Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,483,828 times

Advertisements

Saw the sign on the way to work this morning. Opening at the shops by Julington Creek bridge. Very nice. We need a few more breakfast places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 AM

310 posts, read 865,992 times
They will be very welcome here! It's good to see the traffic at that location of the grocery store and wings place, although it still gives me pain to remember the irreplaceable giant trees they removed in order to get that little corner. There are so many other locations with empty storefronts which could have been used (and that's an argument for another day). We pass by it daily so know that area well.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 AM

I haven't been here too long, so I don't even remember what was there before the shopping center.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM

250 posts, read 703,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
They will be very welcome here! It's good to see the traffic at that location of the grocery store and wings place, although it still gives me pain to remember the irreplaceable giant trees they removed in order to get that little corner. There are so many other locations with empty storefronts which could have been used (and that's an argument for another day). We pass by it daily so know that area well.
you just said what i think everytime i see a new stripmall go up in this already spread out and diluted city.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I haven't been here too long, so I don't even remember what was there before the shopping center.
The trees were some of the same magnificent, large oaks you see throughout much of old Mandarin along the river. At the time there was some controversy over the plans to develop it, so people did at least try. I'm not what most consider a "tree-hugger", more of a bird-loving naturalist who appreciates that these trees are part of the ambience of Mandarin and within reason, should be preserved. Of course the property owner had the right to do what he wanted with it, but in light of the fact that there was so much other retail space on that section of San Jose Blvd. was it the best choice? Many of us think not.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
you just said what i think everytime i see a new stripmall go up in this already spread out and diluted city.
This city is strip-mall crazy and it really takes away from how lovely it could be with some more careful planning.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM

2,559 posts, read 6,469,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
This city is strip-mall crazy and it really takes away from how lovely it could be with some more careful planning.
Just a bit off-topic, but what's the alternative to a strip-mall in a mostly residential section of town? All these homeowners need places to shop, so why not a small shopping center close to home? Sure, places like Avondale and Riverside aren't flooded with them, but one could easily classify those limited-offering retail spaces as strip-malls. Am I missing something?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,474,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Just a bit off-topic, but what's the alternative to a strip-mall in a mostly residential section of town? All these homeowners need places to shop, so why not a small shopping center close to home? Sure, places like Avondale and Riverside aren't flooded with them, but one could easily classify those limited-offering retail spaces as strip-malls. Am I missing something?
You can make walkable suburbs that have centralized shopping, dining, etc, instead of a litter of smaller strip malls scattered everywhere. Cities do that all the time. They're "walkable suburbs" that act like cities, just not in the "core".

Jax seems to want you to drive as much as possible. I've never put so many miles on a car since I've lived here. It's crazy & really starting to wear thin on me. High density is the key, no matter if we're talking about the core or the suburbs.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Just looked it up on Google Street View since the picture was taken a while ago. Those were nice trees.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Have you been to that area of Mandarin? There is a plethora of small strip malls and numerous office parks within a stone's throw distance, as well as across the street from where this particular one opened. My guess is the owner wanted to take advantage of the marina customers who don't like to walk more than 50 ft. to anything. Pretty much all of San Jose Blvd. from 295 south to Saint Johns county is one strip mall after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville