Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
CKY CKY started this thread

2 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Jacksonville in about a month because of his job. I have been looking online at different areas to live and I need help figuring out which areas are safe and which are not so safe. We are renting, and are on a budget. We live in Tuscaloosa, AL right now, and only pay about $800 a month in rent. We would like to keep it around that price range. I have found what looks like nice townhomes and apartments in the Arlington and Orange Park areas. Are these ok areas to live? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,014 times
Because Jacksonville is so huge, you need to consider living within 10 miles of your workplace. Traffic can be a nightmare, and sometimes cheaper rent isn't worth it if you have to spend 45 mins to an hour in traffic each way. There are parts of Orange Park and Arlington that are nice and parts that aren't. Can you be more specific? I've lived in a few different apartments on the southside and mandarin. How many bedrooms are you looking for? I can point you in a good direction if you can give some more specifics.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
^^ What Crash said.

Jacksonville is a whole new world when it comes to commuting. Granted, it's not like LA or NYC, but getting from point A to point B can be an excursion depending on time of day.

I personally like Arlington, at least parts of it, but I'm a bit prejudiced since my family has lived here all my life.

What area is your husband's job going to be in? That will help us narrow down some good possibilities that won't have you fighting rush hour traffic both ways.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
CKY CKY started this thread

2 posts, read 2,887 times
We are looking for a two bedroom apartment, preferably with a screened porch because we have animals (two small dogs), and I like to let them sit on the porch without having to take them outside on a leash. My husband works for Comcast, so I think the building is located on Richard Street. I'm not completely sure. He is in business sales, so commuting isn't a huge problem because he has to drive around all day. He barely has to be in the office. We have a few friends down there, and they have told us to look in the Mandarin area. Looks like the easiest thing will be to take a few days to go down there instead of trying to look online. We just wanted to get a few ideas before we went. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 21,260 times
Since your husband's job is on Richard Street, I recommend the Southside of town. Also, I just found out a division of Comcast moved to Southside and Touchton, which is another very nice vibrant side of town. There are a number of restaurants to choose from. Also, Sports Bars and dinner theaters. In addition, the Mandarin area is close to Southside and Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville