Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a place to stay and fish for a few days in north Jax. Will be bringing my 17 foot semi v boat,looking to try some flats or river fishing somewhere that boat will be safe to store or dock a few days. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I can't talk specifics on whether it'll be "safe to store" your boat at these places, but there are several places along Hecksher Dr where you can put in with access to the river and also some flats. A few of those place also have what appear to be a fenced in storage area. Again, not sure how secure they are. Sisters Creek has a nice boat launch area, too. That's where they host the annual kingfish tourney.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM

73 posts, read 350,904 times
I couldn't give you an answer, but I think a good place to inquire would be with The Outdoors Show. (Outdoors Show Web Site Home) Its the home of a weekly radio report of former Jag and NY Jet Jeff Lageman and some other local aficionados on fishing in NE Fla. You can even communicate with Lageman there. They have an active forum, I'd suggest giving it a shot at some more specifics and tips from the hosts and the others in the area to make sure its the best trip possible.

Good Luck to ya!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
New Berlin Boat and RV is a nice place, storage, cleaning, bait and tackle. Very close to Dames Point.

(904) 696-6596

Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Parts of the St. Johns River have been experiencing an algae bloom and fish kill. I'd check about local conditions before planning a trip. Robyn

Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Parts of the St. Johns River have been experiencing an algae bloom and fish kill. I'd check about local conditions before planning a trip. Robyn
This article says it's happening south of the Buckman Bridge. And, that's no where near where the OP is wanting to do some fishing.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
There are no hotels that I know of other than the airport on the northside of Jax. Sisters creek boat ramp is a good ramp but it is on the northside of town.

The closest hotel/boat ramp combo I can think of would be mayport comfort inn which is about 5 mins from oak harbor boat ramp and you have B&M bait and tackle right there to get bait if you use bait. You are also about 10 minutes from mayport boat ramp which is a few miles from the ocean but has good fishing along the jetties. If its nice enough which it usually is during the summer mornings (thunderstorms roll in almost every afternoon), right now the sting rays are running the beach line with cobia following them.

I dont know how much you know about fish around here, but cobia are really fun to catch and great eatting. My friend caught 30+ last week running the beach line but you can only keep 2 per person.

If your looking for reds/trout/flounder stick to the river for best results IMO and not the intracoastal. Blount island is a great place to catch all these types of fish.

Some of the best fishing in Jax IMO on a HIGH TIDE ONLY (or u will get stuck) is mill cove which is right across from blount island. Once you get in millcove which is a large bay, stay about 10 feet right of the powerlines and you can run full speed with out any issues. Once you get to the end of the powerlines, use a trolling motor with a *** head and shrimp or artificials to work that bank, focus on mouths of the feeder creeks you see. You will not strike out here if you fish it properly. You can enter this place about 2 or so hours before high tide and get out soon after the tide turns depending on the tide change.

North Florida has some of the most drastic tide changes in all of florida so look that up before you go each day.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM

There's a newer hotel right at the Hecksher Dr exit, off 9A. It's next to Wendy's, NW corner of the interchange.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
Hey Terry, Not knowing where you're from or what type of water you're used to I will caution you about our inlet/jetties. It can and does get sporty out there during tide changes.

Here's a link to a local fishing forum:Northeast--Fishing Reports (http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/main-forums/northeast-fishing-reports - broken link)

EricBoyd's suggested hotel is close to lots of good fishing, boat storage and bait/tackle shops. Plenty of other activities across the Dames point bridge.

Here's the hotel:http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...s-_-ex-_-jaxsn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville