Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 254,318 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe how much of a non-issue this oil spill has become. It has reached Louisiana. There goes their tourist and seafood industry. It has reached Alabama shores. There goes their tourist and seafood industry. It has hit Florida including the Keys. There goes OUR Tourist and Seafood industry. Come on people wake up. This is going to get real Bad.
Never mind the Mars exploration and which Democrat is beating which Republican. Let's pull the great minds and pocketbooks together and fix this thing.
Just my POV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Agreed.

You what Tesla said about fossil fuels don't you........

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 18,043 times
Heck, If it hits the Gulf stream it could effect OUR shore line :-(
O-Way

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
I believe they found that the tar found in Key West did not come from the spill.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 AM

55 posts, read 153,132 times
Yeah I heard that abou the oil they found in key west. Also heard that if it gets in that "loop current" that it would not get any further north than Cape Canaveral before being sent out further off shore. That's still way too close for comfort though! I can't think of the impact of this on the West coast of Florida for places like clearwater, marco island and all the other barrier island communities on the gulf.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM

150 posts, read 577,108 times
Completely agree. BP says they are going to pay for it, but the impact of this is going to last YEARS. There is no way that a company the size of BP was unaware of this risk, which means they chose not to address it and now we will all pay the price.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,308 times
I choose to look at the bright side as I can now drive to the beach and get my oil changed in one quick and convenient stop. Thanks BP and you too BO!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
I choose to look at the bright side as I can now drive to the beach and get my oil changed in one quick and convenient stop. Thanks BP and you too BO!
. I don't know what to think about it yet. One has to keep in mind that if we didn't have rules about drilling near shore in more shallow water (when I visit the gulf beaches on the west coast of Florida - I can walk out a mile and still be in water up to my knees at low tide) - which would make repairs easier - we wouldn't have this mess. Also - we get about 1/3 of our domestic oil from the Gulf. So what does one do - ban all offshore drilling - or come up with more sensible rules?

I lived through the oil crisis in the early 70's - and have waited ever since for a sensible domestic energy policy. I am glad I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

So what would you do? I am in favor of - for starters - a gas tax in a flexible amount that would insure that gas would never cost less than perhaps $4/gallon. That way - we won't get these wild swings between fuel efficient vehicles and fuel hogs as the price of gas fluctuates.

And I don't know what Tesla said about fossil fuels - but I did test drive a 100% electric car at the auto show in Paris in 2008 - and that kind of car is a non-starter in most of the US (perhaps it's ok if you're delivering packages in Paris and you don't live in a country where every time someone gets injured in an auto accident - the auto manufacturer gets sued). Robyn

Old 05-20-2010, 05:56 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,756 times
The people of the state of Florida must pressure the government to take immediate action.

Is there any legal action that can be taken?

I haven't even lived in my house yet and I'm hearing that the oil can wind up as north as Cape Hatteras?

I am very, very angry to hear this

The states that are affected by this should file a class action lawsuit against BP and whoever else.

I'm not one to take what's not mine but in this case, I would be happy to leave BP broke and penniless, without any hope.

How many industries ruined and how much destruction has to take place before something is done about this??

I'm outraged.

I apologized for this outburst

Han

Old 05-20-2010, 06:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
The people of the state of Florida must pressure the government to take immediate action.

Is there any legal action that can be taken?

I haven't even lived in my house yet and I'm hearing that the oil can wind up as north as Cape Hatteras?

I am very, very angry to hear this

The states that are affected by this should file a class action lawsuit against BP and whoever else.

I'm not one to take what's not mine but in this case, I would be happy to leave BP broke and penniless, without any hope.

How many industries ruined and how much destruction has to take place before something is done about this??

I'm outraged.

I apologized for this outburst

Han
Ok - you drive all the oil companies out of the Gulf. Then what? $15/gallon gas. Are you willing to live with that? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville