U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,456,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
Are you joking? Are you joking?? Are you kidding me!!!
I think in 1979 all BLACK AMERICA had their rights!
The schools, I see Black kids wearing jewelry-MTV style, I won't go GANGSTER related, cell phones are very popular but that to say this country would be in a better place...GET LOST!

Most all Black schools require medal detectors and security guards...sounds alot like PRISON TO THIS WHITE MAN!!!

stars&bars go back and look at post #11 that I quoted. You there?
That Poster's city-data forum name is "1979". I was responding to him using his screen name.
I was not referring to the year 1979.
You just can't get off your agenda can you?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM

161 posts, read 458,070 times
I think some of the off the wall racist comments on this thread alone should answer your question. If you need more proof, look at any number of the other Mississippi threads--everything always boils down to racial prejudice, usually white on black. True, things seem to be a little better on the gulf coast. For the opposite extreme, look at the Delta. This area has changed little since the 1950s.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:46 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,792,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Would you mind describing the time-frame when you were in school in Jackson? Was this the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s? The reason I ask is that I can't imagine a time when there were enough White people in the Jackson public schools to even be bussed. Pretty much all the White kids in the public schools go to Casey, McWillie (only in the Montesorri), Power APAC, or Murrah.

Please, expand on your comments here. What agendas? What demagogues? In your opinion, what happened?

I doubt there are at least 50 white kids attending Murrah.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM

128 posts, read 256,485 times
I lived in a small town outside Boston when I was very little (mid 80's). I remember a black girl enrolled in our school for the first time and evryone was talking about it as if it was something shocking -- not exactly bad -- just shocking. We sold our house to a black family when we moved and a couple neighbors tried to talk my parents out of it...

I lived in L.A. when I was in my early 20's. I was in a school situated near a largely Latino area. In my apartment building were a bunch of primarily white students, a couple blacks and asians. Zero interaction between the students and neighbors, and generally unfriendly stares when we walked out in the neighborhood...

In Jackson, there is more interaction than in most places because there has to be since the area is (including metro) about 50/50 black/ white. People are generally friendly but, with a few exceptions, the blacks live in their own neighborhoods, whites in theirs, blacks go to public schools, whites to private schools, different churches, etc. There are a few more integrated neighborhoods in Northeast Jackson and there are black kids who attend private schools. At the high school I went to there were black kids, who did indeed have white friends and a black man and black woman were voted our equivalent of prom kind and prom queen year I was a senior.

I think race relations have gotten better, but there is still a lot of self- segregation in many places throughout the country. Still, I didn't see much overt racial tension growing up in Mississippi.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM

420 posts, read 1,098,768 times
I find this sad that racism exist on both sides and in all races. I am a christian and I love all races. Some of us are going to have a hard time in heaven. In heaven there will not be a place for blacks, whites, chinese, latinos, we will all be one. I am so glad God is not like us. There are good and bad people in every race. I am black and when I went to Mississippi, I noticed there is a racial divide but that is everywhere in America. I met some nice people in which we actually discussed raced and he told me it exist on both sides. We really need to come together and throw away all the stereotypes. We could accomplish so much more together than apart. I love you all with the love of the Lord.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM

8,181 posts, read 18,101,977 times
Thread closed for mod review.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson