Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 66,573 times

Advertisements

In one of posts here, someone referred to living on one side or the other of "the ditch" in St. Augustine. I am considering a move to St Aug. Can you tell me what the the ditch is? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
"the ditch" is the Intracoastal Waterway, the reference is usually made by people who live out at the beach (Jax/Neptune/Atlantic).

When you live at "the beach", you have to cross "the ditch" to go "to town" .

Myfask/Karla used to live in Ponte Vedra and apparently the term is used there as well (Ponte Vedra is St. John's county...same county as St. Augustine).

Old 06-21-2007, 07:13 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
"the ditch" is the Intracoastal Waterway, the reference is usually made by people who live out at the beach (Jax/Neptune/Atlantic).

When you live at "the beach", you have to cross "the ditch" to go "to town" .

Myfask/Karla used to live in Ponte Vedra and apparently the term is used there as well (Ponte Vedra is St. John's county...same county as St. Augustine).
never go over the ditch!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
never go over the ditch!
Except to go to P.F. Chang's, huh Kort?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Except to go to P.F. Chang's, huh Kort?
I had to do an airport run, so while I was out...

Old 06-21-2007, 08:36 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
never go over the ditch! QUOTE

why do you say that?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
never go over the ditch! QUOTE

why do you say that?
why? almost everything I need is in PVB or JAX Beach, a long trip up to Atlantic Beach sometimes.
Of course I am only half serious, but you do get that way here

Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM

135 posts, read 439,596 times
Quote:
why? almost everything I need is in PVB or JAX Beach, a long trip up to Atlantic Beach sometimes.
Of course I am only half serious, but you do get that way here
Kort:

I am from Leonardo, NJ, when did you move from Atlantic Highlands, NJ? Where did you go to school, if you lived there during your school years. We currently live in the Charlotte, NC area but my husband is having a hard time finding a job and he works for UPS and they only have openings in Jacksonville or Kentucky so we are thinking about Florida. How long have you lived there and how would you compare it to Atlantic Highlands??

norrodh

Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Kort:

I am from Leonardo, NJ, when did you move from Atlantic Highlands, NJ? Where did you go to school, if you lived there during your school years. We currently live in the Charlotte, NC area but my husband is having a hard time finding a job and he works for UPS and they only have openings in Jacksonville or Kentucky so we are thinking about Florida. How long have you lived there and how would you compare it to Atlantic Highlands??

norrodh
I've only been here since January, and I didn't grow up in AH, I moved there in '82, but I do know a lot of people who did grow up there.

Comparing Jax to AH is apples and oranges, Jax is a big city and AH is a tiny town, think bigger than Leonardo or AH and compare JAX to all of Monmouth, Jax is huge, bigger than Monmouth both in size and population.
So that is how you should compare the two places, in that regard they are very similar, the beach towns: Jax Beach is like Long Branch without the ghetto and Neptune and Atlantic beach are like Belmar or Bradley Beach without the bennys, Mayport is like Highlands, and where I am, Ponte Vedra Beach is a like a mix of Elberon, Deal, Spring Lake and Sea girt.
The southside would be like freehold around route 9. Then you got the west side which is like Asbury on steroids, stay away, and the northside would be like neptune twp with a dash of tinton falls. Downtown is like a big city, think Philly without people and then their are the areas close to downtown like arlington, think brooklyn NY, and there is san marco, san jose and the river neighborhoods, they a like a nicer citified area.
then there are the rural areas which are like what colts neck was 25 years ago.

All in all if you can swing a job here grab it, the cost of living can be much lower for housing, food can be expensive, other expenses are slightly lower.
Over all it is cheaper to live here than NJ.
I don't know much about KY but I don't think it can beat JAX, the people are friendly, the weather is good ( I haven't been through the summer, but I think I have a good idea of how hot it gets, and that is HOT! and HUMID), there's plenty to do, no state income tax, and as long as you remain savvy and avoid the evil types (which we have no shortage of) Jax can be a great place to live.
good luck and if you need any info, I'll try and help or some of the other experts are sure to chime in

Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM

135 posts, read 439,596 times
Quote:
I've only been here since January, and I didn't grow up in AH, I moved there in '82, but I do know a lot of people who did grow up there.

Comparing Jax to AH is apples and oranges, Jax is a big city and AH is a tiny town, think bigger than Leonardo or AH and compare JAX to all of Monmouth, Jax is huge, bigger than Monmouth both in size and population.
So that is how you should compare the two places, in that regard they are very similar, the beach towns: Jax Beach is like Long Branch without the ghetto and Neptune and Atlantic beach are like Belmar or Bradley Beach without the bennys, Mayport is like Highlands, and where I am, Ponte Vedra Beach is a like a mix of Elberon, Deal, Spring Lake and Sea girt.
The southside would be like freehold around route 9. Then you got the west side which is like Asbury on steroids, stay away, and the northside would be like neptune twp with a dash of tinton falls. Downtown is like a big city, think Philly without people and then their are the areas close to downtown like arlington, think brooklyn NY, and there is san marco, san jose and the river neighborhoods, they a like a nicer citified area.
then there are the rural areas which are like what colts neck was 25 years ago.

All in all if you can swing a job here grab it, the cost of living can be much lower for housing, food can be expensive, other expenses are slightly lower.
Over all it is cheaper to live here than NJ.
I don't know much about KY but I don't think it can beat JAX, the people are friendly, the weather is good ( I haven't been through the summer, but I think I have a good idea of how hot it gets, and that is HOT! and HUMID), there's plenty to do, no state income tax, and as long as you remain savvy and avoid the evil types (which we have no shortage of) Jax can be a great place to live.
good luck and if you need any info, I'll try and help or some of the other experts are sure to chime in
Thanks so much for that explanation, it really puts everything in perspective. It sounds like a nice city. I know it would be bigger than AH but your comparison was great if and when we want to look around. My husband has an opportunity to transfer with UPS down there so he would make what he makes in NJ. He did not go with us to Charlotte because the job fell through at the last minute so the children and I have been down here by ourselves and we love it but we do miss being near the water. We also want him to be close to us and we don't see it happening here in Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city but not a ton of things to do and the jobs are just not here like we thought they were going to be. This way he would not have to leave UPS if we went to Jacksonville. Again thanks for your reply. I will keep you updated on our decision.

norrod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville