U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 PM

433 posts, read 1,131,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
The only problem with Duval is that there are 2 excellent schools that you have to test into. Some people don't want to "gamble" with their child's education in case they don't make the cut (3 when cookman is a high school). I can understand that. My wife and I are taking a wait and see approach with our two kids. If they test really well, then we will probably try to move to San Marco where Hendricks and Landon are both good and they would be in the district with an eye on one of the big 3 for high school.

If my kids are borderline, I'll stay out here in St. Johns as the "safe" play.
I think you hit the nail on the head. we avoided duval because as a whole the schools aren't that great. I also didn't want my friends to have to ride a looooong time to get to those better schools (which as military you have preference to get into them). I wanted to live in neighborhood where my kids went to school with the kids they lived by and our community events were sometimes tied to the school events nearby. My girlfriend is moving back to jax in the fall (grew up here) and said that she's struggling with areas/schools for her kids. She is leaning towards St. Johns and not in Duval where she grew up because she believes that the magnet schools are in part to blame for the rest of duval schools being so poor.

It's tough......sometimes you have to sacrifice where you want to live at a certain point for your family. I know eventually we'll move into a different area after our kids graduate. I love my neighborhood for the kids especially.....but when they aren't around I don't know if I would want to stay permanently here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,603,264 times
Quote:
It's tough......sometimes you have to sacrifice where you want to live at a certain point for your family. I know eventually we'll move into a different area after our kids graduate. I love my neighborhood for the kids especially.....but when they aren't around I don't know if I would want to stay permanently here.
nail on the head there mate.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

310 posts, read 755,602 times
This is why we settled on St. Johns county schools, too (NW)--real neighborhood schools only a short bike ride/walk or brief bus ride away. You don't have to gamble if your kid will get into a decent school, either. The trade-off are neighborhoods which tend to be newer, shopping which may be a little farther away (depending upon where you live, our grocery store is 2 minutes away), but there are some older neighborhoods which don't have the same-style homes and larger lots, less-restrictive HOA's and the residents have been there for some years. As we have four kids we just didn't see a reason to take any chances with who would get into which school and so we went with SJC. You cannot go wrong with any of the high schools or other schools in either NW or NE SJC.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,001,643 times
if u know what ur doing theres little 'gambling' involved really! but dont take my word for it--- go on www.metrojacksonville.com or www.riverside-avondale.com or www.myspringfield.org or any other forum and ask where people that live in the city send there kids and how that is! i promise the many thousands of parents arent giving up on thier kids education by living in the city believe it or not.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:28 PM

229 posts, read 345,916 times
Before moving to Jacksonville I went and visited all the potential high schools. Both Bartram and Allen Nease were highly rated. In fact Allen Nease was rated the 81st best high school in 2007, 91st in 2008, and 93rd in 2009 by Newsweek. And what I liked about these schools is they were not Magnet schools and still ranked very high. I am from the Northeast where the public schools are very good. Personnally Bartram Trails was the right fit for my daughter. Go to greatschools.net and do some research and then go visit the schools. Except for a few schools in Duvall that are difficult to get into, I do not think there is any comparison, but do the research and check it out for yourself.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,470,106 times
Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. we avoided duval because as a whole the schools aren't that great. I also didn't want my friends to have to ride a looooong time to get to those better schools (which as military you have preference to get into them). I wanted to live in neighborhood where my kids went to school with the kids they lived by and our community events were sometimes tied to the school events nearby.
Same with us. I spent months pouring over school ratings and test scores. I've talked to countless guidance counselors and administrators. Overall, Duval just didn't compare to St. John's.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,431,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Same with us. I spent months pouring over school ratings and test scores. I've talked to countless guidance counselors and administrators. Overall, Duval just didn't compare to St. John's.

Are y'all settled in yet?? Our movers come Monday!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,603,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
if u know what ur doing theres little 'gambling' involved really! but dont take my word for it--- go on www.metrojacksonville.com or www.riverside-avondale.com or www.myspringfield.org or any other forum and ask where people that live in the city send there kids and how that is! i promise the many thousands of parents arent giving up on thier kids education by living in the city believe it or not.
I'm sure there are pockets of the city that line up great with the schools. I simply could not afford the home prices at this time. I can't put two kids and a wife in a 1,400 square foot home.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM

24 posts, read 65,541 times
The more I look the more sure I am that we will live in SJC. PVB here we come??? Maybe. Have a number of subdivisions to check out. At some point I may even get excited about this...

Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,470,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
Are y'all settled in yet?? Our movers come Monday!
Monday!!!! Wow! I know you are busy!!!

Our movers come the 28th and 29th. The stuff gets delivered to the new house on July 2nd! Much faster than we expected! I'm so excited!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville