Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 PM

30 posts, read 60,154 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if this unemployment is going to go on longer for those of us who are already 50. I am a x-military spouse with employment gaps and then older. I'm wondering where the jobs are for people like me. My education is HR related but getting no where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM

8,913 posts, read 20,314,101 times
We (wife/I) don't have any large employment gaps, but finding full-time permanent employment sure has been a struggle! I'm 61 and she is 62. She is/has been working on a contract with a company that keeps extending her by the month. They like her work, but don't want to hire her permanently. I have a very small in-home photography business that just isn't making it financially at all, so I'd have to say that I'm unemployed as well. My career has been in Purchasing and Inventory Management, but without the Degree or even a Certificate jobs just aren't there for me. Wife even has a Bachelor's Degree, but being that it's from 1997, it's getting to be to old/out of date. I have no college degree and that is hurting me.
Seems to us that the Jax area has many more professionally employed people in their 20's and 30's than other ages. Everytime we talk to an agency or employer on the phone, they sound like a kid!
Anyway, good luck with your search.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM

I guess everyone on the Jax C-D Forum is employed, except the OP and us!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM

30 posts, read 60,154 times
Default Thanks for responding

It is good to hear from others - I agree it is a very young market. Good luck too.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 AM

432 posts, read 1,306,784 times
LOL I'm not employed, but not looking. BUT I can understand that large employment gap. I'll have it. I have kids that keep me busy and I end up staying home and running them all over the place. Eventually I'll be back in the market for a job, but for now I'm just grateful we can afford the house etc on my husband's salary alone.

I do have a friend who used to teach before moving here. she's all certified etc but can't find a job at all.....she subs right now just to get her foot in the door....it's a tough market out there!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM

402 posts, read 1,053,633 times
It is tough for everyone to find a job these days. It took my wife 6 months to find a new job in the nursing field. She couldnt even get an interview and has 8 years of experience. 2 years or so ago she could have had several jobs pretty much the same day along with a hefty sign on bonus. Things have change and they need to start to turn around soon.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM

But, it much, much tougher when people are 60 plus years old!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
It is tough for everyone to find a job these days. It took my wife 6 months to find a new job in the nursing field. She couldnt even get an interview and has 8 years of experience. 2 years or so ago she could have had several jobs pretty much the same day along with a hefty sign on bonus. Things have change and they need to start to turn around soon.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 PM

229 posts, read 573,125 times
It is tough all over. Companies are hiring young people it seems, instead of us 'tried and true workers'. I am 56 and and have years of Administrative Assistant expereince but am having a very hard time finding something after my company downsized. I'm in St. Paul and temped to move but it's hard everywhere from the posts I've been reading. I would SO love to move to Jacksonville though. Your posts make me love the place.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Agree, it is "tough all over", but with people in our age bracket it really seems to be TOUGHER!! Then, if that same "older" person doesn't have at least an AA Degree and/or some type of "certification", it can become even more difficult. I told my wife the other day, "a person of our age bracket today has to be either retired from a company or City/State/Federal job or employed......period! If unemployed and looking, LOOK OUT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
It is tough all over. Companies are hiring young people it seems, instead of us 'tried and true workers'. I am 56 and and have years of Administrative Assistant expereince but am having a very hard time finding something after my company downsized. I'm in St. Paul and temped to move but it's hard everywhere from the posts I've been reading. I would SO love to move to Jacksonville though. Your posts make me love the place.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM

118 posts, read 407,782 times
My mom was having a hard time also, but she when thru Experience Works program at Worksource and was able to work part time thru them. Then she also volunteered at the library and after a year was able to secure a good part time job there. I know it's difficult, but I would try volunteering if possible and your church networking may be a source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville