Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,123 times

Advertisements

well all the schools are listed in there so u guys dont have to guess which ones may be ranted ok or bad. also Darnell Cookman is a A ranked middle school that is transitioning into a high school too. I think they have sophomores or juniors there now.
magnet schools give preference to students in their district so u dont have to go through a lottery if its a neighborhood school.

also its good to go to a webite forum and ask other people living in neighborhoods what thy do about schools i think some have been linked and anothr good one is www.metrojacksonville.com

or here - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacksonville-FL/Historic-Springfield-Jacksonville/124986934549

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM

237 posts, read 493,664 times
When I first moved here I rented in St. Johns County for my daughter could go to Bartram Trail. I could not stand the remoteness. After she graduated I bought a home in Mandarin. Mandarin is a great area and close to everything. But even though Mandarin High School is highly rated for Duval County in does not compare to St. John's County schools, which are rated some of the best in the nation. I hear Fletcher is a good school if you want to live over by the beach.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM

870 posts, read 2,168,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
When I first moved here I rented in St. Johns County for my daughter could go to Bartram Trail. I could not stand the remoteness. After she graduated I bought a home in Mandarin. Mandarin is a great area and close to everything. But even though Mandarin High School is highly rated for Duval County in does not compare to St. John's County schools, which are rated some of the best in the nation. I hear Fletcher is a good school if you want to live over by the beach.
I have to ask where are the SJCS rated as some of the best in the nation?

If you child is one the "Honors" classes track, they will get a quality education no matter where they attend. If they are on the "Standard" track, then they have to deal with the rest of the student population, The part that is not motivated, and could not care less if they complete the requirements.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM

310 posts, read 864,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I have to ask where are the SJCS rated as some of the best in the nation?

If you child is one the "Honors" classes track, they will get a quality education no matter where they attend. If they are on the "Standard" track, then they have to deal with the rest of the student population, The part that is not motivated, and could not care less if they complete the requirements.

Honors and AP classes are located within the same building as regular high school course, so even if your student is in those classes they still mix with other regular students in-between bells, during homeroom, in PE and other electives. If what you said is really true then why did Duval county create magnet schools to corral all the smart kids in one or two places? BTW, we have two teens (one just graduated) who were in honors and AP courses since the 8th grade so we do have some experience with this.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 AM

870 posts, read 2,168,789 times
But, they are not in the same classes with the un-motivated student. Therefore, less discipline problems in the classroom.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 AM

150 posts, read 574,435 times
Please make sure your children don't "mix with other regular students" during lunch and PE! It will only serve to teach them some social skills they might not otherwise develop and to make friends outside of the honors students.

JagFan27 is right- we have smart students graduating all the time from Duval county's schools. Don't buy into the hype. If your kids are smart, they will do fine anywhere.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,323 times
The only problem with Duval is that there are 2 excellent schools that you have to test into. Some people don't want to "gamble" with their child's education in case they don't make the cut (3 when cookman is a high school). I can understand that. My wife and I are taking a wait and see approach with our two kids. If they test really well, then we will probably try to move to San Marco where Hendricks and Landon are both good and they would be in the district with an eye on one of the big 3 for high school.

If my kids are borderline, I'll stay out here in St. Johns as the "safe" play.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,123 times
newsflash----there r more than 2 good highschools in jacksonville. and in most highschools you can take lots of AP classes too

Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
newsflash----there r more than 2 good highschools in jacksonville. and in most highschools you can take lots of AP classes too
There is Mandarin too, but if I want to move back into Duval, I want to be closer to the core.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM

24 posts, read 75,985 times
I looked over Duval school information this morning...I think I am going to have to get used to St. Johns County. I am sure there are good schools in Duval, but seems SJC is the best choice...ugh. Have I mentioned I don't want to move???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville