Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times

Advertisements

I'm with riveree about Wok N Roll, I've always liked it.

Down in South Mandarin we have a little place called the Great Wall, and we love it. Family owned, been there for years - it is takee outee, but we really have had good food consistently. There's also a new Bistro opened up in the same plaza as the Tree Steak House that has been getting excellent reviews, and is a sit down, table linens affair - Jade's Bistro. I like it a lot, but I have no idea if I don't have as sophisticated a palate as some on this board. I recommend checking it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I'm with riveree about Wok N Roll, I've always liked it.

Down in South Mandarin we have a little place called the Great Wall, and we love it. Family owned, been there for years - it is takee outee, but we really have had good food consistently. There's also a new Bistro opened up in the same plaza as the Tree Steak House that has been getting excellent reviews, and is a sit down, table linens affair - Jade's Bistro. I like it a lot, but I have no idea if I don't have as sophisticated a palate as some on this board. I recommend checking it out.
Jade Bistro seems like another Jackie Lee and PF Chan clone... beautiful interior with expensive food for small portioned plates. Going there for the sophisticated atmosphere but not for the value. personally wouldn't go there again.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I went to Jde Bistro when it first opened. Beautiful inside. Three of us got three different entrees and appetisers and none of us were impressed. We haven't been back. Maybe I should try it again.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 PM

57 posts, read 285,278 times
Default Hong Kong Bistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I wish that Hong Kong Bistro would push the dim sum around on a multi-tiered cart!
Amen to that, HIF. I also share the observation that some popular Dim Sum are Shanghai'd the moment they are taken out of the kitchen, but this happens everywhere. I distinctly remember eating at this gymnasium of a dimsum place in Toronto back in 1999... there was an intermittent procession of dimsum carts being wheeled out of the kitchen, but there were also rubber-necking diners waiting as they came out, and they were guiding these dimsum ladies to their tables so that they can get first dibs at their favorites. I personally did not feel offended, thinking that these folks were in a hurry. Maybe there should be dim sum etiquette, hahaha.

Shigmawei, I also saw a whole roasted pig being taken out of the kitchen to a waiting car. I had serious thoughts of misdirecting the pig to my car. Instead I ordered a small portion of this pig, which they call shiu-yook (if you are ABC, please forgive me if I mis-Pinyin'd the term)... pork belly brined then roasted (they call their cooking process barbecue, but I am sure Southerners will not accept such usage) till the skin is golden and crispy. It is then diced into 1-2 " cubes. It may be too much pork for those who are not used to it, but definitely a favorite among the Asian folk.

By the way, HIF, those wooden tags list food that can be special ordered to go, and include duck, chicken, and pork cooked in a variety of ways. It includes the shiu-yook, so that's how I came to know about it.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyDoc View Post
Amen to that, HIF. I also share the observation that some popular Dim Sum are Shanghai'd the moment they are taken out of the kitchen, but this happens everywhere. I distinctly remember eating at this gymnasium of a dimsum place in Toronto back in 1999... there was an intermittent procession of dimsum carts being wheeled out of the kitchen, but there were also rubber-necking diners waiting as they came out, and they were guiding these dimsum ladies to their tables so that they can get first dibs at their favorites. I personally did not feel offended, thinking that these folks were in a hurry. Maybe there should be dim sum etiquette, hahaha.
few weeks later Silver Star will be using carts too lol...heard they're just too busy during peek hours for made-to-order. Hope they can manage it well. At regular big town carted places it's usually ok to get a suited person (supervisor/manager type) to bring you the food, I always do that when the table stays empty too long. Either that or remind the cart lady to bring me the dishes directly when they get a reload. They want you to eat fast and get the heck outta there for more customers $$$.

Must inquire HKB about their whole roast pork deal...would be awesome for parties. It can also be cooked with so many different dishes that you can't get sick of eating it.

So really, so is there any other hidden gems in JAX?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 AM

94 posts, read 482,103 times
Default just because...

thanks for the info. since we are on that topic...the "chinese" food place called something wok in the bartram park plaza off od old saint augustine and bartram park blvd--the food is horrible! just thought i would add that in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
I'm Chinese...I just moved here from San Francisco, where finding good food is not a problem.
Let me qualify though. I'm not Chinese-Chinese...I'm pretty Americanized...I was born here and don't actually speak the language...I only speak English and Spanish.

However, I grew up with all kinds of Chinese food and I know what is "real" Chinese and what isn't.

So far, there is no place here in Jax that has real Chinese food. I find it sad that people mention Mama Fu's or even PF Chang's. Neither of those places serve real Chinese food. I would imagine that most people here in Jax have no idea what Chinese food is beyond fried rice, lo mein, sweet and sour *insert meat here*, or broccoli beef.

I'm not bashing at all. I acutally like those kinds of things too once in awhile. But you just have to know that they aren't really what Chinese people consider Chinese food. Those restaurants just make it cuz that's what sells.

I'm really eager to try Hong Kong Bistro. Dim Sum? Yes please. I wonder if it's only on weekends?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Just tried Hong Kong Bistro and got to tell you all that it's by far the most authentic Chinese/Cantonese comfort food you'll find in JAX (yet, I hope). Never thought I'll see those kind of dishes here, but wow it's pretty comparable to what most of the Chinese restaurants in LA/NY serves. Dishes that are home style and BIG portions. This is a place you want to eat it family style, please, order few dishes and everyone share with bowls of rice.
Also, if you don't understand the descriptions in the menu, ask the owner lady Liu and she can help you out (from what I overheard). Ask for recommendations based on what type of ingredient you want to eat. Don't go there to order something you would see at some takee outee place, try something different like their casserole (actually it's food stewed in earthen pot).

They have the potential to run the business for a long while, I'm pretty sure lots of local Chinese been waiting for this type of quality. Price is fair for the local market and in order for them to survive.

Will slowly try out more dishes there, eat too often will go broke there

8.5/10 for me (-1.5 for price and slowness, be patient there when it's crowded)

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
I no longer live in Jax but did for over 30 years. My experience is that almost all of the Chinese resturants have gone the way of the Great Buffet of China and none are worth bringing visitors to. I can't think of any local resturants actually serve you at your table. P F Changs does of course but that is a chain. For Japanese resturants I recommend Sushi Cafe in Five Points

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM

63 posts, read 284,746 times
I'm glad you liked it, travelingfood

I agree with the price but that's what you get when there is only one dim sum place around. My parents use to tell me in the good ole days that dim sum dishes use to be less than a $1 but that was like 30 years ago in Chinatown, NY. hehehe

Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigwamei View Post
I'm glad you liked it, travelingfood

I agree with the price but that's what you get when there is only one dim sum place around. My parents use to tell me in the good ole days that dim sum dishes use to be less than a $1 but that was like 30 years ago in Chinatown, NY. hehehe
Oops didn't mention I ordered only from the menu, will go back for dim sum some other weekend. But they certainly made it to my list of 'regulars.'
Prices here are higher since there aren't too many sources to get fresh ingredients, I think Jax Oriental supplies some stores here with their import connections. The same dishes costs 40~60% less in major Asian populated towns $15~20 bucks can usually feed the family good, with leftovers to go too.
Chinatown dim sum still only runs about $1.50~$2.50 for regular dishes and the portions are bigger...but the specialty items will run almost $4~5. Those got to be dedicated dim sum restaurant...if only they would open one here.
Will let you know when SilverStar gets their carts and more items on the menu, to give them another try hehe.

delrioboy: yeh that's what I noticed when I came here...waaaaaay too many WOKs and buffets (their business is great though). The few old restaurants don't really advertise so never heard of them. mostly through word of mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville