Madison/Rankin counties and has parks on both sides that include pavilions, disc golf, boat ramps, etc. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a 444 mile road that commemorates an ancient trail used by animals and people that connected southern portions of the Mississippi River, through Alabama, to salt licks in today's central Tennessee - connects Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN and intersects Clinton. You can catch a game at Trustmark Park and watch the Mississippi Braves minor league baseball team in their fairly new stadium just east of Jackson off I-20 in Pearl next to the Bass Pro Shops - always fun for the whole family.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Thank you so much for all of the great information!! I am really beginning to warm up to this move. I am coming from a suburb of Jacksonville, FL so it will probably be a change, but a welcome one.

Jacksonian...please don't think I was talking down to Mississipi by asking if Clinton was progressive. My main concern is my son who is physically disabled and some of the smaller towns I have researched do not have the resources or still choose to keep disabled children separated from the general education population. He is really my priority and I am nervous that he won't be accepted.

Again, thank you all for taking your time to help calm my fears.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebrink View Post
Thank you so much for all of the great information!! I am really beginning to warm up to this move. I am coming from a suburb of Jacksonville, FL so it will probably be a change, but a welcome one.

Jacksonian...please don't think I was talking down to Mississipi by asking if Clinton was progressive. My main concern is my son who is physically disabled and some of the smaller towns I have researched do not have the resources or still choose to keep disabled children separated from the general education population. He is really my priority and I am nervous that he won't be accepted.

Again, thank you all for taking your time to help calm my fears.
I didn't think you were talking down to Mississippi, and I think that Clinton will have many of the resources that you're concerned about - if not, Clinton is part of the Jackson metro which has over half a million people, so the resources that are short in supply in Clinton should be accessible in other parts of the metro. Good luck on your move if you decide to come here.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
For a nice safe area with houses around $150k, Clinton is certainly a fine choice. Also, Brandon is a very good town and does have the advantage being in the direction of growth for the Jackson metro area. The Reservoir area in Rankin County is also very nice. Even Madison, considered perhaps a step up financially, has homes in the $150k range as does Ridgeland. These are all good choices.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times
I live at the Jackson/Clinton area now and I love this town. Their top priority is Education. You will not find all the fine dining and shopping liek Flowood or Ridgeland however if you want a nice family living ..... Clinton has much to offer. Not saying Flowood or Ridgeland doesn't but in Clinton you will see less traffic and more friendly people.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
I'd suggest staying clear of Flowood, Pearl, Brandon simply because of the traffic situation. Highway 25 business route sucks! the I-20 stack is complete but I don't think it solved any problems.

Clinton is a fine choice. It is indeed a seemingly sleepy town that's home to a Baptist college.

If you go to Jackson proper, clear out everything in your car. Leave no items in there whether these are visible or not. Jackson has extreme poverty and few opportunities in the forms of jobs, thus the crime situation is rather bad (mostly vagrants supporting a habit). Criminals will break into your car for just spare change (sure Jacksonville has similar problems with this) or cd's or those Garman devices. Be aware of this even if you're parking in a garage. These are not any safer than parking on the streets.

I'd also suggest steering clear of the Jackson zoo because it's always had some serious problems. The other attractions mentioned here are nice, esp. the natural science museum.

Ridgeland/Madison has some good restaurants. Not sure about Clinton because liquor is outlawed there, or was when I lived there, and fancy restaurants don't want to set up there. Same deal with Brandon/Flowood/Pearl. Jackson has a good restaurant or two in the Fondren area or midtown Jackson. Fondren's a nice area, but it's Jackson.

Mississippi is very conservative. You'll love it if you like church and church activities. There's a megachurch in Clinton that was instrumental in relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina--they probably did more than Haley Barbour (who just gave speeches and said "suck it, Louisiana"). You'll like it if you like sports, mostly football and soccer, and if you like hunting. But there's also sushi and yoga and Unitarian Universalists and book clubs if you're into that too, just don't tell anyone about it.

You will find a nice house to live in in Clinton, I'm sure.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks to everyone!! My husband has accepted the position so now we have to get him moved. At the last minute the company told him he could work in Madison if he would rather, but we have grown fond of Clinton based on our research and felt it was much better for what we were seeking. And they have nice sports programs for my son who is disabled. I will be staying back until the house sells, which could take a while, but I can't wait to get out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson