U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 PM

157 posts, read 494,662 times

Advertisements

Hello Jacksonville forum. We are a young to mid age married couple of 3 years who will be moving out of Charlotte to Jacksonville Metro area next month. My wife has accepted a job in downtown Jacksonville and I currently have a job where I will be commuting. Charlotte was nice but the city is too pertentious and often try to hard to be like larger cities and the are obsessed with trying to keep up with the Jones( city officials, politicians, residents, you name it) We were also looking at Jacksonville, because of the laid back atmosphere and the size comparison. We like mid sized cities in the south but we don't need all the bells and whistles. Beside my wife would be closer to the Caribbean which she is from. We are looking to rent for 6 months to see if we like the Duval life and work. If we like this place we will me looking to build a home probably in Yulee, FL. How is the area? Upon reading these foums Jax has a lot of crime in the inner city core. We are looking for areas with low crime. What's the ratio of Blacks, whites, hispanic, etc in Yulee. How are the schools? Can someone give me more choices and ideas besides Yulee? We are looking to stay north of the St John. I appreciate all positive input. Thx.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM

561 posts, read 1,889,381 times
Look at the city-data.com main site for your demgraphic questions about Yulee. It has the actual numbers. Just search Yulee, Fl.

As for other suggestions for north of the St Johns, I would say Oceanway or San Mateo. Pretty much anything north of the Trout River will have relatively low crime. Unless you like quasi-rural living and very long commutes, I don't really see the appeal of Yulee. It's 30 minutes to downtown alone.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM

157 posts, read 494,662 times
e were thinking Yulee, because its cheaper and we can have more privacy and we can be away from crime.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM

14,628 posts, read 19,142,281 times
You can look at websites like this:

Moderator cut: link removed

or the official US census website to get demographic info.

You may be closer to the Caribbean in terms of miles here - but flights from JAX are pretty much non-existent (99% of the time you will have to fly into a place like Miami and make a connecting flight). And the flights aren't cheap. My brother has a place in Bimini (in the Bahamas) and the flights usually cost north of $500/person. Robyn

P.S. Yulee is kind of too small and too far away from most things in terms of my taste. Your taste may be different. I suggest you come down and spend a little time there to see if it's a good fit.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 AM

4,537 posts, read 13,470,968 times
I have to be totally honest that the discussion about crime in Jacksonville gets so overblown that it irks me. Certainly, there are pockets in which one really wouldn't want to go -- but that's just the same kind of thing in any city. Yes, there are instances of serious crimes, but most of the time they are not random and involve some sort of backstory which the media doesn't report because they either choose not to or just don't see the connection between the perpetrator and the victim.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere I've gone. I've walked at night downtown after a show from the Times Union to the parking garage at Duval and Main. I've been approached by homeless folks, but they've been far more polite than any who approached me in NYC. I'm not stupid and I don't stay unaware of my surroundings, but honestly there's never been danger at every corner and lurking in every shadow.

Nowhere is immune from crime. There was a recent report of 7 car break-ins in Yulee, but does that make Yulee the car-break-in-capital-of-the-world? Absolutely not. Do the crime statistics tell the real story about Jacksonville? No, they don't. One cannot lump the problems at Eureka Gardens with that car jacking in Southside - the latter was random, the former are not.

Vent and rant over.

The First Coast sounds like it fits your needs. Yes, Yulee means a commute to downtown, but it's such an easy commute and I like the Yulee area. It's a great idea to rent first to get a feel for the area. You might find that Yulee is perfect or you might discover you like south of downtown such Riverside/Avondale or Ortega or Southside or Mandarin or Fruit Cove or Fleming Island or Middleburg.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM

7,517 posts, read 17,658,816 times
Have to agree (in red below)! Other than the farming, ranch and other wide open areas of a number of States, there isn't one city in this United States that doesn't have a crime problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I have to be totally honest that the discussion about crime in Jacksonville gets so overblown that it irks me. Certainly, there are pockets in which one really wouldn't want to go -- but that's just the same kind of thing in any city. Yes, there are instances of serious crimes, but most of the time they are not random and involve some sort of backstory which the media doesn't report because they either choose not to or just don't see the connection between the perpetrator and the victim.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere I've gone. I've walked at night downtown after a show from the Times Union to the parking garage at Duval and Main. I've been approached by homeless folks, but they've been far more polite than any who approached me in NYC. I'm not stupid and I don't stay unaware of my surroundings, but honestly there's never been danger at every corner and lurking in every shadow.

Nowhere is immune from crime. There was a recent report of 7 car break-ins in Yulee, but does that make Yulee the car-break-in-capital-of-the-world? Absolutely not. Do the crime statistics tell the real story about Jacksonville? No, they don't. One cannot lump the problems at Eureka Gardens with that car jacking in Southside - the latter was random, the former are not.

Vent and rant over.

The First Coast sounds like it fits your needs. Yes, Yulee means a commute to downtown, but it's such an easy commute and I like the Yulee area. It's a great idea to rent first to get a feel for the area. You might find that Yulee is perfect or you might discover you like south of downtown such Riverside/Avondale or Ortega or Southside or Mandarin or Fruit Cove or Fleming Island or Middleburg.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,553 times
Can anyone tell me a more about rental houses or apartments in Yulee? I am being relocated to Brunswick, GA and want to live in FL. What is the commute time and is it mostly interstate? Is it better to look at the mainland or island for rentals? I am a single mom with a son going into the 8th grade, so which schools are better...and has a baseball team.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 AM

4,537 posts, read 13,470,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsResa View Post
Can anyone tell me a more about rental houses or apartments in Yulee? I am being relocated to Brunswick, GA and want to live in FL. What is the commute time and is it mostly interstate? Is it better to look at the mainland or island for rentals? I am a single mom with a son going into the 8th grade, so which schools are better...and has a baseball team.
It's about an hour's commute. Yes, much of it is I-95. That would make for an awfully long day, and it wouldn't be my preference especially when there are nice communities closer to Brunswick.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM

58 posts, read 107,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You can look at websites like this:

Moderator cut: link removed

or the official US census website to get demographic info.

You may be closer to the Caribbean in terms of miles here - but flights from JAX are pretty much non-existent (99% of the time you will have to fly into a place like Miami and make a connecting flight). And the flights aren't cheap. My brother has a place in Bimini (in the Bahamas) and the flights usually cost north of $500/person. Robyn

P.S. Yulee is kind of too small and too far away from most things in terms of my taste. Your taste may be different. I suggest you come down and spend a little time there to see if it's a good fit.

Yeah...I never fly outta Jax when going to the islands because it's too expensive-usually $500-$600 per ticket. I fly Southwest Airlines from Jax to Ft. Lauderdale and fly from there or fly outta Orlando, which is about a 2.5 drive from Jax.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,515,952 times
Check out Ponte Vedra Beach! It's amazing over here.. and about 5* cooler almost all the time.

Welcome! North Florida is a great place to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville