U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,635 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville has a diverse religious population. The largest religious group is Protestant. As of 2010, there were 821,784 people and 366,273 households in the city. The largest ancestries include: German (9.6%), American (9.3%), Irish (9.0%), English (8.5%), and Italian (3.5%). Jacksonville has the country's tenth-largest Arab population, with a total population of 5,751 according to the 2000 United States Census...

Great place for multicultural activists and for people who want to have interaction with people’s outside their communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,828 times
Quote:
You can keep your Yankees sticker....just add either a Gators or Jaguars sticker beside it and you'll be fine.
I don't know about the whole Gators thing. When I moved here from NY last year, I thought everyone would be a Gators fan just because of the proximity from Gainsville to here, but from my experience, the college fan breakdown is not cut and dried. It is roughly as follows:

41% FSU*
39% Gators*
15% Georgia
5% Tennessee or Other

*Unabashed FSU fan here, so my numbers might be oh-so slightly skewed. In reality, for every Gators fan I meet, I meet an FSU fan, and vice versa. I'm a young professional, so it may be totally different for a different demographic.

With regard to the decision whether to live in Maryland or J'ville, I would recommend Jacksonville for a lot of reasons. There is no state income tax in Florida, and I believe they have it in Maryland, so if you live here, you keep more of what you earn. Plus, the cost of living here is comparatively low. And you're by the beach/ocean and the sun is usually shining, so people are just happier here. I personally don't find anything about this city particularly compelling, but it's a good weigh station if you're trying to figure out where to go/what to do next in life.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
I too am from LI (rockville centre) except im cuban Im looking for something like LI, suburb feel, but still close enough to enjoy the "city" any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,534,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceGirl266 View Post
I don't know about the whole Gators thing. When I moved here from NY last year, I thought everyone would be a Gators fan just because of the proximity from Gainsville to here, but from my experience, the college fan breakdown is not cut and dried. It is roughly as follows:

41% FSU*
39% Gators*
15% Georgia
5% Tennessee or Other

*Unabashed FSU fan here, so my numbers might be oh-so slightly skewed. In reality, for every Gators fan I meet, I meet an FSU fan, and vice versa. I'm a young professional, so it may be totally different for a different demographic.

With regard to the decision whether to live in Maryland or J'ville, I would recommend Jacksonville for a lot of reasons. There is no state income tax in Florida, and I believe they have it in Maryland, so if you live here, you keep more of what you earn. Plus, the cost of living here is comparatively low. And you're by the beach/ocean and the sun is usually shining, so people are just happier here. I personally don't find anything about this city particularly compelling, but it's a good weigh station if you're trying to figure out where to go/what to do next in life.

Where did you get those percentages? I see Gator crap everywhere, far outnumbers FSU.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,925,479 times
I think she did a scientific survey.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 AM

199 posts, read 354,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Where did you get those percentages? I see Gator crap everywhere, far outnumbers FSU.
That's because the FSU stuff is flying off the shelves! You don't get to see it just hanging there.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,534,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
That's because the FSU stuff is flying off the shelves! You don't get to see it just hanging there.
Well I meant hanging off big fat dummies wearing the gear and flying their flags from their cars.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM

190 posts, read 232,398 times
Maybe the reason you see FSU stuff everywhere this year, is because FSU won this years National Championship in football. And every one loves being associated with a winner!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Default FYI Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohogirl View Post
I am so unbelievably confused right now after reading these forums. I am a single 59 year old woman who finally went back to school to get a masters in social work. I am going to graduate at about the same time as my upside down house is going to be foreclosed on or will be sold short. I am going to be faced with having to rent for the first time in 15 years and on top of that I have 3 dogs. I have an excellent resume so I believe I will get a job, but I have been trying to decide if I should move south. I am in Maryland now and I get bronchitis several times a year in this weather. I have read about Tampa ( people talking about bugs, snakes, smelly bays, and just about every scary thing you can think of, i read about Jacksonville (no music, expensive housing or crime in inexpensive housing) so maybe I should just stay in Maryland and die of pneumonia. Any one have any uplifting things to say about any city in Florida?
Hi Sohogirl Ill try to keep this to the point. Im retired from the USN and my first duty station was Jacksonville. I ended up retiring in Pensacola, FL. I currently reside halfway between Jax and P-cola. I have family and friends who live in and around Jacksonville that I visit quite often. I have spent 35+ years (20 in Jacksonville) watching it change from a nice little city of about 250K (mid 70s) to the nightmarish 1.3 million it is today. Jacksonville has become just like all large southern cities (Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Miami, Mobile, Orlando, Tampa etc. etc. etc.) and anyone in Jacksonville who says differently is suffering from cranial rectitis. If you really feel the need to move this far south with your health and educational background I recommend you check out the Tallahassee area. With a Masters in Social Work the possibilities there are endless. You could teach at FSU, FAMU, TCC work for the state/county/city or you could land a HR position at numerous companies. Personally Im looking to move to central/western North Carolina. Good Luck, Take Care and Choose Wisely.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM

33 posts, read 52,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohogirl View Post
I am so unbelievably confused right now after reading these forums. I am a single 59 year old woman who finally went back to school to get a masters in social work. I am going to graduate at about the same time as my upside down house is going to be foreclosed on or will be sold short. I am going to be faced with having to rent for the first time in 15 years and on top of that I have 3 dogs. I have an excellent resume so I believe I will get a job, but I have been trying to decide if I should move south. I am in Maryland now and I get bronchitis several times a year in this weather. I have read about Tampa ( people talking about bugs, snakes, smelly bays, and just about every scary thing you can think of, i read about Jacksonville (no music, expensive housing or crime in inexpensive housing) so maybe I should just stay in Maryland and die of pneumonia. Any one have any uplifting things to say about any city in Florida?
I live in naples florida which is in the southwestern part of Florida and is quite a bit different than Jacksonville. I am also an MSW, so maybe I can help you out a little bit. I have a friend at work from Maryland and from what i can tell, it is a better place to be a social worker. The northeastern United States is one of the better areas for SW jobs, especially when it comes to pay. I'm from Missouri where social work pay is very low and moved here to get some actual experience at the MSW level instead of being stuck in an entry level BSW job. I work in hospice and, from what I've seen healthcare is the best social work field in Florida and most everything else is underpaid. The reality is that it is very hard to find a job unless you have previous experience in the particular field you are looking into.

I have a few questions.

Do you have any experience in the field?

What type of work are you looking for?

Are you planning on pursuing licensure? Florida only has LCSW and there is no LMSW license, so you will have to find a clinical supervisor, register with the state, complete required supervision hours and pass the LCSW exam. It is MUCH easier to get a good job with an LCSW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or