U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,959,583 times

Advertisements

WLBT news link

The Standard Life Development is shaping up nicely. As an update, I am pleased to report the following:

The "rehab" is on target to finish by Sept 1st. The project will contain 76 apartments, and has an "I am interested" list of 153 prospects. David Watkins, the developer,is relatively certain that it will be completely leased the day it opens.

The "orange" web work at the top of the building is there to protect workers as they work on all of the mechanical workings of the building (HVAC, elevators, electrical and the like). The one story buildings (6 of them) immediately north (on Roach Street) and connected to the large building will house 12 of the project's apartments.

If interested in leasing one of these apartments, please contact ballen@downtown-jackson.com and he will forward your inquiry to the appropriate people.

This is really remarkable, and very exciting to see unfold. Grab a hold to the rope and hang on, because Downtown Jackson is on the move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM

$185 million of development is centered around one block in Downtown Jackson. The apartments at the new King Edward Hotel are all leased Thursday. People who couldn't get in will try their luck around the corner at the 21-story Standard Life building on Roach Street.

Developer David Watkins said 76 one- and two-bedroom apartments inside should be ready for move-in by September 1st.

"We have a waiting list of 153 people. That will shake out to 50 percent, which means they will be full," Watkins said. "We will have 130-140 families living in this one block within one year. We got 75 percent that have moved from Madison and Rankin Counties, people who work in downtown or nearby, don't like the commute [from the suburbs], some just like an urban lifestyle."

Across from the King Edward, asbestos has been removed from two of the buildings in the old strip center in preparation for a makeover. With the exception of the Lott Furniture Store and a nightclub next to that, the entire strip should have new life by the end of the year. Tenants include a new restaurant that will take up two of the current buildings, a clothing store, a medical clinic, and a New York style deli. A wine cellar is still under consideration.

"They're not chains, they're all local people," Watkins said. "The clinic you would recognize, but I can't say until they sign the deal."

The process of renovating the strip center is complicated because each building has a different owner and a different lawyer. Watkins is waiting for one master lease. He's also holding out for all of the historical tax credits he can get, about $5 million worth.

But, there's no more waiting on foot traffic along East Capitol Street. Downtown Jackson Partners President Ben Allen said he feels cleansed by what's already happened here. "Downtown traffic is incredible compared to what it was. We've got a long way to go, but we're well on the way," he said.

Developer's website:
Standard Life (http://www.watkinspartners.com/Standard%20Life.htm - broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,675,206 times
Great to see! The Standard Life bldg has always been one of my favorites in any city I've lived in. Birmingham tried a couple times to redo their similar-sized Cabana Hotel building, but it's so isolated from the rest of downtown that it never has made a comeback.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Great to see! The Standard Life bldg has always been one of my favorites in any city I've lived in. Birmingham tried a couple times to redo their similar-sized Cabana Hotel building, but it's so isolated from the rest of downtown that it never has made a comeback.
The Standard Life building is one of my favorites in Downtown as well. It looks so slender from the west and east, and starting at the 2nd floor the entire shaft is rotated slightly off skew to relate to the side street. It's a very interesting art deco piece of architecture. I think it will make for some of the best apartments in the state with it's many windows wrapping the facade. It's even better news that it's on schedule to open early - Sept 1 rather than in December.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,554,515 times
Wow, Standard Life's going to have apartments too? Downtown Jackson is getting better and better! It will be very interesting to see what downtown will look like 20 years from now.

I took some pictures of the building when the lights were starting to get fixed. I'll have to go back through that way to see when the lights will be back up (if they aren't back up already!).

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Here are some renderings of the apartments in the Standard Life Building.

Enjoy:
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs397.snc3/24148_374693157723_573442723_3935792_2394462_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,675,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Here are some renderings of the apartments in the Standard Life Building.

Enjoy:
Very nice!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,873 times
I love these apartments! I'm thinking of relocating from Miami to Jackson and open a chic women's boutique. I'm considering Standard Life for both my living and the boutique since they offer store front retail space. Given the location/area does my idea seem realistic??? Please help with my inquiry : )

Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiema View Post
I love these apartments! I'm thinking of relocating from Miami to Jackson and open a chic women's boutique. I'm considering Standard Life for both my living and the boutique since they offer store front retail space. Given the location/area does my idea seem realistic??? Please help with my inquiry : )
It may work, but the area needs more general amenities first - like a deli, grocery, wine shop, coffee shop, pharmacy, bakery, salon, etc. Granted, one block over, there is construction/renovation going on to supposedly house a deli and health clinic, so there is tenant space filling up as we speak. A sports bar recently opened up right around the corner as well.

If you market your product properly and can entice customers to come seek your product, then you can be successful - but you can not just set up shop and open the doors and expect a mad rush of business to flow in. It may be wise to partner up with other business owners to try to create a coalition of women's apparel shops to increase traffic in the area.

If I were you, I would keep my eye on the Capital City Center project, which will be located just one block southeast of the Standard Life. Once that project gets started, and more importantly completed, you could definitely have some good, consistent business - but then again, you may would want to be located within the retail space that project creates.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 PM

210 posts, read 340,925 times
Jacksonian, what Sports Bar just opened? Is it apart of Farish Street or in a different location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or