Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 PM

83 posts, read 206,356 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, we have just moved to Gulf Breeze 4 months ago, then the oil spill happened. Now, we are looking at the possibility of moving to St.Augustine or one of the beaches near there next spring. My priority is the beach. My husband and I are 54yrs old and 66 respectively. Right now, all I want is a clean beach and calm, quiet living. Some culture would be nice, but mainly living stress free as possible. My health is at risk. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Atlantic Beach in Jacksonville is nice. best beach in Jax IMO

Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
I agree w Atlantic Beach. Prob the nicest beach in the area that's affordable & has a good little culture to it that seems like a real beachy type community. Not a lot of tourists either.

Sorry about the Gulf. I've lived & traveled around much of it & it's true. They generally don't put nearly as much care into it as the Atlantic side beaches do. I lived on the coast in southeast TX & went to a lot of the beaches up & down that coast. I can't tell you how many times I saw trash on the beaches, in the water, dirty diapers, you name it. And people just swimming in it like it's all good. Pretty freakin disgusting & just kinda make you mad that people treat it like that. So when I see the videos of kids who's parents are letting them swim when there are tar balls on the same beach, it sadly doesn't surprise me.

It's a shame because some of it is really beautiful, but it's used as a dumping ground a lot of times. Check out how many off-shore wells have been drilled & abandoned sometime. It's immense. And a lot of them are thought to have crappy seal jobs & are leaking crude still.

This spill will def kill a lot of communities & make it that much worse off.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:31 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
Saint Augustine can be far from quiet at times especially in the summer months, have you looked at the Villano Beach area to the north? Much less traffic, no crowds and plenty of beaches.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 18,333 times
Sounds like you would be happy in the Nocatee/Ponte Vedra Beach area here. Unless you want to be "on the beach" you can find quiet in this area and be on the beach in 10 minutes. Google Nocatee and have fun!

Welcome to the east coast where FL begins!

Nancy

Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks, KerryB. Yes, I had such high hopes, but now they are all dashed as far as the Gulf is concerned. I had no idea the Gulf was being used as a dumping ground. Did you know they have even dumped chemical weapons in there?!! Well, Atlantic beach sounds like one of the places I need to investigate. I do want to live on the beach. Is that possible on Atlantic Beach? Is it expensive?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Atlantic Beach is nice. Also, Fernadina Beach (North of Jacksonville by about 35 minutes) might also appeal to you. It's a smaller scale St. Augustine.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Do any of you know anything about Crescent Beach? I've heard it is quieter and less crime. Is that true? How's the diversity there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville