U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM

106 posts, read 333,042 times

Advertisements

My professor was showing our class a video about the racial segregation that occurred in Jackson during the 60's and also the riots that steamed from them.

I know that Jackson was not the only city subjected to this type of hatred in the Deep South during this time period but people sadly generalize "Racial Tension" and "Mississippi" to this present day.

My grandmother is from the Gulf Coast and said that she didn't really notice a lot of discrimination Down on the Coast as compared to Jackson. And that people down there didn't seem as racists as people in Jackson did during that time.

Do you think that the events that occurred in the 60's and early 70's still have an impact on the Metro Jackson Area TODAY?

To me there seems to be this kind of unspoken social tension in the air.

Elaborate on it...

Thanks.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM

63 posts, read 196,180 times
I lived on the Gulf Coast for 20 years and there was very very very very, let me stress it again, VERY little racial tension. The state has a terrible reputation thanks mostly to the way we are portrayed by the media, movies, books, ignorant people, etc. I have lived in the the North for the past 2 years and things up here are much worse than they were on the Gulf Coast.

I do not know much about the Jackson area but I can say that most urbanized areas of the state are past the 60s and 70s stereotypes.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkatme View Post
The state has a terrible reputation thanks mostly to the way we are portrayed by the media, movies, books, ignorant people, etc.
This state has a terrible reputation when it comes to race, because they EARNED it. This state let it be known that if you get out of line, you will be killed (see, Emmett Till, and the Freedom Riders). This state let it be known that "they" will not gain access to "our" public schools, without a fight (see Governor Ross Barnett).
In 1953, public schools were just fine for White kids, but by 1955, public schools were not good enough for "us" and are only for "them," and white kids suddenly attended the dozens of new "academies" that suddenly sprang up. You tell me what happened in 1954.

Mississippi's reputation is well-deserved. Don't blame it on the media, movies, books, or ignorant people. We all need to OWN it.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM

63 posts, read 196,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
This state has a terrible reputation when it comes to race, because they EARNED it. This state let it be known that if you get out of line, you will be killed (see, Emmett Till, and the Freedom Riders). This state let it be known that "they" will not gain access to "our" public schools, without a fight (see Governor Ross Barnett).
In 1953, public schools were just fine for White kids, but by 1955, public schools were not good enough for "us" and are only for "them," and white kids suddenly attended the dozens of new "academies" that suddenly sprang up. You tell me what happened in 1954.

Mississippi's reputation is well-deserved. Don't blame it on the media, movies, books, or ignorant people. We all need to OWN it.
You are ridiculous. 2010 Mississippi is a complete turnaround from 1953 Mississippi. Stop living in the past and embrace POSITIVE change. Give the state credit for that because it's EARNED it!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
Quote:
You are ridiculous. 2010 Mississippi is a complete turnaround from 1953 Mississippi. Stop living in the past and embrace POSITIVE change. Give the state credit for that because it's EARNED it!
You are right that things are a lot better but you are kidding yourself if you think that there is no problems. I just moved here from Memphis a few months ago. Memphis to me is extremely segregated and so is the part of MS I live in now. You want to talk about racial tension. Open your eyes! I work with mostly black women and this is something we have discussed several times.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-11-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times
Quote:
I'm really not trying to be "ridiculous," or stir up trouble, or live in the past. I was responding to the remark that Mississippi had an undeserved reputation. In my opinion, Mississippi's reputation is well-deserved, and it will take decades to live down.

People still call Pittsburgh "the steel city" but no steel has been made there since the 70s.

Reputations take a long time to change... Acting like MS did nothing to "earn" its rep is disingenuous.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,451,110 times
Did your Grandmother forget the 1960 Biloxi race riot?

Encyclopedia of American race riots - Google Books

Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,474,879 times
My brother and I were travelling on our way home to Florida and stopped at a McDonalds for lunch in downtown Jackson off the main Interstate. As soon as we walked in the door all eyes were on us. We are fair skinned hispanics and just about every patron was black. It was the most unsettling experience I ever had because we didn't know if they were shocked to see somebody different from their race that was willing to sit down and eat with them or they were just resentfull we were even there to begin with. Being from south Florida which is multi racial I never had such an experience even in predominantly owned black establishments. You could tell there was a racial divide in Jackson, of course this was back in the late 80's so hopefully things have changed.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM

361 posts, read 927,600 times
I have a Honduran-American friend from New Orleans who just went up to Jackson to visit a friend. He told me a story where he was getting gas at a gas station and asked 3 of the workers there, all black females, where a good place was to get a bite to eat. one said, in a mocking and mean tone "a mexican restaurant just opened around the corner." and my friend responded, "what's that supposed to mean?" and she responded, "oh, i guess you want Taco Bell then huh?" boy was he pissed- his face even got red when he told me the story. i only say this cause this is all i know of race relations in Jackson. is the south particularly resentful towards latinos? I know a huge disrespect towards latino's here in new orleans from both whites and especially blacks. much different than up in my home town of Chicago. comments?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM

106 posts, read 333,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
I have a Honduran-American friend from New Orleans who just went up to Jackson to visit a friend. He told me a story where he was getting gas at a gas station and asked 3 of the workers there, all black females, where a good place was to get a bite to eat. one said, in a mocking and mean tone "a mexican restaurant just opened around the corner." and my friend responded, "what's that supposed to mean?" and she responded, "oh, i guess you want Taco Bell then huh?" boy was he pissed- his face even got red when he told me the story. i only say this cause this is all i know of race relations in Jackson. is the south particularly resentful towards latinos? I know a huge disrespect towards latino's here in new orleans from both whites and especially blacks. much different than up in my home town of Chicago. comments?
There is not a very big Hispanic population in Mississippi as you might have known already. The majority of its residents are either African American or White.

Your friend's experience with the black females does not at all surprise me. People like to put up a front here and think that they are "mixing it up and interacting with different races" but when you get down to it they retreat back to their own social groups and their own race where they feel more comfortable and less judged by their peers. Sad but true.

The whites stay in Madison/Ridgeland while its more common for blacks to stay in the inner city. People just don't care to interact with different races here. Itís not in your face but there seems to be a social stigma in the air.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson