Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 PM

399 posts, read 719,284 times

Advertisements

So, how are people's attitudes in Jacksonville in general? Are people rude or friendly? I know there are all types anywhere you go, but in some places people are generally either nice and welcoming or stuck up/unfriendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 AM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
It depends on what you consider friendly. Did you have a pet rock as a kid? If you did, and you thought it was warm and friendly , then yes the people here are friendly.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I have to say that I think the people of Jacksonville are very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. My friend and I went for a four day beach getaway and everyone we encountered was wonderful to us. From the staff at the Fairfield Inn on Jax Beach, to Chris, the nice guy waiter at the Landshark, and Chuck, the classic rock musician who played requests poolside, we couldn't have had a better experience. Every place we went people were nice and eager to point us in the right direction. I've never eaten so well, listened to so much good live music, and had such a great mini-vacation and it was all due to the wonderful people of Jacksonville. Thank you for welcoming us and making us feel right at home. You are the best!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM

70 posts, read 309,079 times
Default Very friendly

My family will be moving down from NY in Sept. We have always found the people of JAX to be helpful and friendly. Was just in at the home I'm buying on Thursday. I made arrangements with 4 contractor for different inspections. ALL 4 SHOWED UP ON TIME. In NY that would be called a miracle.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
JAx people, in my opinion, are still overall pretty friendly. By far the friendlist big city in FL. Compared to SFL, people in Jax are very friendly.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
JAX people are great, bar none. Have enjoyed my first year here.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,268 times
liedj- what contractors did you use, I could use some suggestions! Need an electrician and a GC.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
One thing wife/I have found out, people who's job depends on being friendly, are friendly, such as a Waiter, Waitress, church Clergy and others. They are PAID to be friendly. If you have kids that are pre-teen thru teen, you end up making friends with parents of other kids.
Living in Colorado/Denver area, we found very few people that were friendly. Moved to the Charlotte, NC area and found the same. Moved down here to Jax and have found pretty much the same. The church here on the south end of Jax that we've gone to a few times, the people seemed to be extremely stuck up/unfriendly.........and that's at a church!! We are currently looking for another church to attend!
Just the day-and-age we all live in!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
I'm very friendly. And if you don't agree, then to heck with you, you no-good #%^$@!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Loveboating: So none of the past 3 cities you have lived in have been friendly? I hear great things about Denver including the people. I can see that about Charlotte for some reason, but here in Jax it totally depends on how you are and whether your personality meshes with the neighborhood you are in.

I think the dilemna is not whether people are "friendly" or not, but where you are. If you are going to live in an older, more established neighborhood, it could be difficult to "fit in" or make friends considering everyone there already kind of knows each other and has their little group. People in a neighborhood know people in other neighborhoods around the city and country, but all of these neighborhoods are also older and established with the same type of people. Jags coach Jack Del Rio had to leave Ortega for that reason (I think it was that reason).

In a newer neighborhood where everyone just moved there, people get to know each other on a pretty superficial basis, and it is outwardly pleasing, but still a little frustrating because sometimes you don't REALLY know who your neighbors are and people are a little more closed off towards everyone. Should I even mention that some people have a notion that people that are from certain other geographic areas are less friendly period? They tend to move to newer neighborhoods.

It seems to me that the friendliest neighborhood in Jacksonville is actually Springfield. I don't know if you consider yourself an "urban pioneer" but from all accounts I guarantee you'll know more about your future neighbors and lots of other residents than your current ones, and before you move in. It is truly an "active" community as someone else put it.

The Beaches area seems to be very friendly, as well, especially Atlantic and Neptune Beach. The problem there is not only cost if that's a barrier, but whether you enjoy the beach bum lifestyle. Once again, friendliness totally depends on your personality/characteristics as well as the personality/characteristics of the neighborhood, and how they mesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville