Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times

Advertisements

he can be harsh but if u know him youd know hes just pulling your chain besides i hate cmmunicating on forums bc u cant tell tone or intent. but i think u get the point about nat chains. i personally try not eat at the either but every now and then

Kerry theres lots to do after 5pm downtown especially thursday thru sunday. monday thru wednesday except for art walk is dead, i agree.
theres also lots of sit down restuarants in springfield [why does someone always bring it back to that?] the native, waffa and mikes, holas, tommys, carls, three layers, uptown market, city kids, sweet petes, fusion are the ones i can think of and ive been too.

not including fast food joints like mcdonalds, kfc, chinese food drive thrus, captain ds, popeyes, dairy queen [i think theres a dairy queen]. i dont usually goes to those either but they are mostly bt 9 and 12 sts

if you havent been to many except for 3 id reccomend waffaa and mikes or holas. they are always full for lunch and have a good inner crowd too most of time. uptown market got rid of thier deli thats why they arent open as late now but they are adding something else and will stay open late again dont know what yet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
I know I'm in the minority here, but I find La Nopalera to be bland food. usually when I say that, I get a crazy look from people around here, but their food is nothing special.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
This will be a cool edition to 5 points though.

Urban Jacksonville » Blog Archive » Black Sheep Restaurant Group Planning New Restaurant for 5 Points Next To Mossfire

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
he can be harsh but if u know him youd know hes just pulling your chain besides i hate cmmunicating on forums bc u cant tell tone or intent. but i think u get the point about nat chains. i personally try not eat at the either but every now and then

Kerry theres lots to do after 5pm downtown especially thursday thru sunday. monday thru wednesday except for art walk is dead, i agree.
theres also lots of sit down restuarants in springfield [why does someone always bring it back to that?] the native, waffa and mikes, holas, tommys, carls, three layers, uptown market, city kids, sweet petes, fusion are the ones i can think of and ive been too.

not including fast food joints like mcdonalds, kfc, chinese food drive thrus, captain ds, popeyes, dairy queen [i think theres a dairy queen]. i dont usually goes to those either but they are mostly bt 9 and 12 sts

if you havent been to many except for 3 id reccomend waffaa and mikes or holas. they are always full for lunch and have a good inner crowd too most of time. uptown market got rid of thier deli thats why they arent open as late now but they are adding something else and will stay open late again dont know what yet

I understand, but like I said, there's still ways to go about doing things & coming off as the pretentious know-it-all urbanite isn't the way to do it. Besides, these places aren't even really urban anyways, so it's got an extra hint of stupidity to it.

I've been to all those, some quite regularly. Most of those aren't open past midday (Carls, City Kidz, Uptown, etc). And Three Layers, while I love, only has a couple food items. Sweet Pete's isn't a restaurant & Fusion is more of a bar/lounge. So when you get down to it, there isn't much to eat past a certain hour in the day.

And I don't even mean to take it there, like I said, I'm a big fan of the downtown/uptown area. My fam prob spends most our time there. I just don't like when one hood dweller dumps on another, esp when their hood isn't quite up to par on the topic in the first place. I support the cause, just not dumping on others to get the point across.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Hate to do this to you, as I really don't like proving people factually wrong, but.....

Besides, these places aren't even really urban anyways, so it's got an extra hint of stupidity to it.

Yes. The area is part of the urban core, and is considered an urban neighborhood by virtually every account. I can provided many, many, many references if you like.

Most of those aren't open past midday (Carls, City Kidz, Uptown, etc). And Three Layers, while I love, only has a couple food items. Sweet Pete's isn't a restaurant & Fusion is more of a bar/lounge. So when you get down to it, there isn't much to eat past a certain hour in the day.

Incorrect. All are open into the evening. Uptown is the only to close early near mid-day (2-3pm). Not sure how you got that confused with "most". And it will be open later, again, once they make some modications.

Three Layers has far more than "a couple food items": 3 salads, 2 soups, 4 sandwiches, pasta salad, paninis, tuna salad, potato salad, yogarts, smoothies, fruit, a variety of bagels, croissants, chips, ice cream, coffees, breads, pastries, muffins, juices, soft drinks, and a wide variety of cakes, pies, brownies, etc. It's not a large menu, no, but you could go there 10 days in a row and order a different meal each time. Hence, why it's a busy place.

Also, Sweet Pete's isn't so much a "restaurant" as it is a "cafe", if you want to get technical. You can sit down, eat, and drink a cup of coffee, as many have done. Last weekend I had a rootbeer float while a friend had a chocolate sipped cookie and cup of coffee. Fusion is more of a bar/lounge, but also does serve desserts as well. Try the chocolate cake. It's great at 9pm or 1:30am.

I just don't like when one hood dweller dumps on another, esp when their hood isn't quite up to par on the topic in the first place.

I wasn't "dumping" on anyone. If you care to read it, I simply made a general statement, an opinion about something extremely general. But, if you must go down this path, i'd take 10 unique, one-of-a-kind businesses over 20 random chains anyday (which was all that was implied by the 1st comment, anyways)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Hate to do this to you, as I really don't like proving people factually wrong, but.....

Yes. The area is part of the urban core, and is considered an urban neighborhood by virtually every account. I can provided many, many, many references if you like.
What do you mean by "every account"? Yes, I understand that technically these neighborhoods are part of "the core", but you can say that about any city. It doesnt mean its truly "urban". When you can get by without a car & not be totally gimped for doing so, then you can call yourself urban. But you & I probably have a different idea of what's real urbanism.

Quote:
Incorrect. All are open into the evening. Uptown is the only to close early near mid-day (2-3pm). Not sure how you got that confused with "most". And it will be open later, again, once they make some modications.

Three Layers has far more than "a couple food items": 3 salads, 2 soups, 4 sandwiches, pasta salad, paninis, tuna salad, potato salad, yogarts, smoothies, fruit, a variety of bagels, croissants, chips, ice cream, coffees, breads, pastries, muffins, juices, soft drinks, and a wide variety of cakes, pies, brownies, etc. It's not a large menu, no, but you could go there 10 days in a row and order a different meal each time. Hence, why it's a busy place.

Also, Sweet Pete's isn't so much a "restaurant" as it is a "cafe", if you want to get technical. You can sit down, eat, and drink a cup of coffee, as many have done. Last weekend I had a rootbeer float while a friend had a chocolate sipped cookie and cup of coffee. Fusion is more of a bar/lounge, but also does serve desserts as well. Try the chocolate cake. It's great at 9pm or 1:30am.
You're stretching some of that pretty thin. You can't exactly make a meal outta cakes, muffins & candy. And when I say "midday", I mean after 5pm (usually when most people get off work). If you wanna go get an actual meal in Springfield at this time, you've literally only got a couple options. Please dont try to sit there & tell me otherwise, because I know this for a fact. Like I said, I'm here a lot.

Quote:
I wasn't "dumping" on anyone. If you care to read it, I simply made a general statement, an opinion about something extremely general. But, if you must go down this path, i'd take 10 unique, one-of-a-kind businesses over 20 random chains anyday (which was all that was implied by the 1st comment, anyways)
I read all your posts & many do have a snarky condescending tone to them to anything that isn't part of "the core". I admit, "tone" may not come through very well over an internet forum & I may have been mistaken. But you make these types of posts a lot, so I tend to believe it this time as well.

But seriously, I dont care enough to get into this. But you, me & everyone else here knows what's up, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM

=)

you really don't know when to admit you're wrong, do you?

- No, they are not simply part of the "core", they are part of the urban core. Like I said, I can give you many, many, many referneces if you like. Go ahead. Ask for them. (tick tock). Also, you can certainly get by without a car here, if you are able to walk 1 mile, as grocoery, pharmacy, hardware, hospital, arts & culture, parks, eateries, nightlife, etc are all 1 mile or less away in either direction. If it's too hot to walk,...take the bus...er....ride a bike....er...ride a scooter (or whatever mode of transport you like)

- I wouldn't make a meal out of cakes, muffins and candy either. Which place does that?

Here are the true, 100% "restauarants" that serve a "meal" after 5pm: Holas (10pm) , Three Layers (10pm), Waffa & Mikes (9pm), City Kidz (7pm), The Native (7pm) in the 1 sq mile neighborhood.

5 in 1 sq mile.

Not including 'cafes', fastfood, etc.

Those are weekday times, btw, not weekends, which may vary.

So that is "literally" more than "a couple", again.

Yes, I also just sat here and told you otherwise. You obviously don't know as much as you think you know.

Now, if you really want to get crazy and head 1 mile South (gasp, 1 mile!) into Downtown, you have about 15 more. (Chew, Casa Dora, Zodiac, De Real Ting, Cafe 331, Juliette's, Chicago Pizza, American Cafe, Vinos, Benny's, Hooters, etc, etc, etc)

- Yes, I can come across as "snarky" sometimes b/c people, such as yourself, who think they know what they are talking about actually don't. They are blissfully unaware of thier own ignorance. And can't possibly accept that someone actually is more familar with a certain issue than they are.

And I happen to use F A C T S to back it up, not some inaccurate generality or exagerration.

You know more now that you've read this, and you're welcome.

Last edited by fsu813; 08-10-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 AM

754 posts, read 2,803,465 times
...sometimes b/c people, ... who think they know what they are talking about actually don't.

And yet you keep talking.

They are blissfully unaware of thier own ignorance.

Project much?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 AM

432 posts, read 1,303,677 times
Well back to the topic!

Alot of people are upset that Up The Creek closed as they were the only sit down breakfast place out here? (don't go out to breakfast much).

I'm looking forward to La Nop! I have always enjoyed that place.

The towncenter is coming along......what I really like is how friendly all the owners of the franchises are. The owner of Brusters is having an ice cream eating contest on August 20th between Oakleaf HS Football vs. Orange Park Football! That will be fun!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM

good idea. its always good when business owners get the community involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville