Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM

24 posts, read 76,337 times

Advertisements

I am trying to like St Johns County, I just can't do it. I want my kids in good schools, but I am not enthusiastic about the undeveloped nature of the area and the uncertainty of who may be my neighbors in the coming years. PVB is out of our price range. I have looked and looked in SJC and I can't find a place that feels right. Soooo, I am thinking about Duval.

I need to live in a community...where all of the neighbors shop in the same stores that are not more then 10 minutes away...and the landmarks are more then fireworks place. I want to be close to stores and restaurants. House with a small yard, and sidewalks connect the homes inside of the neighborhood. 2500+sf 4/2 with a pool...in the 300's.

There have to be good schools and areas in Duval - aren't there? We want to be on the east side of the river, and my husband works close to 295/95 intersection.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
San Marco area maybe

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Mandarin is probably gonna be your best bet, based on what you've mentioned. Look at zip codes 32223, 32257, and 32258.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,932 times
I agree with Mandarin, also the Southside (32256) is now okay because they just opened a brand new high school. I think they have houses in that price range in East Hampton area and it would be close to your work.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Look around where this house is:
8692 Hunters Creek Drive South, Jacksonville FL - Trulia

Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

24 posts, read 76,337 times
Thanks for the replies. Relocating is no fun

I suppose we will investigate Mandarin. Any recommendations on better areas/schools/neighborhoods?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
"I need to live in a community...where all of the neighbors shop in the same stores that are not more then 10 minutes away...and the landmarks are more then fireworks place. I want to be close to stores and restaurants. House with a small yard, and sidewalks connect the homes inside of the neighborhood. 2500+sf 4/2 with a pool...in the 300's."

You are describing the historic neighborhoods near the city to a tee. Real communities, with connecting sidewalks (harder to find than you might think in Jacksonville), neighborhoods haunts, unique places, etc. There are bad to great schools in the area, and everything in between.

Here are 3 realtors that specialize just in these areas (Jacksonville is so fragmeneted that very few realtors know much about all areas):

Dwellings, A Real Estate Companyâ„¢ / Jacksonville, Florida

www.intownjacksonville.com

Crissie's Comments

Here's a few good websites & photos on each area:

San Marco

San Marco is a mostly upscale neighborhood with an urban twist, as there are a variety of popular unique shops, restuarants, cafes, botiques, arts venues, parks, and events with in walking distance. There's a good mix of young professionals to older people here.

Major neighborhood organization: San Marco Preservation Society

Riverside....

.....and Avondale

Riverside & Avondale are technically 2 different neighborhoods, but they are smushed next to eachother and together make up the largest historic district in th state. Avondale almost exclsuively is upscale, while Riverside is very mixed/artsy/bohemian. This area is over flowing with nice parks, art venues, events, unique cafes, restauarants, botiques, shops, etc most with in walking distance. All ages will live here.

Major neighborhood organization & blog: www.riverside-avondale.com

Very popular weekly festival: www.riversideartsmarket.com

Good video overview: RAP Produces Award Winning Video | Metro Jacksonville

Springfield

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1500x460 and weights 679KB.

Springfield is the oldest neighborhood in the city and is also a historic district. It was once the worst neighborhhod in the city, no kidding, but has gone through a hug transformation and has received alot of national and local positive press over the last few years (named the #1 up & coming nighborhood in the South, for example). It's not completely renovated yet, so you'll have very rich to lower income here, and everything in between. It's very walkable with parks (including a rare free dog park), cafes/restaurants, arts venues, and many events very close by. The neighborhood is developing into an artsy/slightly upscale area, but, like I mentioned, is a work in progress. All ages will live here as well.

Neighborhood forum & website: www.myspringfield.org

Major community organization: www.sparcouncil.org

Fantastic introductory video: animoto - Historic Springfield

San Marco, Riverside & Avondale, and Springfield are considered part of the "urban core" of neighborhoods that surround downtown. They are all close to downtown and all that it offers, and eachother. All very walkable, all have tons to do with in very short distancs, and a good quality of life.

I have lots of other info about these areas, if you like.

Here are all the schools ratings from last year (soley based on FCAT scores, btw): http://www.duvalschools.org/reseval/..._Sch_Alpha.pdf

And here is the Magnet School information:
Duval County Public Schools Magnet Programs

Jacksonville schools were rated a "B" overall: http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/xls/08...es20082009.xls

As you can see, there lots of good possibilities.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
Have you looked at greatschools.com? That might be a good place to start...you can probably eliminate a lot of areas quickly based on the school ratings. I think you should be able to find plenty of good elem schools, but my concern would be high schools. Stanton and Paxon seem like amazing schools, but I think admission is based on lottery (is that right? someone please correct me if that's wrong!).

Other than that, Mandarin High looks like the best of the Duval High Schools.

What about Clay County?

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Ponte Vedra High or Nease is good. I'm sure Twin Lakes High School will be good.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
Have you looked at greatschools.com? That might be a good place to start...you can probably eliminate a lot of areas quickly based on the school ratings. I think you should be able to find plenty of good elem schools, but my concern would be high schools. Stanton and Paxon seem like amazing schools, but I think admission is based on lottery (is that right? someone please correct me if that's wrong!).
If a student attends a feeder school, they are guaranteed a spot at one of those schools. If there are any other openings, then it is based on a lottery system.
Usually there are openings for 10th and 11th grade after students who decide Stanton or Paxon is not a good fit for them (after their 9th or 10th grade year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville