U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
The growth that the Jackson Metro is experiencing is a result of people moving here from out of state and other parts of Mississippi. If the growth of places like Madison were only a result of people moving from Jackson to the suburbs, then the Metro would not have a population increase of 43,669 (+8.8%) from 2000 to 2009.
I'll go with that, but what is attracting folks from other areas? Lots of new jobs? Scenic beauty? Good climate?

I have a soft spot for Jackson since I lived there twice in the 90's, but I'm not getting what would attract great numbers of new residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'll go with that, but what is attracting folks from other areas? Lots of new jobs? Scenic beauty? Good climate?

I have a soft spot for Jackson since I lived there twice in the 90's, but I'm not getting what would attract great numbers of new residents.
Low cost of living, climate, less traffic, growing retail developments, growing industry, proximity to other cities/states... and more recently, affected less by the recession than the majority of other states, especially in the housing market. The medical industry is a big reason, as is the diverse universities/colleges in the area. Insurance and banking have become very popular in the Jackson area as well - I was just in a recent class and they asked us our occupation, and 40% of the class' answers were insurance related.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Low cost of living, climate, less traffic, growing retail developments, growing industry, proximity to other cities/states... and more recently, affected less by the recession than the majority of other states, especially in the housing market. The medical industry is a big reason, as is the diverse universities/colleges in the area. Insurance and banking have become very popular in the Jackson area as well - I was just in a recent class and they asked us our occupation, and 40% of the class' answers were insurance related.
Didn't Allstate close their big operation down south along I-20?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

579 posts, read 1,163,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Didn't Allstate close their big operation down south along I-20?
They did however that building is now Jackson State University e-Center. Jackson area is growing and as the area continues to grow the businesses will come and when they do the people will continue to follow. I still believe we should add a couple of riverboat gaming along to Pearl River.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 17,252 times
This is a great idea. I'm curious if there's any place online to read updates about this?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,139 times
Sorry if I am just late on this. Im not from Jackson but have recently caught interest in what is going on in the design of the One Lake plan. Am I correct to belive that the idea of creating this development along the Pearl River that is shown in the Two Lake plan has move into the down town area for the One Lake plan?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
This seems like a good idea, but it will never happen. The Jackson City council is too incompetent.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedoutsider View Post
Sorry if I am just late on this. Im not from Jackson but have recently caught interest in what is going on in the design of the One Lake plan. Am I correct to belive that the idea of creating this development along the Pearl River that is shown in the Two Lake plan has move into the down town area for the One Lake plan?
No, I believe the One Lake plan and Town Creek are completely unrelated. One Lake is still on the Pearl river, and is ostensibly designed so that the Pearl will never flood Jackson again, while also providing development opportunities, since Jackson got no benefit from the Reservoir.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM

93 posts, read 181,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No, I believe the One Lake plan and Town Creek are completely unrelated. One Lake is still on the Pearl river, and is ostensibly designed so that the Pearl will never flood Jackson again, while also providing development opportunities, since Jackson got no benefit from the Reservoir.
I'm glad you said 'ostensibly' because there is a certain level which it is designed for; and it won't be able to protect for a flood greater than that. So we shouldn't say "never flood again".

Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,408,357 times
I made my first trip to Jackson last fall. I had a great weekend and felt I could have been anywhere based on the quality of food and organization.
I saw a diverse area of town so I am not deluded that there is no work to be done.
However, people on the forums can be pretty ugly and I notice a lot of people from Mississippi have nothing good to say. I point this out just to say that it would be nice if you could know how much better an outsider like myself sees your city than you do.
The projects look formidable but time is in fair abundance.
Just, raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or