U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM

54 posts, read 80,763 times
Default People moving from/to Jacksonville

Here is a cool interactive map showing where people are moving around the country. It's pretty much what I expected in Duval county, but I'm a little surprised at how many people are moving west.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM

10,744 posts, read 6,850,805 times
Neat map. One thing I noticed about St. Johns County is there are a lot more more people coming than going - and the people who are coming have more money than those that leaving. Of course - one explanation for the latter is that older people who need care and are leaving to be closer to kids frequently don't have a lot of money. Robyn

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM

118 posts, read 195,946 times
I noticed the same thing, Robyn55. I have also heard that many leaving for out west are not happy... heard cost of living & taxes, unexpected rainy weather on Northwest coast, dry heat, etc. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener. I don't think the outbound trend will continue for Northeast FL.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,728,297 times
Very interesting map! We noticed for a couple of years prior to leaving the Denver, CO south metro area (Parker/Englewood) that there were quite a number of So California people who had moved to the Denver area. We seen numerous California plates and read in the Denver, CO C-D Forum about the moves. However, we thought it was hilarous when those ex-So Calif folks started complaining about the winter......all the snow/whiteout conditions/cold weather! There's a lot of difference between going to the mountains of So Calif for a day of snow skiing and actually LIVING in the snow (like Denver metro winters). But, then again, the thunderstorms here can be more wicked (lightning/downpours) than those in Colorado. We found that out last year during our first summer here.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspenc8888 View Post
I noticed the same thing, Robyn55. I have also heard that many leaving for out west are not happy... heard cost of living & taxes, unexpected rainy weather on Northwest coast, dry heat, etc. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener. I don't think the outbound trend will continue for Northeast FL.
I think that map showed a lot more inbound than outbound in perhaps all of NE Florida.

Funny you mention the northwest. My husband and I really like the northwest. Have been there maybe 5 times in the last 10-12 years (to get out of the summer heat here). And sometimes I dreamed of moving there - figured I could have a fantastic garden. Then I realized that we always go there during one of the nicest times of year (late summer - early fall). And when I did a little more digging - I realized that if I wanted to play golf - I'd be wearing rain gear half the year.

Never had any urge to move to Arizona (my brother lives in Scottsdale - have been there many times in the summer - and it is simply too hot - I don't care if there's no humidity - it feels like you're living in a hairdryer). Or California (terrible taxes - very high cost of living).

In any event - one of the reasons we moved here is we wanted to leave Miami. But we still had 4 living elderly parents - 2 in south Florida - 2 in North Carolina. We moved halfway between them. My FIL wound up spending 3 years in a nursing home here after my MIL died. And my dad moved here after my mom died. My father is happy here. And so are we. There's no particular reason for us to leave - to uproot my dad - and go anywhere else. I have sometimes joked with my husband that when we get old enough to need a senior facility - can't cook - drive - play golf - etc. - we'll move to a swank senior facility in a place like NYC or Chicago where we can take cabs everywhere and go to a lot of shows and concerts. But that is a long ways off....

Robyn

Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Very interesting map! We noticed for a couple of years prior to leaving the Denver, CO south metro area (Parker/Englewood) that there were quite a number of So California people who had moved to the Denver area. We seen numerous California plates and read in the Denver, CO C-D Forum about the moves. However, we thought it was hilarous when those ex-So Calif folks started complaining about the winter......all the snow/whiteout conditions/cold weather! There's a lot of difference between going to the mountains of So Calif for a day of snow skiing and actually LIVING in the snow (like Denver metro winters). But, then again, the thunderstorms here can be more wicked (lightning/downpours) than those in Colorado. We found that out last year during our first summer here.
Gosh - Colorado - snow in the winter. Who would have thunk it ? We were once on I-85 in the winter. Trying to drive from Colorado Springs from Denver. Took us over an hour to go about 2 miles in a blinding snowstorm. When the ice started to freeze up the wheel wells in the car - we gave up - checked into a motel - and spent the next 24 hours reading books and watching TV. The most scary thing we found in the mountain states in the winter on the roads was black ice. Hope never to run into it again. Robyn

Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,728,297 times
Yea, SNOW......who would think? While having the trany serviced on our Dodge Ram, the owner told me about a couple who had their trany serviced because they were moving back to Palm Springs, California. This couple weren't even waiting for their house to be sold.....paying a Realitor to do it all for them. This was in the middle of Oct. and generally by the end of Oct the snow starts flying in the Denver metro area (or at the least, it's getting pretty cold at night then). Anyway, this couple wasn't about to wait around for the cold/snowy weather to begin......they just wanted to "get the heck out of Dodge" before it started. They told the owner "there is no way we are spending another winter here!"
We loved living in Parker, CO, but the winters just got to much for us. After a hip replacement and rotator cuff/shoulder surgery (from fall in ice/snow) we had enough of "old man winter" there.
We really like Jax and the entertainment it does offer. Seeing Grand Funk Railroad last Friday night at the Landing is one reason we like it here. Plus, plenty of boating water here (river, intercoastal, ocean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Gosh - Colorado - snow in the winter. Who would have thunk it ? We were once on I-85 in the winter. Trying to drive from Colorado Springs from Denver. Took us over an hour to go about 2 miles in a blinding snowstorm. When the ice started to freeze up the wheel wells in the car - we gave up - checked into a motel - and spent the next 24 hours reading books and watching TV. The most scary thing we found in the mountain states in the winter on the roads was black ice. Hope never to run into it again. Robyn

Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,437,297 times
I'm enjoying the laid back atmosphere here. First time being in the suburbs in my life is a tad weird, but my wife and child really enjoy the people here and that is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville