U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

420 posts, read 1,116,872 times

Advertisements

I recently took a trip to Mississippi for a funeral and I visited Madison and Ridgeland Mississippi. I thought the place was so up to date. I am from Wisconsin and really fell in love with this area. If anyone has any misconceptions about Mississippi, I suggest they visit this area. I had so many stereotypes about Mississippi, but Madison County really changed my mind. My husband and I liked the area so much we are planning on relocating soon. It has that country feel as well as that city feel all wrapped up in one. Is this area really that nice? How is the job outlook? How are the schools? I look forward to your imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,931,954 times
LOL. I hate Madison and Ridgeland - it's a big overpoliced shopping mall; it's the Disneyland of Southern life.

Some people like Disneyland. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM

9 posts, read 41,519 times
I ran a half-marathon in Ridgeland, MS a few years ago. It did seem like a huge shopping area. Gorgeous homes, but I'm sure the prices are outlandish.

It's really not indicative of the rich heritage of the South. I'd much prefer you base your opinion on places with richer histories. But, at least you did enjoy the area! (Sorry about your loss, by the way).

Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,153 times
Madison and Ridgeland get a lot of grief for being so nice. People who live in the city and occasionally people in the country look down on Madison County for being a little plastic. It's a free country, so whatever. In any event, it is a nice area and getting nicer. I'm guessing you shopped at the Renaissance and possibly the Town Center at Highand Colony. But did you go the Jackson Yacht Club or see the Lost Rabbit community on the Reservoir? Gorgeous. And yes there are very nice neighborhoods back off the interstate on both sides. Rankin County out Lakeland Drive is fresh and new and also has beautiful places on the Reservoir. Northeast Jackson has some beautiful and very wooded established neighborhoods. And Downtown is making a comeback. The other parts of city of Jackson are lower income and have a crime problem, a favorite topic on this forum.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM

190 posts, read 599,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Is this area really that nice? How is the job outlook? How are the schools? I look forward to your imput.
Madison and Ridgeland are both nice areas and for the most part very well maintained. The Ridgeland area near County Line road has experienced some decline, but hopefully more attention will be devoted to it so it won't experience the same fate as much of the area south. East of I-55 in both towns has more of a homey feel in my opinion, while the area west seems to have more of a "manufactured" feel to me.

The public schools in Madison and Ridgeland are considered to be very good. There are also some very good private schools I would highly suggest, if you prefer a private education (I for one do). Regarding job outlook, if you could provide more information on what type of job you would be looking for I might be able to provide some info.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,050 times
I'm glad you liked it!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM

128 posts, read 262,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I recently took a trip to Mississippi for a funeral and I visited Madison and Ridgeland Mississippi. I thought the place was so up to date. I am from Wisconsin and really fell in love with this area. If anyone has any misconceptions about Mississippi, I suggest they visit this area. I had so many stereotypes about Mississippi, but Madison County really changed my mind. My husband and I liked the area so much we are planning on relocating soon. It has that country feel as well as that city feel all wrapped up in one. Is this area really that nice? How is the job outlook? How are the schools? I look forward to your imput.
Good tells your friends their perceptions about Mississippi are wrong. I think, unfortunately, most people would have the same reaction that you did -- namely great surpise that parts of Mississippi are just like other affluent suburban areas in the country.

In terms of schools you will find a cultural difference with some other parts of the country. At least in Jackson, white middle-class people don't send their kids to the public schools as there are no good ones. In Madison, people do send their kids to Madison Central. The impression I get is that if your kid is enrolled in the honor classes he'll get a pretty good education there. If not, maybe he won't. Because the area has grown so much in recent years the school is getting way too big and bursting at the seems. There are good private schools in the area -- St. Andrew's Episcopal, St. Joe's Catholic, and Madison Ridgeland Academy.

Also, I would have to disagree with another poster who suggested the prices of these big homes is Madison county are probably astronomical -- by no means. In comparison to almost every other part of the country you'll get a lot of bang for your buck (perhaps a bit less so now than 10 years ago though).

Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,158,737 times
Lived in Madison, MS for two years. Madison should be its own separate state from the rest of Miss. Loved Madison! The rest of the state I didn't care for. While a little on the cliquey side the people are nice, (you will have cliques with any affluent area). Madison County schools are among the best in the state. Some good private schools too. Jackson Academy, everybody calls it JA is one of the best. I don't know what religion you are, but Catholics are a minority in the south. However, St Francis in Madison is booming parish, with very young parishoners. I've been to mass there a few times, less than 20% of those in church had grey hair. Madison does have some very strict ordinances, limits to the amount vehicles you can have in your driveway, no yard signs, (political, contractor, or otherwise), no yard sales, no selling vehicles from your yard, yards must be well kept, which I all like because it helps keep the area looking nice. Jobs I really can't help you out on, but sometimes as a "yankee" it is tough to find a job. Yes, there are those that still fight the civil war, but I'm not going off on a socio-economic rant, I'll stick to the topic. MADISON IS AWESOME !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson