Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM

112 posts, read 244,110 times

Advertisements

I would like to know pro's and cons for Jacksonville and Orlando. I will be relocating from upstate New York next June, and I'm trying to gather information for both places. I need information on good public elementary schools, nice apartments, jobs, and the weather/beauty in Jacksonville. A few people mentioned that Jacksonville was rather boring compared to Orlando. I will be visiting in two months to check things out, but in the meantime- if you have any information, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.UpstateNY View Post
I would like to know pro's and cons for Jacksonville and Orlando. I will be relocating from upstate New York next June, and I'm trying to gather information for both places. I need information on good public elementary schools, nice apartments, jobs, and the weather/beauty in Jacksonville. A few people mentioned that Jacksonville was rather boring compared to Orlando. I will be visiting in two months to check things out, but in the meantime- if you have any information, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
I had already given you some info on Orlando, and I know a bit about Jacksonville, particularly Orange Park, which is south of Jacksonville

Orange Park is very friendly, family oriented place. There's lots of choices for dining, shopping, and entertainment. A majority of Orange Park is off Blanding Blvd, the main drag through the city. Traffic on this road is AWFUL though

Orange Park is also about 30-40 minutes from the beach, a short drive to downtown Jacksonville which IMO is also pretty nice

I'll shut up now, and let the Jacksonville folks point you in the right direction.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM

150 posts, read 577,177 times
The main con to Orlando for me would be traffic. Everytime I have to visit a client location on Orlando, I get so irritated by the traffic on I-4 and any other roads that people take to get into the city. Like Jacksonville, I think most people that work in Orlando live in the suburbs (Longwood etc.), but I would bet that average commute time is almost double.

The main pro to Orlando over Jacksonville is that there is a lot more to do in general.

I think in terms of cost of living, Orlando might be slightly higher than Jacksonville, but not significantly. In terms of safety and public schools, I think they are probably about even.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
Orange park is a dump. I'm sorry for the bluntness, but from everything I have seen, you couldn't pay me to live there. Orlando has better shopping, better restaurants, and definitely has more of a city feel. However the traffic is horrendous, the crime is surprisingly bad and of-coarse there is the tourism factor. Jacksonville is more of slow pace, is prettier then Orlando and I think a better place to raise a family. So it just depends on what your priorities are.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
The main differences b/t the two is (1) that much of Orlando is geared towards the tourist (2) Orlando has a much larger hispanic population (3) Orlando has a huge university (4) Jacksonville has the river & ocean (5) Jacksonville has a more Arts

The rest is just splitting hairs. Both will have good and bad schools, both will have nice apartments, both will have similar weather (although Jax is much less likely to be hit by a hurricane), jobs will be somewhat similar, with slight edes on either end.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
I agree with fsu813.

To put it in a slightly more vulgar way, Jacksonville is water and rednecks. Orlando is theme parks and Puerto Ricans. Everything else is extremely similar - schools, crime rates, suburbs, etc.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 18,336 times
Carefully decide how valid are the opinions of strangers who know nothing about your likes and dislikes. That being said, geographically speaking, the closer you are to the coast, the cooler the air and lighter. I used to live in Gainesville which is as centrally located as Orlando from both coastlines. I don't miss it for how still and hot it was. Almost never any breezes. I frequent Orlando a few times a year on vacation but I can tell you there is a noticeable improvement in temp and humidity level back here at home. I like to play there, but I think I'll stay here.

Best wishes on your deliberation.....indeed, there is much to take into account and it's really all very subjective. Go with your gut!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.UpstateNY View Post

Before I answer, do you speak fluent Spanish? If not, pick Jacksonville. That's not an insult, just an observation.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Before I answer, do you speak fluent Spanish? If not, pick Jacksonville. That's not an insult, just an observation.
I find that post offensive, not because I am hispanic but because I lived in Orlando for ten years and never had a problem communicating with anybody when I lived there, and Im a white male who knows very little spanish, and in fact most of the girls I dated in Orlando were hispanic, as are about 60% of my friends as well

I know you didnt mean to be insulting, but even though I live in Las Vegas now, I still have a lot of pride in what I consider my hometown, the best times of my life so far are there in Orlando

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Orlando -

Pros
-Fun For All Ages
-New amenities being built
-New transportation system becoming a new transportation hub of Florida
-Family Oriented - Always a Friendly environment
-Suburbs to choose from unlike Jacksonville where your whole county is your city.
-Near the beach. Again suburbs on the east side are closer to the beaches than the 30 something miles suburbs to the west.
-Economy is based of tourism but is expanding to medical with new medical city and gaming,technological industry with Lockheed Martin and E.A. sports.
-University of Central Florida - huge and newish.
-Warm year round with the exception of the 4 winter months.
Close drive to Tampa, Clearwater, St. Peter (beautiful Gulf coast Beaches), Miami, Ft. Lauderdale
-Does not have the deadliest interstate (I-95) in Florida running through it, however interstate 4 is no better (Number 3)
-Has a nice downtown, Vibrant and classy. Smaller buildings but still impressive in the sorts there is something to do and its not 9-5
-Orlando has its scenic views and lifestyles from the hills of Lake county and Pine Hills to the springs of Apopka and Seminole county.
-Great Restaurants
-World Class Airport
-Newer Neighborhoods
-Clean
-Safer than last year. Crime dropping
-College Bowl Games
-NBA All Star Festivities coming in 2012 so that should increase the development of the city

Overall Orlando is moving in the right direction with a positive future.

Cons
-Orlando's traffic. While we have a lack of public transportation thereof, there are plans to build light rail, commuter rail and expand bus services. Just like any other city though.
-Tolled highway system. Nice, but costly.
-Need a car.
-Not on the beach so you have to travel, however it is not an all day event.
-Only one pro sports team same as Jacksonville. We do have National Lacrosse and AFL
-Can get C-O-L-D but normally is warmer than Jacksonville
-Tourist and immigrants count for a population in the city on a daily basis making for hected encounters if your not fluent with languages. it is not a problem depending on the side of town so thats a good thing.

Jacksonville to me is Boring. I would not dare. But to others it is a great city. It all depends on what you want which you did not specify so kind of hard to be more detailed.
Hope this helps.

Basically you choose your life style here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville