Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,610,151 times

Advertisements

So, on Saturday I used JEA's phone system to pay our electric bill. Unfortunately, it hiccuped and hung up on me before I could get a confirmation number. I called on Monday to see if the payment had been accepted and was told that there was no record of the transaction.

Since I didn't want to risk loss of service I went ahead and did a payment over the phone while talking to the rep. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went to use the debit card and it was declined. After checking my account online, I found out that they had debited my account twice for the $500 payment.

Here's where the fun starts. I called JEA, and was told that I would need to get a letter from the bank showing that the payment had gone through, and bring it to the JEA office to request a refund. So, I canceled the job I had scheduled for today and started off on my trek. First to the bank, to get the letter. Then to the JEA office at Beach and St. John's Bluff. Upon arriving, I was informed that 1) JEA will not pay any fees from the bank for putting my account into overdraft. 2) They will issue a check for the overpay amount, but I won't see it for 3 to 5 days. Of course, it took almost an hour to find out this information, since the girl I was talking to wandered off in the midst of our conversation and was gone for 20 minutes (I guess she was hoping I would give up and leave).

Yet another incentive for me to switch my house over to solar power, I guess. And of course, I'll never use their phone system to make a payment again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM

2,557 posts, read 6,459,437 times
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Man, I would've just made the payment online or in person. Good luck on gettin' that check.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 AM

432 posts, read 1,303,582 times
Yikes! I hate when things like that happen!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM

19 posts, read 45,121 times
I am not surprised at all!!! Sorry that happen to you; don’t you love how they inconvenience you, but make it seem like you did something wrong, Darn you for paying your bill Is there really such a thing as customer service anymore????

Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,123 times
yea JEA can be hard to deal with!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM

216 posts, read 945,707 times
Ouch a $500 JEA bill. Glad mine last month was only $176

Old 08-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
Ouch a $500 JEA bill. Glad mine last month was only $176
Central Air went out and we're living with window units. Run a couple of them for a month, and your bill goes up fast

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

216 posts, read 945,707 times
That would drive the bill up, that happened to a family member. Mines less since there's no water/sewer/trash cost. Also have reduced costs by changing out all the light bulbs to (CFLs), and monitoring the thermostat. Even though the (CFLs) cost more, they do save energy, but you just don't get the same light as a regular bulb. A few years ago installed 4 skylights to eliminate having a light on during the day.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Yeah, we've recently switched the bulbs over to CFL. We have a couple of ceiling fans that CFLs won't work in, but they're only 20 watt bulbs so I'm not too worried. We hardly use the lights on the fans anyway. Also, there was an issue with the previous month's bill so we were a bit behind. That being said, this last bill was still over $300 by itself. Ah well, cool weather is coming, right? Right?

Update: Got the check from JEA today. At least they did something fast.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM

622 posts, read 1,657,985 times
Wow Jim, that's crazy!!! What a pain. I had a hell of a time trying to get our business account set up. I had to prove that I worked for my company (wearing a company shirt and having company letterhead wasnt good enough) they said that I could be trying to turn on electric service (and paying the deposit with my own money!) in some other company's name.. I know that must be such a problem around here..

Anyway, glad you got your check! Sucks about the overdraft charges.. They operate like a government subsidized company..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville